03-08-11 10:12 PM
34 12
tools
    Just testing the reature, and...I have tried to use the locate feature, but it cannot locate my device. I tried to locate it again with GPS on, and still no luck.

I tried the same thing with my wife's 9700 also.

Anybody else have any luck with the locate feature?
    I downloaded it directly from AppWorld and it's working seamlessly for me on my 9800. The over-the-air backups worked perfectly and it even located me right down to the correct corner our office building when looking at the aerial photo/map! I had been waiting on this one to get out of the limited beta testing for weeks now. I had been using the Where's My Phone app, but this one is way better (the OTA backups, pushed commands from RIM instead of the WMP app way of having to monitor emails, etc.). Great app, thanks RIM!
    03-07-11 04:11 PM
    Why doesn't Blackberry Protect work with devices that use the Blackberry Enterprise Server?
    Because a lot of the features are already available on the BES server.
    03-07-11 05:55 PM
    been playing with the app for 3 days now, and i must say everything is working flawlessly. i'm using a 9800 and all the features simply work.
    i haven't tried the WIPE though.. maybe on a weekend.
    03-07-11 06:47 PM
    BlackBerry Protect... I think it's like smartguard... but it's official from RIM and it's free =D
    03-07-11 08:42 PM
    Because a lot of the features are already available on the BES server.
    true but some are not. I'm on BES and would be very interested in a few of the features that Protect offers.

Remote Device Management:
    Remote lock (via BES) and ‘Lost and Found' screen
    Remote activate loud ringer
    Cell Tower and GPS device tracking. We have hundreds of BB in our company, often misplaced and/or stolen. This would be useful.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 03-07-11 at 09:24 PM.
    03-07-11 09:21 PM
    You bring up a good point. I have a T-mob sim at home and will surely try this when I get home. My thinking is the same as yours, since it's PIN based, whether the device is unlocked or running with a different sim shouldn't make a difference. We will see in a couple hours.
    Working perfect on my 9800 but was wondering if homer1475 had a chance to try a different SIM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-11 10:30 AM
    true but some are not. I'm on BES and would be very interested in a few of the features that Protect offers.

Remote lock (via BES) and ‘Lost and Found' screen
    Cell Tower and GPS device tracking. We have hundreds of BB in our company, often misplaced and/or stolen. This would be useful.
    +1

I wonder if RIM is planning on intergrating this in the future, the remote lock and wipe feature built into BES is great but the location and ring would be priceless!
    03-08-11 01:25 PM

Remote lock (via BES) and Lost and Found' screen

Even with some of the features being available on the BES Server, this still requires getting the IT department involved if I have a problem with my own personal Blackberry (which I use for work). If I misplace my BB some Saturday night, I don't want to have to get someone from work involved to help me find it.
    03-08-11 03:00 PM
    Even with some of the features being available on the BES Server, this still requires getting the IT department involved if I have a problem with my own personal Blackberry (which I use for work). If I misplace my BB some Saturday night, I don't want to have to get someone from work involved to help me find it.
    Not necessarily. There are a few nice tracking features in Protect not yet in BES. Your IT dept isn't going to be able to help you find your misplaced BB. At least not with BES but they may have a 3rd party tracker installed.

Ask IT if they have BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager and if you can use it.
    With BWDM you can:
    - reset your own Enterprise Activation Password in case you have to wipe and reload your device.
    - remotely specify new device password and lock device.
    - remotely delete all device data and disable device
    - switch devices
    - message redirection
    - set redirection folders
    - set mail filters
    - select the contact folders to include in device contacts
    - backup and restore device (like DM)
    03-08-11 10:12 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD