BIS Administration Making Provision for BlackBerry Protect | BerryReview.com

Mostly concerned about the last speculation sentance... My guess is that RIM plans on letting carriers backup and restore your device from the portal to better help customers.

I don't know about you guys, but I DON'T WANT MY CARRIER TO BE ABLE TO BACKUP MY DEVICE INFORMATION WITHOUT MY EXPRESS PERMISSION!!! If I want to use BB Protect under my own BIS account and it's encrypted on RIM's NOC, then that's fine, but I don't need some stupid carrier CSR triggering a backup of my device on a whim! By yanking this control away from the customer, RIM would be inherently turning BIS into BES to some extent. I don't trust the carrier or NOC cloud with my locally stored device data (contacts, memos, etc.) Some of this info is confidential and NO ONE except me should have access to it!

I really hope RIM doesn't head this way...
    11-03-10 11:29 PM
    I hope so too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-10 11:35 PM
    now while im hoping that its more of a `we can backup your data before we swap your phone out` rather than them just doing it because they want to, if someone could backup my personal data without my say so, it would seriously make me reconsider my network / phone provider.
    11-03-10 11:48 PM
    now while im hoping that its more of a `we can backup your data before we swap your phone out` rather than them just doing it because they want to, if someone could backup my personal data without my say so, it would seriously make me reconsider my network / phone provider.
    Ya, I'm not sure I even agree with that. It's bad enough we don't know what exactly happens with the data on your phone while you do an OTA update. Where is this data stored? NOC, carrier OTA servers? Is it secure and encrypted and deleted/purged after the OTA is successful.

I guess I'm just paranoid and concerned by nature, but come on... how control are these companies going to keep taking from us. It's bad enough Android devices are all mostly cloud based for services and settings... one of the reasons why people should not embrace them so quickly, but whatever.
    11-04-10 12:33 AM
    never done an OTA update, always use apploader and do a backup first (just in case the autobackup goes wrong)

what would worry me more is iv seen how poorly my current carrier reacts to data breach issues, they had one a few weeks ago through a login portal on their site, 17 hours to remove the page from being told on twitter and their forums is stupidly poor reactions.
    11-04-10 12:53 AM
    Verizon can do this with Backup Assistant, although I think the idea is that you set it up first; though somehow when I swapped my device a few weeks ago I had my contacts on my new device before leaving the store, and I'd never set up Backup Assistant.
    11-04-10 01:14 AM
    Ya, I'm not sure I even agree with that. It's bad enough we don't know what exactly happens with the data on your phone while you do an OTA update. Where is this data stored? NOC, carrier OTA servers? Is it secure and encrypted and deleted/purged after the OTA is successful.

I guess I'm just paranoid and concerned by nature, but come on... how control are these companies going to keep taking from us. It's bad enough Android devices are all mostly cloud based for services and settings... one of the reasons why people should not embrace them so quickly, but whatever.
    I hadn't given it much of a thought, that's kinda frightening. I've never done an OTA upgrade mainly because it takes way too long and I prefer having a say in what gets loaded (I shrink OS's). This is another reason not to go that route.
    There was a thread not too long ago on OTA upgrades, and I remember someone saying that Android is OTA-only for upgrades. That's even more frightening if they use clouds for backing up in the process, I thought that info was stored on the device - what if there's the tiniest glitch in the backup and/or restore process, and you lose everything?
    11-04-10 01:29 AM
    This is crazy. Some people have information on their phones that some tech at our carriers should not have access to by any means. I hope RIM who touts their security prowess does not gpo this route, if they do I see a class action lawsuit in their future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-10 06:37 AM
    Remove the COD, that is all.

BTW if RIM does this, they will lose a lot of high profile clients, unless it can be disabled via BES/BIS.
    11-04-10 07:50 AM
    Remove the COD, that is all.

BTW if RIM does this, they will lose a lot of high profile clients, unless it can be disabled via BES/BIS.
    Don't be silly. You're not grasping the situation here. It's not that BB Protect isn't wanted, it's that the control over it should be in our hands, NOT the carriers. And it's that the data being backed up, we should know where it is behing housed and if it's secure/encrypted.
    11-04-10 11:40 AM
    This is idiotic on so many levels. RIM and any carrier that does this better prepare
    for a mass exodus of customers.
    11-04-10 12:02 PM
    I would choose a different device if this feature could not be disabled. I prefer to handle my backups myself using DM.

This sounds similar to a scenario where a PC manufacturer or ISP forced customers to use an online backup service to back up their PC data.

I should have the right to choose how I wish to backup my smartphone data, just as I have the right to choose how I backup my PC data (and no, I do not use online backup service for my PC).
    11-04-10 12:27 PM
    Most definitely I'll be in that mass exodus if it becomes a reality. UMPC's are expensive but preferable to any unknown source holding my data. **** if it came down to it I'd just get a dumbphone and enable the 3g connection on my netbook.
    11-04-10 02:03 PM
    This is idiotic on so many levels. RIM and any carrier that does this better prepare
    for a mass exodus of customers.
    would going BESX not get around this issue in the sense that you can have IT policies? im only thinking out loud thought so i could easily be wrong
    11-04-10 03:19 PM
    would going BESX not get around this issue in the sense that you can have IT policies? im only thinking out loud thought so i could easily be wrong
    Honestly, I have no clue on BESX but the idea of IT policies and non-work
    issued BBs does not give me a sense of confidence. That whole BlackBerry
    Unite debacle.
    11-04-10 03:44 PM
    Hopefully it's just speculation and they won't go that route.
    11-04-10 03:49 PM
    Don't be silly. You're not grasping the situation here. It's not that BB Protect isn't wanted, it's that the control over it should be in our hands, NOT the carriers. And it's that the data being backed up, we should know where it is behing housed and if it's secure/encrypted.
    Wait wait wait, is it the carrier or RIM that is going to store the data?
    11-04-10 04:39 PM
    No, every single BB that's provisioned and working (doesn't matter if it's BIS or BES) is still under core BIS control... regardless of if it's connected to BES.

Wait wait wait, is it the carrier or RIM that is going to store the data?
    Exactly...
    11-04-10 06:46 PM

Mostly concerned about the last speculation sentance... My guess is that RIM plans on letting carriers backup and restore your device from the portal to better help customers.

I don't know about you guys, but I DON'T WANT MY CARRIER TO BE ABLE TO BACKUP MY DEVICE INFORMATION WITHOUT MY EXPRESS PERMISSION!!! If I want to use BB Protect under my own BIS account and it's encrypted on RIM's NOC, then that's fine, but I don't need some stupid carrier CSR triggering a backup of my device on a whim! By yanking this control away from the customer, RIM would be inherently turning BIS into BES to some extent. I don't trust the carrier or NOC cloud with my locally stored device data (contacts, memos, etc.) Some of this info is confidential and NO ONE except me should have access to it!

I think I get what you're saying. You'd want Blackberry Protect and if you
    did a device backup ON the device, you want that data locally stored on the
    memory card so that if you got another BB you could just restore from the
    memory card. But you don't want the backup to also go to the cloud whether
    it be the NOC or the carrier, right? Because if I was to use the service it
    would be exactly what I wanted too. I'd like the ability to backup/restore on
    the device itself through my own local memory card without it being sent up
    to a cloud. This is why I refuse to use MobileMe.
    11-09-10 03:54 PM
    I think I get what you're saying. You'd want Blackberry Protect and if you
    did a device backup ON the device, you want that data locally stored on the
    memory card so that if you got another BB you could just restore from the
    memory card. But you don't want the backup to also go to the cloud whether
    it be the NOC or the carrier, right? Because if I was to use the service it
    would be exactly what I wanted too. I'd like the ability to backup/restore on
    the device itself through my own local memory card without it being sent up
    to a cloud. This is why I refuse to use MobileMe.
    Yes and no. I mostly want the remote wipe capabilities of BBProtect (semi BES on BIS if you will), but I'd want to be able to control if I want to do a backup or not and most certainly, I WANT THAT CONTROL - ME, MYSELF, AND I. Certainly not the carrier or ANY other 3rd party or whatnot. It's like GPS, I have control over it being turned on or off and I have control over what app I choose to use with it. (and YES, I have control over pulling the battery on the device to completely kill off any GPS or triangulation possibility should any of you try and argue that point ) I don't need the carrier or RIM to think I need them holding my hand with my own device simply because 90% of the population are idiots. I am not one, so therefore they MUST put in options to allow things to work my way so I and others of my caliber don't make a big stink about it.

With all this said, a local memory card backup would be nice. People have asked for this numerous times and no one (not even an app developer) has been able to do it. If they can code DM to do it via USB, surely they can code a local app to load on the BB that can create the same type of backups files on a media card. That way, you can set a scheduled backup daily so that if you cannot plug into DM to backup regularly and something goes bad with your phone, you have a much more recent backup on the memory card. (sure, if the phone is lost, you're screwed, but if I get the phone wet, I'm not screwed because the memory card is pretty much water proof) I wouldn't mind it if it gave two options of online backup or local and let the user decide what to do themselves and keep that control away from the carriers. That's the biggest gripe.... I don't want anyone else in my stuff but me, unless I choose to let them in. This is one of the reasons why I don't use the stupid Verizon backup program now. F Dat!
    11-09-10 10:57 PM

I don't my carrier backing up ANY of my data at all. Let that be the responibility of the customer.
    11-17-10 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD