I'll be moving back to Shanghai next week and would love to still be able to use BBM to connect with friends. I'm currently on the Unlimited Data Plan (I have a Bold) with AT&T. If I continue with my monthly plan and turn on my phone in Shanghai to use the BBM feature, wouldn't I be charged for roaming fee just from turning the phone on alone? I don't need to have the email, web browsing or calling features, but i just want to be able to use my BBM. How will I be able to do that? Can I do it while still being on the AT&T plan or there's other cheaper ways to do it?

Any help or feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    09-23-09 02:31 AM
    China is the BlackBerry pit of death! BBM might work in Shanghai if you change APN over to CMNET so if you leave roaming on you might be ok. after that there is NO cheap way to get it working. Blackberry services only work on China mobile and they will milk you for every last dollar they can get from you. Your an "american business" person so that means your rich and can pay for it. you Need to have someone with you who speaks chinese and you NEED to visit one of the large MAJOR offices, since the smaller stores are useless. basic data only service from them is $60 a month for 50MB or $87.57 for the 400MB plan. oh and they will offer you a nice new 7290 or 8700 to use on the service.....

I hate to say it but I pay $7.32 a month for 500MB of normal mobile internet so i use Palringo.... just not BBM... email over gmail... some times ya gotta do what ya gotta do
    09-23-09 08:59 PM
    How do you change APN to China Mobile Net in Shanghai, is it as simple as adding the username and password details or does it need service books sent to the device? I'm on o2 uk network with thei APN and service book, is it possible to have 2 different networks APN on the same device and for both sims to work? I'm looking to keep using my o2 sim while in shanghai using the wifi only for data when I need it but also would like to be able to use a shanghai china mobile sim for BB data, is this possible or can the device only keep one set of service books for each network at 1 time? So would I need to resend the service books back when I switch back to my o2 sim?
    05-01-10 10:01 AM