10-17-11 03:19 PM
26 12
tools
    Just when I thought I had my 8310 all figured out, here I am with but another question. EXACTLY what is BB Messenger used for ? What is the difference between BB Messenger & SMS ? Please respond in detail. Some replies I see are like a politicians never really answering the question . Thanks !
    10-02-08 10:37 PM
    BBM is an instant messenger for BB users and uses data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 10:39 PM
    BB messenger is real time messaging where SMS has a delay. Also with BB messenger there is no text character limit and you can tell if someone has opened the message you sent them or not...
    10-02-08 10:40 PM
    BBM is also free if I am correct.

10-02-08 10:40 PM
    BBM is also free if I am correct.

Yes, it uses data only...
    10-02-08 10:41 PM
    BBM is really nice to use. I just wish it connected to like all users on any service. But even though it is exclusive to the blackberry, its a really nice simple Instant messaging program. You can sit there and chat with someone back and forth like as if you were online. Its sweet! Plus, i think you can have a group chat to!
    10-02-08 10:42 PM
    Yeah, you can only use the BB Mssgr with people with a BB. You can SMS anyone with a cell phone. You need to get their pin# which is like their screen name, its different for every BB, and request their pin to be added to ur BBM. Hope I don't sound like a politician, I'm not running for anything.

10-02-08 10:44 PM
    Thanks to you all for the quick replies (Crackberry is really a great forum with lots of activity) ! So what we are saying here is you can only use BBM for messaging other Blackberry users. BBM has its own contact list and its more like using instant messenger.
    10-02-08 10:57 PM
    Yes - exactly. You can only use BBM with other BBs because only they have PINs, and this is what BBM uses to identify each user.

10-02-08 11:00 PM
    Thanks, really appreciate the help.
    10-02-08 11:02 PM
    I don't know anybody else who has a BB.
    10-02-08 11:04 PM
    I don't know anybody else who has a BB.
    There are tons of members of cb who would be more than happy to be your bbm buddy.

10-02-08 11:10 PM
    Plus you get lots of funny smileys to use. lol . I'm on the BlackBerry help team at work and get bbm's from coworkers all the time asking questions. The funny thing is I don't have a work issued BlackBerry, I need push to talk so my work phone is a Motorola brick. Bbm is flexible for communicating with other BlackBerry users.

10-02-08 11:32 PM
    I love BBM, but for some reason my boyfriend hates it! So even though he has a BB, I am stuck using SMS. Pft.

10-03-08 12:00 AM
    He hates bbm? What's there to hate? Its way more convenient than SMS texting.

10-03-08 01:05 AM
    If you have any friend using bb overseas, then bb messenger is like free international sms...
    ps: Sprint international sms sucks, not all country supported
    10-03-08 01:22 AM
    Also, not everybody has unlimited text messages. Sms can costs you money depending on your plan if you go over you limit. Bbm is unlimited.

10-03-08 01:24 AM
    I love BBM, but for some reason my boyfriend hates it! So even though he has a BB, I am stuck using SMS. Pft.

No need to fear. You can always Messege me anytime. I love the bbm like you to! lol
    10-03-08 01:52 AM
    I don't understand...what is there to hate about using BBM? I wish more of my friends had BBs.

10-03-08 02:00 AM
    I have been using messenger now for about 2 months, and LOVE IT!! Especially because I can message all my BB friends who don't have Verizon and not have to pay for it!

Now, though, I do have a question. I have a friend who is using an International plan with her new BB (it's a gov't issue)....she is overseas and has been using the BBM with no problem. We just want to make sure that the data usage is free....is that plan dependant??
    12-11-08 05:12 PM
    No, it is not plan dependent. You can BBM chat with any BB no matter
    where in the world it is and as long as you have a BB data plan
    it will be free.
    12-11-08 05:19 PM
    Also, not everybody has unlimited text messages. Sms can costs you money depending on your plan if you go over you limit. Bbm is unlimited.

This saves me about $15 a month since all my friends have BB's. It's pretty cool because we can all be in one chat at the same time just acting like a bunch of insubordinate teenagers
    12-11-08 07:02 PM
    BBM is great. You can enter text and send without clicking the ball by just hitting the enter key. Send pics and quick voice notes. Also if you want to talk to more than one person you can have a conference. Only thing that I wish they would do would be to allow voice notes during conference.
    12-11-08 11:36 PM
    I have the 9550 Storm 2. Blackberry Messenger has a character limit. I have not counted them, but after quite a lengthy message it displayed "field full".
    04-08-10 07:23 PM
    Other advantages include file attachment, instant delivery and read confirmation of said attached files, group participation, barcode recognition of groups or individual users, and a massive online community of BBM enthusiasts.

After using several types of instant messengers, BBM is by far the most reliable and convenient to use (of the free options). Downside is limitation to Blackberry users only.
    Last edited by smoke_armada; 04-09-10 at 01:43 PM. Reason: clarification
    04-09-10 10:21 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD