09-28-10 06:12 PM
29 12
tools
    BlackBerry Protect Preview - RIM introducing FREE remote backup, restore and locate service to BlackBerry owners!

Let's discuss the new Native Application BlackBerry Protect coming soon from RIM.

Thoughts?

IMO, this is going to be very helpful for users on the go and not always tied to a PC for a backup and restore and adds a bit of competition in the remote application area.

User won't have to worry about that most recent backup they did on the PC and not having it..... Or is that how recent is that backup?

Would you use it?
    07-12-10 08:40 AM
    How can I test that App?
    07-12-10 08:51 AM
    Looks like a cool app. I would definitely use it.
    07-12-10 08:59 AM
    How can I test that App?
    Per the article "which will be available in limited beta later this week and open beta later this year via the App World test center, is totally deserving of some genuine excitement."
    07-12-10 09:02 AM
    Per the article "which will be available in limited beta later this week and open beta later this year via the App World test center, is totally deserving of some genuine excitement."
    That doesn't tell us much. Perhaps they will target some of us via the zone?
    07-12-10 09:47 AM
    If so it will be very limited beta testing to users in that group...

I still have not be able to sign up for some app's that are and should be there...

But only time will tell..
    07-12-10 10:06 AM
    Agreed, this will be a very good addition to BIS tools if RIM will truly include it at no cost. In reality, what should happen is they need to integrate this into the BIS management website and redesign that website as well. It's too basic looking right now. They should try and redesign it similar to what the interface on this product looks like, which is trying to look very close to a website version of the Desktop Manager software... a good idea on RIM's behalf to make them look similar to help the lost souls out there. lol

As always thought... they sure are taking their time with it. We heard about this being made available a while back and they're thinking of going limited public beta at the end of this year (6 months away?) and then how much longer before everyone sees it? Also, I wonder if only certain OS versions will see support for this... not that all OSs don't already support these functions, but I'm just wondering... since this is RIM.
    07-12-10 10:13 AM
    I already have the backup and restore thing through my carrier, have had for a long time. but the rest of the features are nifty.
    07-12-10 10:50 AM
    The teaser sounds really good and useful. I hope it hits in 2010, but it does not sound like that is the plan.
    07-12-10 10:59 AM
    this looks like a good feature
    07-12-10 11:40 AM
    Sounds like a useful product, will definitely use when it becomes available.
    07-12-10 11:52 AM
    This is one thing that if I were a blackberry user would be very very excited about. I love it. It's just like my MobileMe minus the $100 dollar pricetag. Great step at the competition RIM
    07-13-10 07:25 AM
    It seems to me that Blackberry is a bit late with this software since there are many 3rd party apps already available. I currently use "MyLookout" which pretty much is the same but I probably would switch to an BB native app if available.
    07-18-10 06:39 AM
    I'll definitly be a player when this app become's available, should be a useful piece of property.
    Last edited by Jayhawk-X; 07-18-10 at 01:23 PM.
    07-18-10 01:21 PM
    This app looks amazing. Although there are already many apps that have these features a native apps are always better
    07-18-10 01:23 PM
    Its out.... i just got an Invite
    07-19-10 02:56 PM
    I'd like it if it had an alert to when sim cards are switched and maybe the option to back up the stuff like pictures as well? I know it might need more server space but it'd be welcomed. So far though it's pretty solid
    07-19-10 07:17 PM
    This is a step in the right direction for RIM... I think apps add a lot of functionality to a device, and there is nothing wrong with the manufacture providing a few for free.

Of course they are going to really ****-off a couple of their biggest developers in doing so.....
    07-20-10 08:24 AM
    Would you use it?
    The backup/restore portion.....likely not as I backup at least weekly at home.

But the remote management stuff, will use it without questions (or should I say I hope to never have to use it but will if and when I do.).
    07-20-10 08:26 AM
    Anybody know if the tracking feature requires the GPS to be turned on all the time or if it will be able to pickup the location the same as the 911 only setting does for 911 Centres even when the GPS is turned off.

Mike
    08-29-10 09:59 PM
    Is there any news on this? Ideas on release date?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 10:27 PM
    Dunno never got to test it, atleast yet......
    08-29-10 10:34 PM
    Emailed them asking if I could beta it, they said no
    08-30-10 07:20 PM
    I would also be MORE than willing to beta test this app. I have a BES-activated BlackBerry for work, so I have most of these features available to me on that BB, but I would LOVE to have all of these features and the additional ones on my personal BB, and my wife's BB as well. At least then I could always find her phone when she misplaces it. :-)
    08-30-10 08:13 PM
    Im testing this app at the moment, it compares very well to wavesecure that im using at the moment too.
    As long as it's a free service once it's out of beta I may well ditch wavesecure
    I like the fact its a native app from RIM.
    09-04-10 05:08 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD