BlackBerry messenger won't open. I've done a battery pull and it still won't work. I'm not receiving messages either. I'm wondering if I try to re-install BBM OTA will it erase my current contacts?

Also I had 5.0 and I don't want to revert to the previous version. Anybody have any advice?
    09-08-09 02:06 PM
    BlackBerry messenger won't open. I've done a battery pull and it still won't work. I'm not receiving messages either. I'm wondering if I try to re-install BBM OTA will it erase my current contacts?

Also I had 5.0 and I don't want to revert to the previous version. Anybody have any advice?
    You can try to re-install it and should delete the original. You can always backup your contacts to your SD then reinstall BBM5 fresh and restore your contacts. Have you tried resending service books? Go into service books and see what BBM books are in there, if any at all.
    09-08-09 02:13 PM
    I have the BBM icon on my desktop still, it's still showing up under my apps list. Also I can't even open BBM so I can't get in to backup my contacts to my SD. I just resent the service books but that didn't help. I used the leaked DM for Mac and did a partial back up of just my BBM so hopefully that will cover me if I mess something up.
    09-08-09 02:47 PM
    I'm having exactly the same problem. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the application and it still doesn't work. I really don't know what to do next. Let me know if you fix yours.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-10 06:51 PM
    Just realised how long ago you posted this. Any chance you managed to fix it and could help me out? Thanks

01-07-10 06:57 PM
    EXACT same problem. ive tried reinstalling BBM 5.0 enough times....
    01-18-10 07:30 PM
    I hv the same problem has anybody fixed it????

01-30-10 06:53 AM
    Are all of you saying that you still cant install BBM 5.0.0.57 and get that to work? That is the latest official release from RIM and you can download it OTA from your device browser here:

BlackBerry Wallpapers, Ringtones, and More
    01-30-10 12:48 PM
    I had this exact same problem with my BBM v5.0.0.57. BB messenger wouldn't open at all. Even after deleting and reinstalling the program it still wouldn't work. The only solution I found was to reinstall the OS to the phone. Its a crappy solution and time consuming but once the OS was reinstalled, everything was working perfectly. At the time I was running a Curve 8330 on Verizon. But I would imagine this pertains to all BBs.

Also don't worry about if your contacts are backed up. v5.0 automatically will sync your contacts back to your phone once you start the program for the first time. So long as you registered an email address before everything will sync perfectly.
    01-30-10 04:12 PM
    I had this exact same problem with my BBM v5.0.0.57. BB messenger wouldn't open at all. Even after deleting and reinstalling the program it still wouldn't work. The only solution I found was to reinstall the OS to the phone. Its a crappy solution and time consuming but once the OS was reinstalled, everything was working perfectly. At the time I was running a Curve 8330 on Verizon. But I would imagine this pertains to all BBs.

Also don't worry about if your contacts are backed up. v5.0 automatically will sync your contacts back to your phone once you start the program for the first time. So long as you registered an email address before everything will sync perfectly.
    Good advice! If its still not working its best to wipe to 507 and start over with a fresh OS install.
    01-30-10 08:40 PM
    I seem to be having the same problem with BBM 5.0.0.57 after upgrading to Blackberry OS 5.0.0.438. It worked well at first (after I downloaded it directly from the bberry site rather than App World that is). However, last night I was sending a bbm and it all of a sudden locked up and rebooted. When it came back up I couldn't open BBM by clicking on the icon. The only way I can send a message is by opening the message under the messages icons when someone BBMs me first!!

Wiping and reinstalling doesn't sound like a fun or easy option. Since I am technically not the Admin of our BES here at work they get mad if I mess with my blackberry too much. I am wondering if the Hybrid Version will resolve this issue.

I tried reinstalling BBM 5.0.0.57 but it's the same story.

Anyone else find a fix that doesn't involve a wipe and reload?
    02-25-10 03:53 PM
    I just upgraded to the newest version of BB os 5 for My 9000 and when I rebooted, BBM was gone and will not reappear. In my applications list the program shows up, but I cannot find an icon or open it at all ( I have done show all and looked in every folder that I have). I have tried installing from app world and direct from BB website. I have wiped and reinstalled the OS several times, nada. I even tried going to an older OS where BBM worked and I cannot get it to work there. I am not receiving BBMs and cannot figure this out.

I feel like I am going nuts. Anyone with some new ideas other then keep reinstalling, sending service/routing, or battery pulls? It would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
    02-28-10 10:46 AM
    I installed the .186 yesterday, and decided to upgrade the bbm to 5.0. When all was done, bbm would not open. The icon is there, just won't do anything. I went to my back ups and reinstalled from there. Nope. Still won't open. Did the dl for blackberry app world, installed from there, still nothing.

Can I at least get the old version back somehow?
    03-15-10 06:41 PM
    after not being able to get bbm back for a week, i finally wiped the device yet again with BBSAK. Then i downgraded the os to 442. I loaded it using the loader.exe file and bbm has magically appeared.
    03-16-10 08:56 AM
    This just happened to me. It was all working just fine until aboout Thursday morning then all of a sudden - NADA!!!!! the icon is there but it does nothing.

I have done multiple battery pulls, deleted and reinstalled the BBM program, again more battery pulls and still nothing. I dont know what the **** to do.
    04-17-10 07:39 PM
    All these people have similar problems but no solutions? Has anyone solved this problem?!

Just seems odd that bbm5 was working perfect and then while I was traveling, it just stopped.

04-20-10 02:39 PM
    The only way I solved the problem was to wipe the device memory and reinstall the software.
    04-20-10 10:23 PM
    When I upgraded BBM to current version, it started having problems while I was on OS 4.7 with the Tour. The problem is that I get a message, and can't open it. I have to end the chat and respond by starting a new chat, then it works well for that chat. This is an intermittent experience.

When I upgraded to OS 5.0, it simply persists. I don't see why I would reinstall OS when 5.0 was like a reinstall. Anyone else have this intermittent issue?
    05-20-10 08:21 PM
    Guys, it took me nearly 4hours to fix my phone this problem. It seems to be some form of error with updating bbm especially on the 9900. The problem from what ive notice is there is a conflict with updating bbm messenger via the internet and blackberry world via some models of blackberry phones. Sometimes there is no action when trying to open contacts, bbm and blackberry app world.

The method to solve this issues is not easy, if you need instructions i dont mind speaking on the phone or sending email to anyone to fix this problems.

email me on lucian_star@live.co.uk
    05-04-13 09:43 AM
    Guys, it took me nearly 4hours to fix my phone this problem. It seems to be some form of error with updating bbm especially on the 9900. The problem from what ive notice is there is a conflict with updating bbm messenger via the internet and blackberry world via some models of blackberry phones. Sometimes there is no action when trying to open contacts, bbm and blackberry app world.

The method to solve this issues is not easy, if you need instructions i dont mind speaking on the phone or sending email to anyone to fix this problems.

email me on lucian_star@live.co.uk
    05-04-13 09:46 AM
    I also had this problem, but it was solved by reinstalled an old version BBM...
    05-07-13 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD