05-22-12 12:44 AM
41 12
tools
    Dominic, thank u very much. I am going to try what u've suggested and post back.

Again thanks.
    08-21-09 06:11 AM
    I guess I was more perturbed at the fact that this person was stating that we, needed, to get it to work on other devices. Not saying there's a harm, just agreeing with an earlier post stating that if it were to be able to go on all phones what's the point of it being our blackberry messenger? They decided to get a different phone and now want that? It's people just wanting all of the best worlds, being greedy if you will. For lack of a better word.

As far as more people on bbm, there is the option to add emails, which in return would give you the ability to have more people on your bbm list.

I'm not going to deny the fact that there's some people I have to text, which becomes annoying with character limits and what not. But I never really thought "gosh, I wish they could get bbm on their phone" it was more like. "I wish they had the awesomeness of a blackberry."

That's my opinion though. Just seems like no one is ever happy anymore with their own choices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    First off, there isn't anything inherently wrong with wanting the best of both worlds or, as you put it, "all of the best worlds". Why would any logical person spend another $500+ on a Blackberry when they already own a Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android or other device that's [theoretically] capable of running BBM? Following your logic, Blackberry Connect would have never existed. Some people don't want to or can't be locked into the Blackberry ecosystem, believe it or not. Secondly, unless you work for RIM then it's not "our" BBM.

I wasn't offended and didn't think his post was offensive at all. I agree with the idea of BBM being available to other platforms(Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, Web OS, Android and even the IPhone) because it wouldn't hurt RIM to license the software to other companies, IMO. I do, however, disagree with the idea of BBM being made available on other platforms through not-so-official(and not-so-legal) means.

However, I don't think there should be a push on RIM's part to license BBM to anyone since the other companies would prefer to keep their proprietary alternatives like Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger and Nokia's Ovi Chat. Ideally, RIM would like as many consumers as possible to use their services but I'm sure that they'd prefer it if said consumers simply got a Blackberry.

I'm not bashing RIM or the Blackberry platform by any means. I've been enjoying my Curve for the short time I've had it. All I'm saying is that I don't feel there's anything wrong with a person wanting additional functionality from the device that they've already made a substantial investment in, be it an HTC TyTN II or a Nokia E61i.
    08-28-09 03:49 AM
    First off, there isn't anything inherently wrong with wanting the best of both worlds or, as you put it, "all of the best worlds". Why would any logical person spend another $500+ on a Blackberry when they already own a Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android or other device that's [theoretically] capable of running BBM? Following your logic, Blackberry Connect would have never existed. Some people don't want to or can't be locked into the Blackberry ecosystem, believe it or not. Secondly, unless you work for RIM then it's not "our" BBM.

I wasn't offended and didn't think his post was offensive at all. I agree with the idea of BBM being available to other platforms(Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, Web OS, Android and even the IPhone) because it wouldn't hurt RIM to license the software to other companies, IMO. I do, however, disagree with the idea of BBM being made available on other platforms through not-so-official(and not-so-legal) means.

However, I don't think there should be a push on RIM's part to license BBM to anyone since the other companies would prefer to keep their proprietary alternatives like Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger and Nokia's Ovi Chat. Ideally, RIM would like as many consumers as possible to use their services but I'm sure that they'd prefer it if said consumers simply got a Blackberry.

I'm not bashing RIM or the Blackberry platform by any means. I've been enjoying my Curve for the short time I've had it. All I'm saying is that I don't feel there's anything wrong with a person wanting additional functionality from the device that they've already made a substantial investment in, be it an HTC TyTN II or a Nokia E61i.

+1000

I agree completely.
    09-10-09 04:29 PM
    wouldnt it be cool if Apple had their own type of Messenger like BBM
    09-26-09 03:16 PM
    wouldnt it be cool if Apple had their own type of Messenger like BBM
    iChat may exist on the iPhone somewhere in the near future....hopefully.
    09-26-09 07:40 PM
    Hi. Does anyone know if Blackberry Messenger will work on a nonblackberry device, an iphone, voyager, motoQ, etc? Thanks in advance.

Somebody figures out how to use Blackberry Messenger on iPhone - CNN iReport
    11-21-09 02:58 PM
    If you watch the video, you'll note that you have to have a BB with a data plan in order to make this work. Its not a workaround to not having a BB at all and getting to use BBM.

Try again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 02:10 AM
    So you have to have a bb. Alot of people, including myself have a blackberry, but prefer to use another type of phone. I could set this up and have the best of both worlds, BBM plus all the other options of the touch pro 2. The longer battery life and the OS that I find easier to use.
    01-26-10 10:21 PM
    Well, I'll share what I know on this subject, hopefully it will help someone to get this going...
    First, Blackberry messenger is reliant on a PIN, which is derived from the IMEI of the device. The device registers with the RIM Relay, and after that point the device can pin message/blackberry messenger.
    Second, Blackberry connect on nokias can not send messages, they can only receive. I know that was discussed in the forum, but we may have to revisit it.
    RIM released an interface for windows mobile devices that will allows BES activation and BIS usage, allowing non RIM hardware to utilize the existing BB framework. This software I have been able to install on HTC touch pro, and the application was working. The problem came in on the Network i was testing it on. Was on the CDMA network on the big T in Canada. I provisioned the HTC to have a blackberry rate plan, thinking that it would provision the required elements for RIM relay to become a part of the equation. This did not happen. The system did a hardware check first, and although the device had BIS and BES provisioning, and a manually created account in the RIM Relay, the core network did not even start trying to create the proper provisioning. Thus the network never even began to try to talk to the RIM relay. So, as far as CDMA goes, Im willing to bet that this whole endeavor on the bit T and B in canada will not work under any circumstances.
    That said...the HSPA network is completely reliant on the provisioning of the SIM card. the provisioning has to exist even before the hardware is fired up. Therefore, anybody who were to have an HTC on the New canadian HSPA network will undoubtably have more success, provided that a blackberry rate plan were assigned to their account. And now we are left waiting. On the blackberry website, there is a list of the supported hardware for blackberry connect, i'd highly recommend you check the list before proceeding with any testing.
    As for blackberry messenger, i am also under the understanding that for windows mobile devices there was a "software suite" released as a leak on a bb forum. I dont have many details on this yet, but it did look like bb messenger was a part of that application suite. So if both parts of the equation were to be met, it may actually be possible to get it running on an HTC.
    Hopefully this helps somebody in the search for the answer...
    As for iphone users out there, id recommend just giving up. even if under some strange magic you got it working, you can still only run one app at a time.
    Last edited by Generator27; 02-25-10 at 03:12 PM.
    02-25-10 03:10 PM
    Just use whatsapp. It's exactly like BBM but has an iphone and BB version. I use it more than BBM now because of so many friends who have BBs and iPhones.
    02-25-10 10:01 PM
    you can def use blackberry messenger with another phone you just have to request the contact by email instead of pin. i worked as a tech on bb for 4 years, it can be done, there is even a way to download an app on a pc and use blackberry chat
    06-24-10 05:51 PM
    you can def use blackberry messenger with another phone you just have to request the contact by email instead of pin. i worked as a tech on bb for 4 years, it can be done, there is even a way to download an app on a pc and use blackberry chat
    Really?
    What's the pc app, I would be interested in that.
    06-24-10 09:19 PM
    On the newest version of BBM (5.0.138), is there any way to set an alert to notify that a sent message was read like in ver. 4.6.0 , I am useing a Nextel 8350i and a Sprint 8330, Ive downloaded 5.0.138 on the 8330 but cant seem to find this feature anywhere.
    08-20-10 07:48 PM
    Mehn, this topic is so far behind... Nothing new yet on the possibility of using BBM on a non-BB phone? Whr are the geeks in the house??
    05-22-12 12:22 AM
    Really?
    What's the pc app, I would be interested in that.
    This is the one I know... Used to work but don't know about now .... PC to BBM but replies come via email...
    http:// blackberryer.hostzi.com/
    --- you can check it out ...
    05-22-12 12:28 AM
    Additionally, if you own an iPhone, you might as well read this ... Well, BBM on non-BB device is still a tough nut to crack but a smart guy has figured out how to use BBM on iPhone... So if you have an iphone --- proceed to this link: Somebody figures out how to use Blackberry Messenger on iPhone - CNN iReport to see the demonstration and how you can do it.
    05-22-12 12:44 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD