04-14-11 04:48 PM
73 123
tools
    Not a flattering photo. Hope it looks better in real life then it does there.
    Sort of looks cheap.

Tim
    Don't get your hopes too high, plastic is the material of choice RIM uses on their devices.
    03-31-11 07:25 PM
    What do you all think? There is clearly an icon blanked out in the picture in the OP.
    Wonder no longer! Using the most advanced photo imaging tools available today I was able to sharpen up the image using x-ray jpeg metadata (also known as xjm) technology to get a clear view of what was underneath.

andyahs, bighap and NobleSix like this.
    03-31-11 07:45 PM
    Don't get your hopes too high, plastic is the material of choice RIM uses on their devices.
    Storm2 had a metal battery cover... and very solid hardware (I probably like the looks of the S2 better than the Bold I'm using now, its just the crappy S2 software that made me switch)
    03-31-11 07:57 PM
    I see RIM hasn't changed the design path for battery doors. Still leaving that for the last step before it goes out the door. I hope we don't have another loose one again.
    04-01-11 01:00 AM
    I see RIM hasn't changed the design path for battery doors. Still leaving that for the last step before it goes out the door. I hope we don't have another loose one again.
    Gotta agree with the loose battery door for the 9550. But the Monaco battery has already been shown for awhile. They could be hiding it for protection of the carrier. (Verizon?)

Also, the leaked documents from the last few months have shown it on there.

Regarding the 9550 loose battery door, it's the only part that has taken damage to numerous drops in my experience. The brushed aluminum coating on it looks amazing until it scrapes up. For some reason, every other part on the device holds up really well. The dark chrome on the trim of my 9550 isn't even damaged one bit after a year and a half.

Other than that, I still love the build quality of my Storm 2. I don't care if it's plastic, it feels a lot better than a Samsung Galaxy S's use of plastic. The exterior design is just great to me. A little heftier than most other phones out today though so hopefully the Monaco should resolve that with it's thinner design.

Loving the all white button icons on the bottom. Not like it's anything new, but it looks more professional than the green/red we have now. It would look cleaner without the trackpad but the light up is a nice touch. Also, glad to see the screen will be more flush with the design since it does not have the "clicking" screen that caused the gap.
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 04-01-11 at 02:48 AM.
    04-01-11 01:51 AM
    What is in the top left corner? It looks like a sticker covering something, or is that my imagination?
    It definitely does look like that top left corner is blacked out also its just harder to tell. Almost like its harder to tell that the two bottom left icons are blacked out too.
    I'd love for it to be a front facing camera althou I don't think that's where they'd put it but there is def something blacked out there.
    04-01-11 06:16 AM
    It looks great and so does os 6.1. I really believe that it is running on an os6 kernel or micro kernel. Stoked.

Also i heard they were getting rid of PIN (like bbm pin?) for the universal login, which would be better especially when you change phones, you won't have to add your bbm contacts again. Ah yeah....
    Yeah that's one thing I can't stand: Whenever you switch BB's, even though you backup your contacts remotely/locally, you STILL have to send an add request. Extremely fustrating.
    04-01-11 06:39 AM
    Wonder no longer! Using the most advanced photo imaging tools available today I was able to sharpen up the image using x-ray jpeg metadata (also known as xjm) technology to get a clear view of what was underneath.

LMAO that's awesome
    04-01-11 06:42 AM
    Yeah that's one thing I can't stand: Whenever you switch BB's, even though you backup your contacts remotely/locally, you STILL have to send an add request. Extremely fustrating.
    I've switched pins three times now and never had to resend invites?????? Storm 1 and storm 2 user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 03:05 PM
    OMG if they released Angry Birds for this phone I am so getting it.
    04-02-11 02:31 AM
    Got to admit, I like me some angry birds as well. Lol!

Looks good for most part, but not a huge change from other Storm series phones...

Pics never do it justice, so will wait till it comes out and go play with one to see how I really feel about it.

Specs alone are sweet though. IMO anyway....

04-02-11 07:08 AM
    Geez what have you been doiNg with your phone? I've had the storm 1 and am currently using a Storm 2. 2.5 years later and I've NEVER had that problem. Lol. Ya'll need to love your phones more. Treat them special.

It looks great and so does os 6.1. I really believe that it is running on an os6 kernel or micro kernel. Stoked.

Also i heard they were getting rid of PIN (like bbm pin?) for the universal login, which would be better especially when you change phones, you won't have to add your bbm contacts again. Ah yeah....
    I have also never had to readd contacts. I just use my email and it restores them all. There was ONE time where it was taking forever so I used the option of backing up from a saved file. Easy schmeezy.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 04-05-11 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting syntax.
    04-05-11 07:40 PM
    Geez what have you been doiNg with your phone? I've had the storm 1 and am currently using a Storm 2. 2.5 years later and I've NEVER had that problem. Lol. Ya'll need to love your phones more. Treat them special.

I don't think I said anything in that post about the Storm battery doors being loose. I think two of you here assumed that was the case. However, the 8830 and 9630 battery doors did have issues. Honestly, while the S2 door was solid, it does have some very slight fitment issues. (It doesn't sit flush on all edges and kind of bombs out on one of the corners.) The final form and fit is just not of a high tolerance, that's all. That's why I say that these phones should have final doors on them while engineers and testers work with them. That way they can catch these issues before it goes into a full production run. The 9630 for example got its final door design very close to release and I believe that was the reason for the poor fit and bad QC.

As for taking the door off to hide carrier branding.... Isn't that what they make masking tape for?
    04-05-11 11:54 PM
    I don't think I said anything in that post about the Storm battery doors being loose. I think two of you here assumed that was the case. However, the 8830 and 9630 battery doors did have issues. Honestly, while the S2 door was solid, it does have some very slight fitment issues. (It doesn't sit flush on all edges and kind of bombs out on one of the corners.) The final form and fit is just not of a high tolerance, that's all. That's why I say that these phones should have final doors on them while engineers and testers work with them. That way they can catch these issues before it goes into a full production run. The 9630 for example got its final door design very close to release and I believe that was the reason for the poor fit and bad QC.

As for taking the door off to hide carrier branding.... Isn't that what they make masking tape for?
    You're right, you didn't mention them by name. I did assume you were talking about the Storm series though. Seeing as how this was a post about the touchscreen to replace it.

I can only imagine all the post from the BlackBerry haters if they were to see a picture of a BlackBerry with masking tape on it. Lol. "RIM using masking tape to hold their p.o.s. phones together"...blah, blah, blah, etc , etc....
    04-06-11 12:08 AM
    We'll all be raving/ranting over a review of an actual hands-on video OF the actual device being used. Now that will be something else

04-06-11 04:39 AM
    Got to admit, I like me some angry birds as well. Lol!

You know what's really bizarre.....I downloaded Angry Birds when I got the Atrix. I'm only up to level 13. I must be missing the game gene. I don't really play it. Just not that into it.
    04-06-11 05:39 AM
    What do you all think? There is clearly an icon blanked out in the picture in the OP.

Any ideas?

Also seems like some parts of the screens are transparent and show the wall paper behind it, like the maps icon, or the top of the header. Interesting.
    Email addresses of the person using the phone? Whenever I take screenshots of my BB, I always blackout my email addresses.

Just a guess.
    04-08-11 01:32 PM
    So is this Rims competitor for the Iphone?
    04-09-11 12:15 PM
    Here we go again..... Why does it have to be a competition? If a person wants an Iphone that's what they will get. If they want a BB. They will get that. MAYBE if they both did the exact same thing except one did it better and faster THEN that would be a real competition.
    But they are two totally different interfaces. The main purpose of them are different. One is focused more on multimedia and the other, multitasking/communication. So really there is no competition there. It all just comes right back down to the buyer.

04-09-11 12:56 PM
    I'm sorry I wasted your time with my question!

04-09-11 01:00 PM
    Hahaha. Well now I'm sorry I wasted my time responding to it. Lol.

04-09-11 01:02 PM
    I've switched pins three times now and never had to resend invites?????? Storm 1 and storm 2 user.

You BBM contacts would have you in BBM with your old PINs unless you do another invite. But perhaps it's somehow picked up when you message? Not sure how that works.
    04-10-11 09:29 AM
    Yes of course it is. RIM didn't like touchscreens Lazaridas said so himself but the market is saying the opposite they want touchscreens that's why RIM created the storm series. This is a direct competitor to the iPhone and slew of android devices.

04-10-11 10:59 AM
    Oh I gotta say the device looks pretty damn good. Hopefully the UI experience is smooth and snappy.

04-10-11 11:00 AM
    qnx hh next will be
    04-10-11 12:08 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD