Hey guys quick question.

My girl has the 8530 curve and she recently got a BB holster. when she puts it in the holster it does not lock the screen automatically. I switched the setting in Options>Password>lock device in holster, but that seems to lock the screen even after i take it out of the holster.

I have a Storm 9530 and i do not have to switch the setting in order for the screen to lock, it just does it upon holstering and once out of the holster it is open to use.

is this because of the phone models? or am i missing a setting?

help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    04-01-10 02:03 PM
    You are missing the recent OS releases RIM pushed out.

That's standard behavior now. The way devices used to lock will only happen if a password is set. Give it a try, set a password on her phone (one you both know and remember) and put in the holster. It will lock, lock screen and info will show.

No password, it goes into standby.
    04-01-10 02:19 PM
    I think she is on the most recent OS. i'm not ecatly sure which one she is on but its 5.0 for sure. And i believe that is what i want it to do, go into stand by mode just like my storm. is that not possible without setting a PW?

So what i would like the phone to do is. Go into holster>screen and keys lock>once out of the holster everything comes back on without having to hit the * + send to unlock.

For example when i put my Storm against my holster (without actually putting it in the holster) the screen goes blank and nothing happens when i touch the screen (stand by) but for hers it does nothing. and i did try the same thing with my phone and her holster.

Hopefully i am making sense.
    04-01-10 03:10 PM
    Isn't that what's already happening?

Puts in holster -> Device goes black, no keys works.

Gets out of holster -> Readyto use

What am I missing here?
    04-01-10 03:13 PM
    I think she is on the most recent OS.......
    Doesn't sound like it ......
    04-01-10 06:04 PM
    Your phone isn't responding to the holster's magnet when you put it against it? Try getting something small and metallic and see if the holster has a magnet at all.

Secondly you may have an incompatible holster if you find that your phone does lock (when you press it against the holster) but its at some weird location, i.e. where it wouldn't be if it was inside the holster.
    04-02-10 12:03 AM
    my 2 cents... remember that the "right" way to put your bb in a holster is with the little strip facing the same way as the screen, these were meant to be a "safe" place for bbs with pearl, not with touchpad. Maybe thats your problem.
    04-02-10 05:29 AM
    Isn't that what's already happening?

Puts in holster -> Device goes black, no keys works.

Gets out of holster -> Readyto use

What am I missing here?
    when i remove it out of the holster it is still locked. So it is not ready to use right away i would still have to unlock it manually.

And what would the latest OS be for the 8530?
    04-05-10 02:38 PM
    my 8530 is doing the same thing. doesnt matter how i put it into the holster, it wont lock without a password. really kind of annoying as i like it locked not just "standby" because you can still hit keys when its on standbye. as well, i used to have the right side key lock it if i was just sticking it into my pocket as opposed to the holster - can i still make it do that with 5.0?
    06-28-10 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD