05-03-11 11:10 PM
31 12
tools
    Are there any reasons NOT to use this (forgetting about the questions I have regarding security of backed up data)?

I.e., have there been any reports of significant problems after loading? Drain? lag? etc......
    03-22-11 01:27 PM
    After to speaking with VZ and RIM I completed a survey expressing my frustration that BB Protect would not work on the VZ 150mb plan. I was called several days later by a RIM representative who told me the matter had been elevated and that RIM would take it up with VZ. She said that she would call me back. Well she actually called me today to tell me that VZ agreed to allow BB PRotect on the limited plan effective yesterday. I was aware as my phone did a back up yesterday and thanked her for all the assistance and the follow up. Told her I'm a BB user for life. No iPhone and she laughed. Hope they send me another survey. She really did her job well.
    I'm glad you got this worked out to your satisfaction. But now I'm wondering how much data BB protect actually uses, over the period of a month, for its operation (when set to follow a reasonably normal schedule). As one of the reps told you, the previous policy could well have been a way of protecting users without unlimited plans from the nasty surprise of unexpected overages.

Sure, we can all budget our data usage by avoiding the OBVIOUS data-intensive uses...as you've said, the kids can watch their YouTube videos, listen to music, etc. on the PC instead of the phone. But something like BB Protect is one of those background apps that we don't think about constantly.

Obviously, the most conservative use would be to set it to back up monthly or manually, limit the types of items to be backed up, only allow backup over WiFi, and not activate the location option. But if it's set to back up everything daily, allows for backup while roaming, and the GPS is constantly working to transmit the phone's location, that would be the opposite extreme.

I can understand how easy it would be for someone who sees a huge overage charge on their bill think, "WTH? I wasn't streaming videos or music, watching TV and movies on the phone, or tethering to my computer, so what is THIS all about?" because it's so easy to forget about a background application. Let us know how this works out for you.
    03-27-11 12:38 AM
    I have been following this thread very carefully.

Unfortunately, I still have no satisfaction with BB Protect running on my Rogers Torch. I've been through the mill with their tech support department, who is blaming RIM, then they tell me there's a setting that Customer Service has to enable on my account for data (I already have 1GB data), then Customer Service tells me it's a technical issue and tech support doesn't know what they're talking about.

At this point I've removed the app from my Torch. It's unfortunate as I would really like to be able to use it. I have to say that I'm running it perfectly fine using a BB 9100, 9780 and another Torch (all on a different carrier). It's only the Rogers phone that won't work (message now says "Your service plan does not include BlackBerry Protect").

I have asked Rogers to contact RIM on my behalf, since should I have to call them, I think they charge $$ for a support call, as it seems to be specific to my account/Rogers config. Of course they're unwilling to do that.

We've tried everything, resetting my account, deleting and re-adding the 1GB data plan, uninstalling/reinstalling, you name it.

If *anyone* here has *any* idea as to what could be the problem, I'd be grateful to hear.

Thanks.
    03-27-11 09:40 AM
    Spoke to O2 UK and they asked me to call RIM, which wasnt much help as there is no customer support without purchasing their support plan.

I tried speak to O2 again, and they just keep sayin that they have no idea of this service and its RIMs problem, not theirs and i should speak to them.
    Same issue here, but with Rogers Wireless (Toronto).
    03-27-11 09:41 AM
    I'm glad you got this worked out to your satisfaction. But now I'm wondering how much data BB protect actually uses, over the period of a month, for its operation (when set to follow a reasonably normal schedule). As one of the reps told you, the previous policy could well have been a way of protecting users without unlimited plans from the nasty surprise of unexpected overages.

Sure, we can all budget our data usage by avoiding the OBVIOUS data-intensive uses...as you've said, the kids can watch their YouTube videos, listen to music, etc. on the PC instead of the phone. But something like BB Protect is one of those background apps that we don't think about constantly.

Obviously, the most conservative use would be to set it to back up monthly or manually, limit the types of items to be backed up, only allow backup over WiFi, and not activate the location option. But if it's set to back up everything daily, allows for backup while roaming, and the GPS is constantly working to transmit the phone's location, that would be the opposite extreme.

I can understand how easy it would be for someone who sees a huge overage charge on their bill think, "WTH? I wasn't streaming videos or music, watching TV and movies on the phone, or tethering to my computer, so what is THIS all about?" because it's so easy to forget about a background application. Let us know how this works out for you.
    I too am having this issue with a brand new Rogers Torch. However I have an interesting twist. My company recently upgraded to the Torch and we have 4 phones now on the Rogers system. 2 have a 1GB stand alone plan (!GB each) and 2 have a 1GB shared plan (share 1GB between them). We are business customers, but I don't think that will really matters. Here's the twist, one of my coworkers, on the 1GB shared plan, installed and BB Protect and got it to work. No issues. I installed it on my Torch, with the 1GB standalone plan, and it doesn't work.

From what I have been reading, I may call Rogers tomorrow and get them to delete my data plan and then re-add it to see if that kicks in somehow. Otherwise, I fear I may just remove the application and try again in the future when they release another version.

I will keep this updated as I find out what happens.
    05-03-11 10:09 PM
    I don't know if the problem I was having is the same. I was able to get the downloads running just fine. However, none of the "Find Device" functions like View Current Location, Loud Ring, or Display a Message functions were working. From the BlackBerry Protect website, if I were to click on any of them, I'd get the turning gear and interminable "loading..."

I found, after extensive head banging, that if I were to browse to the site using Foxfire, everything worked perfectly. Very cool!
    05-03-11 11:10 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD