OK so I've downloaded Blackberry Protect and installed it on my 9700. It works well - I can backup my data, I can remotely send it messages, make it ring find out where it is....

But one day someone steals it, then goes into App World and uninstalls the application - I can no longer send messages, lock or wipe it........

What's the point.......

Maybe App World or Protect should ask you for a password before it can be deleted ?

03-30-11 04:23 PM
    Even if he uninstalls appworld. you will still have time to backup your device and wipe it
    03-30-11 04:40 PM
    I think in the case of theft, even if the device were wiped, you could still regain and restore your data to a new BlackBerry.

Sure, IF the theif were smart enough to wipe it right away (or delete the app) you would lose the ability to gps locate it, or send it a message or make it buzz...but at least you'd have a backup

Mark

@allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-11 05:54 PM
    In all seriousness, it's more useful to cdma devices as with gsm the first thing they would do is take the sim card out.
    I am using it mainly for back up or just in case i forget where i put it, i've stopped using gmail to synch contacts and calendar, i just use Protect and restored beautifully after a wipe.

But, you should always always have a password set on your device.
    03-30-11 07:43 PM
    Yeah, I think the assumption is that your device is password-protected so someone who does find it can't get rid of your security software before you realize it's missing and have the ability to lock it remotely. If your device isn't secure, no such program (BlackBerry Protect, Lookout, SmrtGuard, etc.) is going to do you any good. (People do put a password on their BlackBerry, right? I'm not the only one?)

Could a thief get around your password? Sure. Is whoever stole or found your lost phone (more likely) going to know how, and wipe it before you can remotely lock it? Probably not real likely.
    03-30-11 09:38 PM
    But one day someone steals it, then goes into App World and uninstalls the application - I can no longer send messages, lock or wipe it........

What's the point.......

Maybe App World or Protect should ask you for a password before it can be deleted ?
    Earlier today I was reading another forum area here at crackberry where someone was asking how to delete an app. I realize it is possible, but unlikely, that a theif would have a clue what to delete or where and how to delete it.

I know many current and previous BB owners who have never heard of BB App World It amazes me. There are plenty of people (including BB owners) who think the only way on the globe to download an app is with an ixxxx at App Store.

Yes.....I think password protection to access or delete the app should be and probably will be a feature for Protect in future releases.

As it is......Protect provides many useful features and some were previously available only with paid Apps. I think the next few releases of Protect will do nothing but get even better.
    03-30-11 11:06 PM
    ......as with gsm the first thing they would do is take the sim card out.
    I would like to know if a sim card change would inhibit Protect. I did some reading and found nothing. Will have to try.

I use Wheres My Phone Pro (with a password protect option) and you are sent an email notification with a sim card change and you can still control the phone with Wheres My Phone Pro.

Anyway.........I haven't seen an answer to this yet with Protect.
    03-30-11 11:17 PM
    Changing ur sim to another without a bb plan will render protect useless.

03-31-11 12:54 AM
    I would like to know if a sim card change would inhibit Protect. I did some reading and found nothing. Will have to try.

I use Wheres My Phone Pro (with a password protect option) and you are sent an email notification with a sim card change and you can still control the phone with Wheres My Phone Pro.

Anyway.........I haven't seen an answer to this yet with Protect.
    Lol, what does it matter, so it let's you know the person that found yor phone has no intention of returning it to you. Once the Sim is out that's it.

03-31-11 01:16 AM
    A similar app has an "un-install protection", that would be a great solution to everyone's concerns here. Having a separate password for deletion of BlackBerry Protect. I have sent feedback to RIM already regarding this.
    03-31-11 08:09 AM
    Lol, what does it matter, so it let's you know the person that found yor phone has no intention of returning it to you. Once the Sim is out that's it.
    - WRONG -
    Once the sim card is changed.......you still have the ability to operate Wheres My Phone Pro. You are sent a text message or email with the sim change notification from THE NEW PHONE NUMBER. You can then send messages to the new sim/phone # just as you would your own #. You can still locate the phone. You can still lock the phone. You can still wipe the phone.
    Details here under Sim Change #.

I realize that this does not immediately return your phone via overnight delivery . But.... at least you have the ability to track/locate the phone, lock, and wipe even after a sim card change.

One feature I like about protect is the locate feature provides an online map to view the location of the phone. Wheres My Phone sends you the coordinates of the phone via text/email. You then have to insert those into a mapping program to determine location.
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-31-11 at 08:52 AM.
    03-31-11 08:31 AM
    A similar app has an "un-install protection", that would be a great solution to everyone's concerns here. Having a separate password for deletion of BlackBerry Protect. I have sent feedback to RIM already regarding this.
    If one doesn't bother setting up the device password do you really think they would bother with an app speciffic password?

03-31-11 08:36 AM
    - WRONG -
    Once the sim card is changed.......you still have the ability to operate Wheres My Phone Pro. You can still locate the phone. You can still lock the phone. You can still wipe the phone. You can do all of this via text message and/or email.

I realize that this does not immediately return your phone via overnight delivery . But.... at least you have the ability to track/locate the phone, lock, and wipe even after a sim card change.

One feature I like about protect is the locate feature provides an online map to view the location of the phone. Wheres My Phone sends you the coordinates of the phone via text/email. You then have to insert those into a mapping program to determine location.
    Lol, are you that nave? I said taking the sim out not changing it. A wipe will get rid of everything on the phone then put the new sim in. Criminals are not stupid. Well most are not.
    I'm just saying it's a false sense of security.

03-31-11 08:43 AM
    lol....naive...not at all.

I know that I have a much better chance of locating and recovering my phone if it's lost or stolen than most do.

I also realize that it's not perfect. There is the possiblity that 1 in 1,000 (or less) who might find my phone and not return it would also remove the sim and not put another one in or wipe it before they do.

Whether it's 1 in 10 or 1 in 10,000 ........ I have a much better chance of recovering my phone than most.
    03-31-11 09:05 AM
    If one doesn't bother setting up the device password do you really think they would bother with an app speciffic password?

They sure would, if they were prompted to and given a short explanation as to why they needed to. I think the main reason people don't set passwords for their device is for sheer convenience, so they don't have to put it in every time they want to use their phone.
    03-31-11 09:16 AM
    Some good points brought up in here.

Protect sounds feature rich but many of the features are useless, least to me.

I can already easily and fully backup all my data with BB Desktop Software.

If I lose my phone, my main concern is not the data but the phone itself cause that's costing me $$$$. If I can't get it back, I want the ability to brick the phone so no one else can ever use it either.
    04-05-11 12:53 PM
    As an AT&T user, I have a SIM. I would think (though I don't know) that there are some IMEI and PIN number associations that would allow for access to the phone even if the SIM has been switched. I have another SIM card that I'll try in it a little later and see what happens when that is done.

Otherwise for someone who isn't all that concerned about protecting my BB (like has been said, I back up all my stuff on DM and I don't have sensitive information that I wouldn't want anyone to have on my BB) this will be usefull more so if I ever lose it. That's my main concern. My phone is regularily on silent so calling it doesn't always work. So having a GPS signal or a loud ring will really come in handy from time to time. Also, being able to backup and restore most all of my stuff from anywhere is a nice thing to have too.
    04-05-11 01:13 PM
    I like the feature of Wheres My Phone that can lock and disable the phone and you can send a text message from another phone to activate it.

Some good points brought up in here.

Protect sounds feature rich but many of the features are useless, least to me.

I can already easily and fully backup all my data with BB Desktop Software.

If I lose my phone, my main concern is not the data but the phone itself cause that's costing me $$$$. If I can't get it back, I want the ability to brick the phone so no one else can ever use it either.
    04-05-11 02:15 PM
    I like the feature of Wheres My Phone that can lock and disable the phone and you can send a text message from another phone to activate it.
    I like that, and everything, about BuddyGuard. Wondering if there is any advantage to BB Protect (besides the free price?)

Thanks in advance.
    04-05-11 03:13 PM
    Will Blackberry Protect still do a remote wipe on a phone after it's been reported to the carrier? Or would that even be necessary?
    04-17-11 11:56 PM
    Will Blackberry Protect still do a remote wipe on a phone after it's been reported to the carrier? Or would that even be necessary?
    I wouldn't rely on Protect to do a wipe, make sure you set a password on your device and that will automatically do a wipe if anybody tries to unlock it. It's the only sure way to wipe your device.

04-18-11 05:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD