05-05-10 05:15 PM
31 12
tools
    Was just flying through the site and was looking at what RIM was letting pass through as things being said about BBM and came across this. That will sure sell people into wanting their products haha.
    05-01-10 12:52 PM
    05-01-10 12:58 PM
    Pretty sure the OP doesn't have any BBM friends.... ...Ha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-10 01:29 PM
    Not sure if that's what the OP was saying...

Unless the OP fired up the old Photo shop to get that image to read what it does...

I think the OP was just pointing out what the image says...(which apparently, are live twitts from random folks)

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...2&d=1272736267

Anyway, for me, BBM is overrated. I needed the space for other more useful apps. If I want to IM folks, I'll use my YIM, AIM or Facebook on IM+ Lite. Just doesn't seem like a big deal to have to find BBM buddies just for BBM... only people with BBs. *shrugs*
    Last edited by MACKSnare519; 05-01-10 at 01:55 PM.
    05-01-10 01:50 PM
    Oh ok. Yes, any app could be considered overrated if you don't use it. For me Twitter, Facebook, NFL are all overrated because i have no need for them. Doesn't necessarily mean they're not good quality apps. i also agree that i wouldn't go out of my way to find people to add to BBM. i know 5 friends that have BlackBerry phones and 13 CrackBerry Mods. So it's useful to me.

05-01-10 02:01 PM
    Oh ok. Yes, any app could be considered overrated if you don't use it. For me Twitter, Facebook, NFL are all overrated because i have no need for them. Doesn't necessarily mean they're not good quality apps. i also agree that i wouldn't go out of my way to find people to add to BBM. i know 5 friends that have BlackBerry phones and 13 CrackBerry Mods. So it's useful to me.

I say its overrated because its exclusiveness that keeps one from chatting with a wider range of people. That says nothing about the quality of the app(b/c it is of great quality). I have quite a few friends who have BBs, I tell them to just hit me up on Yahoo.

I also call it overrated because BB users rant and rave over it, and people always say how much they'd miss BBM if they left the BB platform. That always gets me...lol I guess I just don't get it.
    05-01-10 02:10 PM
    Yes, Chrissy!!! ANY app is overrated if you don't use it! Obviously, the random twitter feed posted on that ad was from someone who has no friends on BBM.
    If you don't use it, BBM takes up a lot of precious memory, especially on a little phone like my curve 8330.
    HOWEVER, if someone wanted to post MY twitter feed, it might say..."Deleted all my apps so I could just use BBM on my phone!" Cause I practically have and that's how much I enjoy BBM...

To each his own!
    05-01-10 02:13 PM
    I use BBM all the time! I'm addicted to BBM. Its one of the reasons why I could never get rid of my Blackberry is becuase of BBM
    05-01-10 03:06 PM
    i don't really understand what you're saying here. This isn't an official RIM BlackBerry site. Who said it was overrated? Why again?

If you don't know anyone that uses BBM then there are NO advantages for you. Personally i am trying to get away from SMS/MMS as it's an extra cost that isn't really needed anymore.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly...

If it wasn't for the fact that a good chunk of the people I communicate with don't use BlackBerries, I'd ditch SMS/MMS altogether and use BBM exclusively.
    05-01-10 03:27 PM
    I use BBM mainly for chatting with other BB Communities' admins and mods, as I'm a mod for the Spanish BB community.
    05-01-10 03:29 PM
    My wife and I enjoy BBM. It is our primary mode of communication when we are apart now. I like it better than sms because we can type longer messages. But if you don't have any use for it then I can see how someone would think that it is overrated.

05-01-10 04:55 PM
    I don't think BBM is overrated but I have unlimited sms/mms and so do all my friends who have a BB. So I really have no need for it. It is a cool feature tho.

05-01-10 06:04 PM
    When you have 70 people on your bbm list, about 60 of whom you talk to on a weekly basis it's definitely not overrated. I can't say I'm addicted to BBM but I can't live without it. Haha.
    05-02-10 02:28 AM
    I use BBM all the time, the BBM group feature is a great feature, the ability to put up lists, post pictures, have a group calendar and have multi person chats with the ability to create more chats is something that only BBM has got. If you were in BBM groups you would not be saying it's overrated, I'm only using a Pearl 8110 and BBM is one app that will never be removed.

Roland

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-02-10 02:40 AM
    haha the site shouldn't rely on using #BBM cause you can't expect what people will say on twitter!!
    05-02-10 02:57 AM
    Groups. Makes BBM worth it. Other than that its just the same as any other IM program.
    05-02-10 03:18 AM
    Was just flying through the site and was looking at what RIM was letting pass through as things being said about BBM and came across this. That will sure sell people into wanting their products haha.
    I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw that add. WTF does people sitting at a table having a VERBAL IN PERSON conversation, have to do with BBM??
    05-02-10 03:39 AM
    Actually all my friends use BBs :s... Except one who uses teh iphone :P lol. We talk all the time, share pics, send voice messages, ping each other. When we go shopping for food or snacks or drinks we can just upload a pic and it's there instantly. Groups rocks. And my partner uses BB too, so we're always talking. I used to pay around 90 euros a month over my normal plan in phone calls, since I got BB and I use BBM (plus other IM clients, too) I no longer go out of my calling minutes . I think BB has increased my social life, while at the same time saving me some cash. BBM is i'd say 95% of my social communication via my data line, and other IM clients would be the other 5% (usually because someone says that they're on the PC and don't want to pick up the phone, which I also say sometimes lol).

BBM is not overrated, I love it, and I COULD live without it, but I just don't want to greatest messaging app out there!
    05-02-10 04:34 AM
    I have unlimited texting due to so many different phones on our family plan, so need that, but I have over 40 friends and stay in contact with at least 15 of them on a regular basis on BBM...could I live without it? Of course, do I want to? Not at the moment...

05-02-10 08:27 AM
    People forget to remember that bbm was designed with the corporate world in mind.

Your boss can quickly bbm you as long as the device radio is on. Your secretary can discreetly page you or send you documents.

This is nothing new for yahoo and msn, but it offers a level of security that business people and IT admins like. MSN and yahoo don't offer this security and control as yet on the bb platform.

Especially the groups function.

To date Msn and yahoo are still open designs where other software can be created to use msn and yahOo protocols. I don't think bbm has any alternative clients yet. Big corps like this.

The failure of the sidekick devices to protect executive and hollywood peoples' data is still something fresh in the mind of corporate it houses. I am sure President Obama uses bbm... Probably for state business as well. I see generals and secretaries in washington using the damn thing and I realise that the CIA and NSA aren't freaking out. If he or his staff were to get on msn or yahoo it would be a different matter all together.

My point is that many of the bb features are designed for corporate houses in mind. Consumers encounter these same features and then ask WTF is this ?

It wasn't made for you really... It was made for the white collar busy person who signs your paycheck.

05-02-10 09:56 AM
    nice Photoshop
    05-02-10 11:00 AM
    add me- 23887NOWAY
    05-02-10 11:46 AM
    I used bbm and if it wasn't so laggy at times or a memory hog would still be on my phone I also have always had unlimited SmS and used both .The bbm messenger just got to be to much of a memory hog for my 8330 maybe my next device it will function better.that's about it... obama just SmS me gotta see what he needs

05-02-10 12:05 PM
    BBM was half the reason I switched back to the 9700 after having the 3GS for a month. Once you start using it frequently, there's no going back...
    05-02-10 12:08 PM
    I have 3 jobs, two of them are very high profile and high security. I'm a Military contracted astrophysicists working on particle accelerated engineered engines on the new line of space shuttles and military Aircraft. I need to be in instantaneous contact with other scientist, technicians and engineers. BBM has the large none limit letter size I need, the security I need and the ability to have lots and lots of people to participate in the same conversation. In that category i have a good 200 people there. All of which I talk to if not every day then at least once a week.

The second high profile job is I'm a I'm a Major in the United States Marine Corp. I'm usually on the field but due to recent injuries I've been temporarily reassigned to a Major Generals staff. Being this Major Generals aide for Tactics and Strategic arms, I'm in contact nearly everyday with about 60 other officers ranked from Capitan to Colonel as well as 4 Brigadier Generals and 2 Major Generals and a Lieutenant General. If I was to message them with any other IM client or sms I would be in a crap load of trouble because those are simple to steal information out of. Again i need all the great abilities that only BBM can offer us. Many military personal in important or high ranking positions use the blackberry as ther mobile device.

I also have a good deal of outside friends on my phone. Its a personal phone i have registered to allow for my busniss use so I'm allowed friends on it athough I need to be every careful. Its a great way to keep in contact.

The groups function is great for my work. Each department has a group and your in any group that partains to what you need.

I use BBM more then anything else on my phone and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Its very far from overrated for me.
    05-02-10 05:53 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD