02-19-11 03:41 PM
89 1234
tools
    I called my service provider today and they don't set limits on download size so it must be a BB issue hopefully it will be changed in an update as it does appear to be a great app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 05:58 PM
    Has anyone compared this to Podtrapper?

If so, please post your findings.
    08-11-10 08:46 PM
    Has anyone compared this to Podtrapper?

If so, please post your findings.
    My findings:

- It's free;
    - It allows me to add (in theory) as many podcasts as I want.

08-11-10 09:39 PM
    I called my service provider today and they don't set limits on download size so it must be a BB issue hopefully it will be changed in an update as it does appear to be a great app.

I'm wondering if someone who isn't in the US/Canada or whose provider doesn't support it will get the message that the file exceeds over the air sizes. You'd think they wouldn't if it isn't carrier set.

08-11-10 09:59 PM
    I'm wondering if someone who isn't in the US/Canada or whose provider doesn't support it will get the message that the file exceeds over the air sizes. You'd think they wouldn't if it isn't carrier set.
    I don't think carriers have ANYTHING to do with it. I'm in Brasil, my carrier probably doesn't even know there were any updates (BBM and BB Podcasts) and once I managed to get the cod files in the device, the app is working like a charm.

I just turned Wi-Fi off to test. It is downloading a 20.1MB podcast. Trully sluggish, but it is. I'll come back after it's done to let you guys know if it will get on to the next or stop working.
    08-11-10 10:10 PM
    I don't think carriers have ANYTHING to do with it. I'm in Brasil, my carrier probably doesn't even know there were any updates (BBM and BB Podcasts) and once I managed to get the cod files in the device, the app is working like a charm.

I just turned Wi-Fi off to test. It is downloading a 20.1MB podcast. Trully sluggish, but it is. I'll come back after it's done to let you guys know if it will get on to the next or stop working.
    The download would fail before it starts if you were having the file size issue. I was able to download a 18mb podcast without an issue, but couldn't download a 37mb one. See if you can start a larger one. I really wish my BBerry had WiFi.

08-11-10 10:56 PM
    The download would fail before it starts if you were having the file size issue. I was able to download a 18mb podcast without an issue, but couldn't download a 37mb one. See if you can start a larger one. I really wish my BBerry had WiFi.
    They all seem to be around 20-30mb and they are coming in ok (at least as ok as VIVO's EDGE allows them to come). If I come across any larger one, I'll let you guys know.
    08-11-10 11:15 PM
    I found some Discovery Channel ones that are in the 200mb range. Downloaded one and it took about 3mins. This is with my Wi-Fi at home.
    08-12-10 12:11 AM
    I downloaded it, and was a bit skeptical at first, and I love it. I got my local radio news podcast, along with Onion New Network podcast (which is very similar to being subsribed to their youtube channel. Video and audio quality is excellent. Very convienient.

For comparison, what other platforms have podcasts apps( native apps, not 3rd party), and how do they compare to the new BB feature?
    08-12-10 05:48 AM
    I downloaded a podcast yesterday, and then this morning it just randomly started playing. "Switch Application" didnt even show that the media player was running. I had to open the podcast app, scroll down to the one I downloaded, and select it to stop it. Im not sure why it would do that. Anyone else noticed this?
    08-12-10 06:26 AM
    I was really looking forward to this app and so far, it delivers.

It's kinda got an "appworld" feel to it with the featured podcasts as you first open it up, but there's a lot of preloaded stuff if you start diving into the categories.

I found adding podcasts is pretty easy. However, I added on yesterday, but it wasn't there today. Maybe it was operator error; it was one fo the first ones I put in manually.

I like the fact that you can get video podcasts; very cool. Also, the option to download when you have a wifi only connection, or when charging...that's slick. My only nitpick there would be the ability to set things up for each podcast feed. Example: I have one that updates daily...I'd set that to OTA. Other ones, that happen once week or less often...wifi only when charging.

And speaking of the daily podcast, my phone just made a notification noise...and I had a new icon up top. The app let me know my daily podcast feed had been updated. I opened the app and it was already chugging away; downloading.

Over all, I really like this. I used to use Viigo which was really good for podcasts. But that was subject to network...and sometimes got flakey if you got deeper into a long podcast. Also, you only had the option to pause or stop the podcast. If you stopped it, you had to start all over. It's nice having things stored on the media card; play, pause, rewind, fast forward. And with it being on the card, it's all there. No worries about coverage.
    08-12-10 07:20 AM
    So far every podcast I've tried to DL is 'too big for network'.. I've had to wait to find a wifi spot.

08-12-10 08:31 AM
    The biggest podcast i've been able to download is 24mb. Very odd and frustrating when you dont have wifi.

slott
    08-12-10 08:37 AM
    The biggest podcast i've been able to download is 24mb. Very odd and frustrating when you dont have wifi.

slott
    I've been doing some research and I think this limit is set by the carrier. If you try to download the podcast via the web browser it'll either download or you'll get http error 413: entity too large. It'll behave the same way in the podcast app. So someone needs to get Verizon to up the download limit.

08-12-10 09:12 AM
    My findings:

- It's free;
    - It allows me to add (in theory) as many podcasts as I want.

What I am trying to determine is whether I should switch from Podtrapper which I already own.

If there is some feature that the BB Podcast program has that Podtrapper doesn't have, then I would switch. I am perfectly happy with Podtrapper and since I already paid for it, and unless there is a reason to switch, I'll just stay with it.

Thanks.
    08-12-10 09:56 AM
    What I am trying to determine is whether I should switch from Podtrapper which I already own.

If there is some feature that the BB Podcast program has that Podtrapper doesn't have, then I would switch. I am perfectly happy with Podtrapper and since I already paid for it, and unless there is a reason to switch, I'll just stay with it.

Thanks.
    If you paid for it, just keep on using it.

I almost paid for Podtrapper as well, but got word of the Podcasts app and decided to wait...
    08-12-10 02:58 PM
    Yeah. I paid for Podtrapper about 8 months ago and it is great.

Just was wondering if there was anything in the new app that would be better.
    08-12-10 03:16 PM
    Does anyone know if this will be available outside the USA and Canada? I managed to get the app but it says there is an update and when I click the link it says my device is not supported (Storm 2) but as it is, the reason must be I am outside the area it is available in.
    08-12-10 05:38 PM
    Does anyone know if this will be available outside the USA and Canada? I managed to get the app but it says there is an update and when I click the link it says my device is not supported (Storm 2) but as it is, the reason must be I am outside the area it is available in.
    It was released yesterday, I think the update is a false positive.
    08-12-10 06:13 PM
    I have the torch and I can't figure how to add a url to the podcast. Can someone please give a detail way to do this..... either manualy or from browser.
    08-12-10 10:15 PM
    I have the torch and I can't figure how to add a url to the podcast. Can someone please give a detail way to do this..... either manualy or from browser.
    When you open the app up, hit the menu button.

Scroll down and select "add podcast channel"

It will then bring you to a screen where you can type or paste a URL.

Enter the URL and hit next.

I pulled most of my podcasts from viigo with copy and pasting the URLs. If you do a quick search from your browser ("Wall street journal podcasts" for example), it will usually bring you to a page that lists the podcasts and the URLs.
    08-13-10 06:56 AM
    In general this is working really well. However, in Explore Podcasts, Categories, I have nothing, except one Blackberry video on playing music. I am able to find podcasts by typing something (eg Onion) in the search box, but there is no way of browsing the options.

Any thoughts?
    08-13-10 07:56 AM
    Is there a new version available now?

If so, can someone please post it again...
    08-13-10 02:00 PM
    Did anyone experienced this bug with the mute button?

Try quitting the app after you listen to a podcast, close it, and tap the mute button
    I have encountered the same thing. I dont know if its a bug, or RIM designed it that way, but either way it is quite annoying as sometimes the mute button will accidentally get pressed in my pocket, and the last podcast playing will sound off in my pocket

Back to Podtrapper for me...
    08-14-10 10:01 AM
    Why bb rim podcast can't install directly on my bb ?
    08-14-10 11:21 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD