It's official. BlackBerry is cooler than Coke.

For the first time in years, Coca-Cola has been ousted from its reigning position as the coolest overall brand among 8-22-year-olds in the Sunday Times Generation Next Youth Brand Survey.

Coca-Cola, which recently celebrated its 125th anniversary, has had to surrender to BlackBerry, which shot up the ranks from ninth-coolest brand last year.

In 2005, Forbes reported that Coca-Cola was the world's most valuable brand, but in 2011, it was ranked only sixth, while three of the top five spots were occupied by tech brands - Apple, Google and Microsoft.

Jessica Oosthuizen, analyst for HDI Youth Marketeers, the company that conducted the survey, said this is less about consumers moving away from traditional brands, but rather a testament to the importance of technology in our lives.

But the survey does not just reflect the onward march of technology. BlackBerry has come from nowhere to beat off its rivals who previously dominated.

It has overtaken cellphone giant Nokia as the coolest cellphone brand, an accolade Nokia has enjoyed for the past two years. Last year, BlackBerry was second and in 2009 was in fifth position in this category. It was also voted the coolest hi-tech brand. Apple's iPhone, widely believed to be coveted by all, was ranked only third in the cellphone category and it was ranked only seventh as the overall coolest brand.

In the Mobility 2011 research project conducted by Worldwide Worx, MD Arthur Goldstuck found that Nokia was expected to drop to below 50% market share for the first time in SA while BlackBerry is expected to grow more than 16% this year.

It is expected that Apple will grow 3% this year, from 1% the previous year. Goldstuck attributed this to the high cost of Apple smartphones and the high data usage associated with it.
    Source

I thought this article was interesting.
    05-28-11 11:46 PM
    I am not surprised. A quick survey of my son's friends in the 16-19 year age group three quarters of them have a BB phone. They all have iTouch/iPods. They understand their needs and have no issues carrying two seperate devices that takes care of diverse communication/entertainment needs. The iPod/iTouch for entertainment, the BB for communication. Teens understand the efficiency of BBM. Why send out 100 text mails when you can send out 1 text to 100 people on BBM?

I think that BBs will continue to grow with the younger group. I also think in part it's helped by the fact that most of their parents have BBs which have been then passed onto them as the initial smart phone.

I also think that north americans forget that technology is huge in other parts of the world and that BB is a huge global brand way before apple or Droid was.

All these financial and industry analysts who like to predict doom and gloom on Rim because of their performance here in the north american market does not fully factor in the global market impact... those international sales help drive the continued success of Rim. More recently you can see Rim being more involved with marketing to that age group when you think of some of the music groups they sponsor, such as The Black Eye Peas and a few other groups...

I think we underestimate that Rim is not aware of how to market... a recent BEP concert I went to had all concert goers bbm Will-I-am and those BBM messages go played out as part of the back drop for the concert.

In another music video of the Peas they had the playbooks as props in the video.

As always I think Rim's marketing is subtle like their brand, but there if you look for it.
    05-29-11 12:56 AM
    My wife is from there and lots of people that she knows who are still there are getting Blackberry devices and she adds them to her BBM. Much nicer than paying International txt messages and much more reliable.
    05-29-11 09:16 AM
    Not surprising, one of my co-workers has an 18 year old daughter and she traded her iPhone 4 for a Bold 9780 becuase all her friends have BBM and she wanted that too.
    05-29-11 03:01 PM
    Can't be right blackberry is doomed remember! Non growth can be spoken of! (sarcasm)....

Actually I quite believe this, I do voluntary youth work and they all have bb and those are the phones of preference, rim have to Market more the curve and the pearl to continue to capture that Market because it is theirs for the taking!
    05-29-11 04:59 PM
    Actually I quite believe this, I do voluntary youth work and they all have bb and those are the phones of preference, rim have to Market more the curve and the pearl to continue to capture that Market because it is theirs for the taking!
    I couldn't agree with you more. RIM really needs to capitalize on the lower to mid end device to attract the next generation of users. I couldn't stress this more bring out a curve touch or any lower end touch screen phone and RIM will be attracting a whole new bigger market that they don't see.
    05-29-11 11:55 PM
    The other good news is that maybe people will drink pop less often.
    05-30-11 03:33 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more. RIM really needs to capitalize on the lower to mid end device to attract the next generation of users. I couldn't stress this more bring out a curve touch or any lower end touch screen phone and RIM will be attracting a whole new bigger market that they don't see.
    And why do you think there's the Monza AND the Curve Touch?
    05-30-11 06:44 AM
    during times like now when rim is feeling heat on all fronts it good to see a fact based story that shows people still love these products. BB's are still the best selling phone in many markets. once the new set of RIM technology hits the market. The love will come back to north american BB sales. The sooner the better though.
    05-30-11 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD