02-02-12 08:53 PM
26 12
tools
    Hi there,

I bought the Bold 9700 because I was given to understand from friends that I could take this instrument anywhere in the world and the blackberry messenger and the Whatapp chats would be completely free of charge.

However my last two trips abroad tmobile has charged me exhorbitantly for my chats and they say that its using their network and that they charge $15/mb of usage of the device abroad.

I even told them that I was using the wireless when out of the country so how can they charge me when I am using someone elses wireless. They didnt have an answer but charged me anyways.

I have the following questions if you could please answer as I do travel frequently abroad . . .

1) Is there ANY way to get blackberry messenger, SMSs and WhatsApp chats to be free when abroad?

2) Is it true that if I use available wireless when travelling, that I can piggyback on the wireless for the above chats and not have to pay a cent to Tmobile?

3) If so is there a setting on the Blackberry 9700 that allows me to turn on the wireless to work for chats but keep the carriers line free so I can still receive phone calls?

4) Is there a way to TURN OFF the carriers line and ONLY use wireless for phone calls AND chats?

5) Any other settings or advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

Much thanks,
    Mareena
    01-11-11 07:50 PM
    Someone gave you bad advice.

Options > Mobile Network > Data Off While Roaming
    01-11-11 07:57 PM
    I don't understand what you mean when you say you were "using the wireless" or "someone else's wireless" when out of country. Do you have a different sim card in there or are you using someone else's phone with your T-Mo sim? The only way to avoid such charges to your T-Mobile account is to unlock your device and use a foreign sim in it, however the carrier you use has to have BIS data plans for these BlackBerry specific features to work.

I think, when you say wireless, you mean WiFi. IF that's the case you're mistaken and have been mislead. I too once thought that it seemed logical, and was told that it were possible, however T-Mo seems to know anyway, and will charge you, in every instance I've seen. That answers numbers 1 & 2...

3. No!
    4. Yes, go into connection manager and deselect Mobile Network. That turns off carrier use, however you'll only be able to do calls and emails via the WiFi, no SMS or other IM-like chats.

Now this is just what I've gathered from my short time as a T-Mo rep and simple logic, but I could be wrong. There's always loopholes... ;D

Somebody please correct me if and where I'm wrong here.
    01-11-11 08:06 PM
    Thank you Motorcycle Mama and BeyondTheBox. So in other words there is NO WAY to use even Blackberry Messenger or WhatsApp when abroad using WiFi (in order to avoid paying the large charges Tmobile charges)????

BeyondTheBox - can you please tell me where I can find CONNECTION MANAGER in my 9700 Menu to figure out how I can DESELECT the Mobile Network?

Much thanks again,
    Mareena
    01-11-11 08:40 PM
    Thank you Motorcycle Mama and BeyondTheBox. So in other words there is NO WAY to use even Blackberry Messenger or WhatsApp when abroad using WiFi (in order to avoid paying the large charges Tmobile charges)????
    Nope. BlackBerry Messenger and WhatsApp all require some sort of carrier support so it would be impossible to use wifi to send anything.
    01-11-11 08:47 PM

BeyondTheBox - can you please tell me where I can find CONNECTION MANAGER in my 9700 Menu to figure out how I can DESELECT the Mobile Network?

Much thanks again,
    Mareena
    From the home screen, scroll down to Manage Connections, from there, you could turn anything like wifi, bluetooth and mobile network (phone) off. Mobile network options enables you to turn data services off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 02:34 AM
    Mareenab, If this helps I just spoke with T-mob and for 10.00/month (which they will prorate) you can get unlimited email and unlimited blackberry messenger when traveling abroad.
    I was also told (specific for Costa Rica) that standard texts sent will be .35/min, with incoming texts free.

My question to the community is this. Not being a blackberry messenger user, do blackberry messenger messages work when communicating with any other phone or just another blackberry?

Thanks
    01-12-11 07:56 AM
    Nope. BlackBerry Messenger and WhatsApp all require some sort of carrier support so it would be impossible to use wifi to send anything.
    WhatsApp only need you carrier for SMS when you first activate the application. It can be used exclusively on data otherwise.

They used to have a version for iPod Touch, in fact, and you can still use an older version on the iTouch and chat with it (later versions don't work only due to SMS requirement to validate a phone number).

Maybe it's different on Blackberries than on Android and iOS /shrug/
    01-12-11 08:03 AM
    Mareenab, If this helps I just spoke with T-mob and for 10.00/month (which they will prorate) you can get unlimited email and unlimited blackberry messenger when traveling abroad.
    I was also told (specific for Costa Rica) that standard texts sent will be .35/min, with incoming texts free.

My question to the community is this. Not being a blackberry messenger user, do blackberry messenger messages work when communicating with any other phone or just another blackberry?

Thanks
    BBM only communicates between blackberries.

01-12-11 08:13 AM
    That's not true I use my phone abroad all the time have my data turned off while roaming and use wifi to send bbms/emails/browser etc and not get charged. Btw this is only based on vodafone uk.

01-12-11 12:07 PM
    That's not true I use my phone abroad all the time have my data turned off while roaming and use wifi to send bbms/emails/browser etc and not get charged. Btw this is only based on vodafone uk.

I could understand WhatsApp but how does BBM work without connecting to a carriers data network? That's impossible. Like you said, maybe Vodafone UK has some way of doing it but if it were true to all BlackBerry's, no one would bother to get a data plan.
    01-12-11 12:41 PM

Hi BabyChan, I think you are right in that Blackberrys that are obtained from abroad and use that local country's carrier (like in your case Vodaphone) ARE able to indeed use wifi to send bbms, emails, browsers.

I think we in America have been severely limited by our carriers or have to pay for the service to be used abroad. At least with Tmobile phones, I can change to a local SIM, but with Verizon, you have to use their international plan which is exorbitant.

Thank you all for your responses. I will try by turning the carrier off and just use wifi on my next trip abroad and see if that works. If not, it seems paying Tmobile $10 a month might be my only solution as my bills are doubled when I travel compared to what I would pay when I am in the country.

Much thanks again,
    Mareena
    01-12-11 01:40 PM
    I could understand WhatsApp but how does BBM work without connecting to a carriers data network? That's impossible. Like you said, maybe Vodafone UK has some way of doing it but if it were true to all BlackBerry's, no one would bother to get a data plan.
    When you connect to WiFi whether your in your home country or abroad, BIS is routed through the Wifi connection.

All i do is turn off data while roaming in mobile network options and then when i get to my destination, turn on wifi and connect to the local wifi hotspot. Ive done this in 4-5 different countries in the last year.

I'm Vodafone UK too but my sister is on Orange UK and i did the same for her and it worked the same.

I think the OP had data on while roaming hence the costs incured.

I hope that helps!
    01-12-11 01:41 PM
    mainman1303 could be correct here, as data roaming will stop you from using international carrier networks to perform these operations, relying on any other connection it has, which if done as desired, would then be WiFi.
    01-12-11 03:35 PM
    Hi Mainmain1303,

Thank you for your post. Could I request you to please write out a step by step process of how you TURN OFF data while roaming as well as how you TURN ON WIFI and connect to the local WIFI to use WhatsApp, BBM and SMS.

Much thanks,
    Mareena
    01-12-11 03:37 PM
    options > mobile networks > (data roaming) turn it off

simple as that mareenab!

Turning on WiFi is done through, as I told you before, the Connection Manager...

From HomeScreen - Menu (BB key) > Find Icon Manage Connections > Turn on WiFi (make sure box next to it has green checkmark) > scroll to & select Setup WiFi Network > Scan for Networks > choose an open network with a decent signal and voila... you're running.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that WiFi networks can only project their signal so far, and if you're moving around you'll only have connection in centralized spots, such as the Hotel you're in, some places of business, etc. Some might be locked networks requiring a password, which you can obtain by asking, if it's shared.
    01-12-11 03:41 PM
    Hello,

I roam VERY frequently and I agree, the best way to avoid roaming charges abroad is to use WiFi. If you set 'data off while roaming' you won't be able to use BBM at all (at least it's like that on the Bold). The right setting to use on a 9700 is to leave data services ON but to specify, under 'connection preference', WIFI Only. That's the safest option to have BBM without using 3g. At least in my experience!
    01-12-11 03:44 PM
    I'm on Orange UK (currently I'm on my home network so not roaming) but I can turn the GSM radio completely OFF and still get the UMA/WIFI+ the little BB logo (connected to BIS).

You can still see Orange because I'm in an UMA situation, but it works equally well outside of UMA (tried already)

Screenshot or it didn't happen:

EDIT:
    Other screenie without UMA, note the BB logo and the message waiting!
    Last edited by ttz; 01-12-11 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
    01-12-11 03:52 PM
    ttz - UMA is a network dependent feature... and Orange UK is the only network in the UK that allows you to use your current broadband router...

UMA basically allows your calls to go through your home internet connection allowing you to have full signal in a poor signal area.

Vodafone UK have a similar service but you have to buy extra hardware to connect to your home broadband.

Mareenb - Beyondthebox has it spot on. You don't have to turn off mobile network, you jus have to have 'data while roaming' option to off. So when you connect to a a foreign network, you blackberry will know and won't allow data to pass in the normal way.

Another indication will be the connection status, i.e normally you will have 'GPRS or 3G' in your home country, but when you are roaming and data is off it will show 'gprs and 3g' (big and small letters apply.) This means calls can pass through but data cant.

So knowing that, when you get in a wifi hotspot, go back to options - manage connections and turn on wifi, and then scroll down and you will see manage wifi. There will be a wizard in there to help you find and connect to the wifi connection.

Once connected to the Wifi connection the Wifi symbol won't be greyed out and will be in black and white, this will mean you are connected to it and BIS is allowed. and thats all you have to do, start using BBM, whatsapps and any other internet dependent apps. SMS will still work as it relys on the mobile network and not internet!

So to clarify:

Turn off data while roaming (options - manage connections)
    Connect wifi to hotspot (hotel, Mcd's etc)
    Done! Start using your fone as normal.

One thing to point out as beyondthebox did, wifi is limited to a specific area, once you move out of it, you will lose connection and only be able to receive calls and sms.

Hope that helps!
    01-12-11 05:34 PM
    ttz - UMA is a network dependent feature... and Orange UK is the only network in the UK that allows you to use your current broadband router...

UMA basically allows your calls to go through your home internet connection allowing you to have full signal in a poor signal area.

Vodafone UK have a similar service but you have to buy extra hardware to connect to your home broadband.
    As you can see from the second screenshot, I can completely disable the GSM radio and go through a non-UMA wifi all the way to the BIS. I tried it now at work and it works a treat, and the network here is definitely not UMA compatible (no UMA icon on the screen). I definitely have BB service as mails are coming in as usual. Either Orange has their BIS set up in such a way that makes it accessible from the wider internet (and if that's true, thanks Orange!) but it definitely works on plain wifi for me.

Tony
    01-13-11 05:14 AM
    here in the philippines, im able to turn off the mobile network.. use wifi only and still use BBM... but then again i already have unlimited bis
    01-13-11 06:27 AM
    As you can see from the second screenshot, I can completely disable the GSM radio and go through a non-UMA wifi all the way to the BIS. I tried it now at work and it works a treat, and the network here is definitely not UMA compatible (no UMA icon on the screen). I definitely have BB service as mails are coming in as usual. Either Orange has their BIS set up in such a way that makes it accessible from the wider internet (and if that's true, thanks Orange!) but it definitely works on plain wifi for me.

Tony
    Tony your spot on... UMA is Orange UK specific and its something they have enabled. Which basically means all your calls, emails, bbm etc can work for u on a wifi only network.

Where as on vodafone uk, if I do the same I lose the ability to make calls and send sms. I could only send emails, bmm etc...

I wish all netorks would enable UMA as its a great feature.

01-13-11 11:43 AM
    Hi BabyChan, I think you are right in that Blackberrys that are obtained from abroad and use that local country's carrier (like in your case Vodaphone) ARE able to indeed use wifi to send bbms, emails, browsers.

I think we in America have been severely limited by our carriers or have to pay for the service to be used abroad. At least with Tmobile phones, I can change to a local SIM, but with Verizon, you have to use their international plan which is exorbitant.

Thank you all for your responses. I will try by turning the carrier off and just use wifi on my next trip abroad and see if that works. If not, it seems paying Tmobile $10 a month might be my only solution as my bills are doubled when I travel compared to what I would pay when I am in the country.

Much thanks again,
    Mareena
    Hi Mainman 1303,

In your post here you mention that you sucessfully used SMS, BBM and WhatsApp by turning of data in roaming countries and using the local or hotspot wifis.

I tried to do this in my home country (USA) where I DESELECTED Mobile networks and kept WI-FI and Bluetooth SELECTED under the MENU> Manage Connections.

However when I tried to use the browser and BBM, and WhatsApp or SMS I got this error message which I am hoping you might help me understand and resolve as I really would like to be able to use my device out of the US like you have without incurring huge costs. The message I got while trying to use WI-FI locally at home in the US was the following:

"You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result the browser cannot retrieve any webpages. Please try again when you are in a different location or contact your service provider if the problem persist".

I tried about 2-3 different locations and I thought that all 3 locations cannot be an area that cannot handle data communication - so I must be doing something wrong.

Please advise.

Much thanks,
    Mareena
    01-26-11 06:33 PM
    Hi Mainman 1303,

In your post here you mention that you sucessfully used SMS, BBM and WhatsApp by turning of data in roaming countries and using the local or hotspot wifis.

I tried to do this in my home country (USA) where I DESELECTED Mobile networks and kept WI-FI and Bluetooth SELECTED under the MENU> Manage Connections.

However when I tried to use the browser and BBM, and WhatsApp or SMS I got this error message which I am hoping you might help me understand and resolve as I really would like to be able to use my device out of the US like you have without incurring huge costs. The message I got while trying to use WI-FI locally at home in the US was the following:

"You are not currently in an area that can handle data communication. As a result the browser cannot retrieve any webpages. Please try again when you are in a different location or contact your service provider if the problem persist".

I tried about 2-3 different locations and I thought that all 3 locations cannot be an area that cannot handle data communication - so I must be doing something wrong.

Please advise.

Much thanks,
    Mareena
    Hi

Yeh the problem you are having is switching your mobile network off.

SMS can only be sent through your mobile network and never through WIFI.
    Everything else can go through WIFI.

The reason your getting that message is because ur still in you home country. When you go abroad, the phone knows, and at that point won't allow mobile internet data to pass through as you have switched it off in the mobile network settings.

You can always leave ur mobile network connected so u can receive incoming calls and sms and also make calls and send sms.

By leaving mobile network on but switching off data while roaming means ur fone will know which country its in, stop mobile data passing and once connected to a wifi hotspot, will pass all bbm, whatsapp and emails etc through.

So to confirm:

Leave mobile network on (GPRS will be gprs or 3G will be 3g in foreign country)
    Switch off data while roaming
    Connect to wifi hotspot once over there.

SMS can only be sent via mobile network and will inncur high costs compaired to home. For example in the UK sms costs 10p and abroad costs 35p.

Hope that answers your question.

01-27-11 02:55 AM
    So, in short, one can use whatsapp overseas on a wifi network, as long as the "PUSH BIS (OK)" is unchecked, right?
    02-02-12 08:39 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD