I am a total newbie, and like so many other BB users want to LOVE my new phone, it is not happening yet.

I want to know how to turn the notification sound on in my BBM app. Nothing pings, bleeps or any other sound when I get a new message and it drives me crazy. I can find how to "vibrate" when a message arrives, but how do I get an actual sound?

Thanks!
    01-12-09 02:57 PM
    01-12-09 03:00 PM
    Ok, that is not a place I would have ever found. Thanks for the fast help!
    01-12-09 03:18 PM
    What exactly is BBM called when I go in to change the setting? I tried changing just about everything there and it still does not notify me.
    Thanks
    01-13-09 03:29 PM
    What exactly is BBM called when I go in to change the setting? I tried changing just about everything there and it still does not notify me.
    Thanks
    Messenger- Alert
    Messenger- New Message

Make sure you have it set to TONE and set the Ring Tone that you want to use.
    Make sure the volume is not on mute as well.
    01-13-09 03:38 PM
    Yea What He Said
    01-13-09 03:46 PM
    to set the PING:

while in BBM
    Menu
    Options
    Vibrate When Receiving a Ping: YES
    01-13-09 04:35 PM
    What is the difference between
    Messenger -Alert and
    Messenger - New Message ? I couldn't seem to figure it out when playing with settings. I would like to set the tone to loud for the start of a conversation but to low each time a new sentence is sent within an open conversation. Is this possible?
    01-13-09 09:04 PM
    Make sure that you're status in Blackberry Messenger isn't set to Unavailable. When it's set to that status, it'll only take your messages but not notify you with sounds, or lights.

1) Open BB Messenger
    2) Options
    3) My Status
    4) Click Available (Here you will also be able to type a message for others to see; ex. At work, lv 1. Etc...)

Enjoy! I found this common mistake and just fixed it for myself!

Wish you the best!
    06-29-09 12:37 PM
    What is the difference between
    Messenger -Alert and
    Messenger - New Message ? I couldn't seem to figure it out when playing with settings. I would like to set the tone to loud for the start of a conversation but to low each time a new sentence is sent within an open conversation. Is this possible?
    Messenger- New Message: tone plays for new BBM messages.

Messenger- Alert: tone plays when a busy contact becomes available.

To set an Alert for a contact:
    While in BBM
    Highlight Busy contacts name (clock next to name)
    Menu
    Set Alert

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 02:26 PM
    Newbie here. I'm loving the messenger except for hearing the ringtone for every reply I get during a conversation. Is there any way to cut it off once the conversation starts going back and forth? I use to love the ringtone I set for it, but after many long conversations....I hate that sound!!Ha!
    06-29-09 03:29 PM
    No way to do that.

i usually just put the phone on silent if i'm having a long BBM convo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 03:31 PM
    The BBM alert tones on my phone is just 3. AT$T 9800 torch. I need more hw do I get them. I love the tones in Bold 2
    07-09-12 12:31 PM
    Thanks Lawik, was trying to figure out for days, changing profile options etc.
    Your solutin fixed the problem instantly! I must have changed the status to unavailable and forgot about it.

1) Open BB Messenger
    2) Options
    3) My Status
    4) Click Available (Here you will also be able to type a message for others to see; ex. At work, lv 1. Etc...)

Kind Regards,
    Uttam
    02-28-13 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD