03-08-11 10:12 PM
34 12
tools
    Just installed it on my Torch. I like the remote lock, wipe, and tracking options.

My questions is this: why would you need to use the backup feature when you can use desktop manager?
    03-05-11 11:15 PM
    Just installed it on my Torch. I like the remote lock, wipe, and tracking options.

My questions is this: why would you need to use the backup feature when you can use desktop manager?
    If you can actually carry your personal computer with you the whole time, then cool, use desktop manager.
    Or actually, if you like the wipe option, then you should like the remote backup. Why? because if you lose your blackberry, chances are you will want to backup your data then wipe the device.
    People like to keep their data backed up as frequently as possible, so in case of a loss you dont lose too much. If you go on vacation, pretty sure you may not take your laptop with you, or you may not even spend time on it at all.
    Any way, its always good to be able to backup information anywhere, you never know when you are going to lose your phone.
    Not in your city and got a new phone because you lost yours? No problem, remote restore as i had remotely backed it up before.
    Last edited by gbsn; 03-05-11 at 11:23 PM.
    03-05-11 11:17 PM
    The backup option could be useful for a person who is traveling and does not have a laptop with him. Even if he did not have his own computer with him, if he needed to wipe a lost or stolen device, it would be easy to find a PC in a library or at a business, log in, and wipe the device.
    03-05-11 11:19 PM
    Blackberry Protect's backup feature helps those that don't always back up regularly as you can set how often to back up the information.
    03-05-11 11:19 PM
    DM backup files are stuck at the location you did the backup at.

Online backups are not and won't get accidentally wiped either.
    03-05-11 11:25 PM
    After you exhausted yourself trying to find your Blackberry, and reality set in that it's either LOST or stolen ( using the view my current location feature of BB Protect) then the logical thing to do at this point is..

1. LOCK the device
    2. "Display a message" type a personal message on your screen on how to contact you for RANSOM err.. i meant the details of how to get the BB back to you.
    3. Remote Back Up
    4. Wipe the data
    5. Buy another BlackBerry
    6. Restore Data

and as others have mentioned, not everyone use DM everyday to back up their devices
    03-05-11 11:48 PM
    Blackberry protect is awesome!!!!

I couldn't have asked for a better piece of software!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-11 02:40 AM
    Agreed. This is a very good implementation.

03-06-11 06:56 AM
    Just got this installed, awesome tool even for just the remote backup feature.
    03-06-11 07:05 AM
    Of course its a must tool, awesome remote back up and the tracking feature.
    03-06-11 08:13 AM
    The utility and integration of this app are remarkable. Any BB owner without Protect is making a big mistake.

03-06-11 08:19 AM
    i'm not sure about the way it connects though, the phone has to be ON and within a network..as far as i remember.
    Now, here's the scenario, i have an AT&T Torch (9800) , what if someone removes the SIM and replace it with another carrier like T-mobile. will the remote back up, lock, wipe and all other feature work?
    my initial reaction is a YES, since the phone is PIN based.. but care to correct me if i'm mistaken
    03-06-11 08:45 AM
    i'm not sure about the way it connects though, the phone has to be ON and within a network..as far as i remember.
    Now, here's the scenario, i have an AT&T Torch (9800) , what if someone removes the SIM and replace it with another carrier like T-mobile. will the remote back up, lock, wipe and all other feature work?
    my initial reaction is a YES, since the phone is PIN based.. but care to correct me if i'm mistaken
    You bring up a good point. I have a T-mob sim at home and will surely try this when I get home. My thinking is the same as yours, since it's PIN based, whether the device is unlocked or running with a different sim shouldn't make a difference. We will see in a couple hours.
    mark_rivers19 likes this.
    03-06-11 09:00 AM
    Do you have to keep the GPS on all the time for the locate function of BP to work, or can it use cell towers?

03-06-11 09:57 AM
    thanks everyone. really valid points. i back up my berry using DM about once every three days onto my computer and my computer is backed up once a week. So if I ever lose, or have my berry stolen, in between my backup times there may be a gap of "current" data lost. I guess that's where Protect will come into play for me. thanks!
    03-06-11 12:31 PM

Well I use the backup feature when I added a new number to my phone, added a new browser bookmark, or sent a message I want to review later (I always forget about the saved messages folder). There are probably several other reasons why people would like it.
    03-06-11 01:31 PM
    You bring up a good point. I have a T-mob sim at home and will surely try this when I get home. My thinking is the same as yours, since it's PIN based, whether the device is unlocked or running with a different sim shouldn't make a difference. We will see in a couple hours.
    i think there are options where it will register to your SIM card number and lock out other cards in case someone tries to put their own SIM in. also, i had this installed from first beta release till just a few weeks ago. it was a major part in my previous battery drain issues. even running rarely and never using CPU, somehow, it was. ever since i deleted it, im able to get 1.5% drain at idle vs 4-6%. can someone comment on battery life with it installed?
    03-06-11 07:30 PM
    i think there are options where it will register to your SIM card number and lock out other cards in case someone tries to put their own SIM in. also, i had this installed from first beta release till just a few weeks ago. it was a major part in my previous battery drain issues. even running rarely and never using CPU, somehow, it was. ever since i deleted it, im able to get 1.5% drain at idle vs 4-6%. can someone comment on battery life with it installed?

I was a beta tester for BB Protect as well and I have no issues with it draining my battery. At first I had it on my 9700 and now I have it on my Torch. No issues with battery life whatsover. I'm using .448 if that helps.
    03-07-11 12:00 AM
    This app is awesome!! Works much better than other apps I have tried!
    03-07-11 12:24 AM
    So far, Blackberry Protect has had little to no effect on my battery life.
    03-07-11 05:08 AM
    Do you have to keep the GPS on all the time for the locate function of BP to work, or can it use cell towers?

if GPS is off it will not be as accurate but will still show you via cell towers an approximate location.
    zee921 likes this.
    03-07-11 05:57 AM
    if GPS is off it will not be as accurate but will still show you via cell towers an approximate location.
    Just testing the reature, and...I have tried to use the locate feature, but it cannot locate my device. I tried to locate it again with GPS on, and still no luck.

I tried the same thing with my wife's 9700 also.

Anybody else have any luck with the locate feature?
    03-07-11 01:01 PM
    Why doesn't Blackberry Protect work with devices that use the Blackberry Enterprise Server?
    03-07-11 01:28 PM
    Just testing the reature, and...I have tried to use the locate feature, but it cannot locate my device. I tried to locate it again with GPS on, and still no luck.

I tried the same thing with my wife's 9700 also.

Anybody else have any luck with the locate feature?
    Works fine for me every time I try it.
    03-07-11 02:18 PM
    This looks interesting and am tempted to try it. Great thread with great info, guys!
    03-07-11 02:56 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD