08-20-10 08:06 AM
    The new rate was announced to developers a couple of months ago, and was already in force before App World 2.0 was released. I'm actually happy about this as a developer. Carrier billing will increase sales but traditionally takes a huge slice of gross revenue, around 50%. I expect that once carrier billing is in place it will become the dominant source of App World payment. Given the traditional carrier cut, a 30% share for RIM is actually quite generous: most if not all of that would have to go to the carriers. I have to wonder if RIM will actually make any money out of App World.

This is a big deal for the BlackBerry world. If you think about it, the main app stores for other major smartphone platforms do not have carrier billing. I'm not saying that carrier billing is completely unavailable -- the carrier-specific stores will of course have that -- but among the platform app stores, only RIM's App World has carrier billing. That will change soon but for once, RIM is the market leader.
    08-20-10 08:44 AM