I understand Blackberry Messenger is 100% free in the country you use it (whether your messaging the bb next door or in China). However, what happens when you try to use Blackberry Messenger in another country: is it still free? Is this chargeable under another network tower? Is it free under a wifi network in another country? Please give detailed answers if you are 100% sure and/or have experienced using Blackberry Messenger in another country. Bottom line - trying not to have any surprises on the next cell phone bill after I return from a trip.
    04-25-09 10:26 PM
    I understand Blackberry Messenger is 100% free in the country you use it (whether your messaging the bb next door or in China). However, what happens when you try to use Blackberry Messenger in another country: is it still free? Is this chargeable under another network tower? Is it free under a wifi network in another country? Please give detailed answers if you are 100% sure and/or have experienced using Blackberry Messenger in another country. Bottom line - trying not to have any surprises on the next cell phone bill after I return from a trip.
    Blackberry Messenger uses data, not unlike your email, or web browser does. Said another way, when you're overseas, unless you have TMobile's unlimited international email (which covers ALL data) package, you're going to be charged to use BBerry Messenger on a per kb basis.

If you're connected via wifi (UMA) and not the cell network, then there will be no associated charges when you're overseas.

Cuey
    04-25-09 10:54 PM
    Yep, the international email plan should cover the costs of BBM and any other data apps that you use.

It costs 19.99/month and you can add/remove it when you need it and the charged will be prorated.
    04-25-09 11:33 PM
    TMobile verified that international email does not cover data...fyi.
    04-27-09 03:01 PM
    If you post in the business section on here or anywhere for that matter, you'll find that those who have actually used this package can use any sort of data internationally and NOT get charged. I've seen screenshots of bills for proof and I know a close friend who has done this as well.

My guess is that the BB cannot really tell apart data usage from email versus data usage from apps so that's why the package covers everything...but that's not advertised.
    04-27-09 03:55 PM
    I'll believe if I see the link and actual screenshots through this thread
    04-27-09 04:00 PM
    From what I was told by a manager (not claiming this to be accurate, but this was word of mouth) PIN messages are free, whether inside the states or outside of them. Any other form of data gets billed.
    04-27-09 05:33 PM
    my friend uses bb messanger and sends pin messages from mexico all the time no difference in price.
    04-28-09 11:08 AM
    That's what I thought. My manager went to Italy and told us to PIN her if we needed her since it didn't cost anything. Any other form of data, text, or calls would have been charged, heavily.
    04-28-09 11:26 AM
    TMobile would be wrong. I spend about 25% of my time overseas, and have the BBerry Unlimited International Email package active on my account. I have never been charged for any data when that package has been active.
    04-28-09 12:05 PM
    Can you clarify if using the BB messenger internationally with contacts that have been added with a PIN rather than e-mail address is free?
    04-28-09 12:58 PM
    Can you clarify if using the BB messenger internationally with contacts that have been added with a PIN rather than e-mail address is free?
    This is exactly what I meant. Can anyone clarify using BB Messenger (in a physical location outside the country you originate from) is free under the unlimited international email? Yes, I know BBM is free in the country you use it in. I know the email part is free/prorated however you use it. However, can a reliable source post that using blackberry messenger in another country is also FREE (no matter which tower you operate under).
    04-28-09 03:52 PM
    This is exactly what I meant. Can anyone clarify using BB Messenger (in a physical location outside the country you originate from) is free under the unlimited international email? Yes, I know BBM is free in the country you use it in. I know the email part is free/prorated however you use it. However, can a reliable source post that using blackberry messenger in another country is also FREE (no matter which tower you operate under).
    I can confirm. Regardless of how a contact has been added to BBM, if you have the Unlimited Intl Data plan on your account, you will not get charged for data usage.
    04-28-09 05:20 PM
    I can confirm. Regardless of how a contact has been added to BBM, if you have the Unlimited Intl Data plan on your account, you will not get charged for data usage.

For Tmobile, there's no such plan as a "Unlimited Int'l Data" plan. There's an "Unlimited International Email". However, perhaps this link has confirmed: Unsupported Browser (see under "Data and Plans features"), see the very last sentence.

04-28-09 05:30 PM
    For Tmobile, there's no such plan as a "Unlimited Int'l Data" plan. There's an "Unlimited International Email". However, perhaps this link has confirmed: Unsupported Browser (see under "Data and Plans features"), see the very last sentence.

My apologies, I meant unlimited int'l email. With that plan, you can use data overseas (web, bbm, etc.) without any additional charges.
    04-28-09 05:45 PM
    I have been using bbm to talk to people i work with in the UK all the time with no extra charges on my bill. txt messaging is a different story VZ hits you up big time for that if you do not have the International plan,
    04-28-09 06:00 PM
    What about stuff like web, Viigo, and other data apps? Would they be charged by the MB?
    I'm going out of the country soon and I'd love to use my apps with the intern. Email plan without getting charged otherwise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 10:33 PM
    What about stuff like web, Viigo, and other data apps? Would they be charged by the MB?
    I'm going out of the country soon and I'd love to use my apps with the intern. Email plan without getting charged otherwise.

Yeah those will definitely be charged, no questions asked.
    04-28-09 10:59 PM
    I travel internationally often and I just add the Blackberry International Email plan every time. They tell me pretty clearly on the phone that only email traffic is included and not browser (and any other) traffic. But since I'm addicted to my berry, I use it all the time for data when I travel (Google Maps incessantly, Viigo, BBM, etc.) and I've never been charged extra for international data (knock on wood).
    04-30-09 05:57 PM
    came across this thread looking for an answer.

i'm going to china and south korea in a week and was wondering whether anyone has any friends they chat with there without getting charged?

i went to greece last year and used bbm for free, so we can add that to the list of italy, greece, UK, canada, and mexico where using BBM is free. does anyone know about asia?
    07-27-09 11:32 PM
    wht abt the UK?
    08-12-09 05:53 PM
    Question fast anyone, my girlfriend is going to the bahamas for a vacation this week. Would bbm be free for her if I'm in Pennsylvania, she's on her dad's 8830 for verizon.
    05-16-10 12:07 PM
    My Boyfriend has just moved to Australia for 7 months and were tying to keep the costs of contacting each other down. Both of us have Blackberry's and I have the BBM service. If he gets an Australian SIM card with the BBM service will it be free for both of us? Obviously i am paying for the add on here as will he when he purchases the SIM card - but just a bit unsure as too whether it isnt going to cost us both a stupid abmount!? Any one got any idea?!
    09-16-10 07:20 AM
    My Boyfriend has just moved to Australia for 7 months and were tying to keep the costs of contacting each other down. Both of us have Blackberry's and I have the BBM service. If he gets an Australian SIM card with the BBM service will it be free for both of us? Obviously i am paying for the add on here as will he when he purchases the SIM card - but just a bit unsure as too whether it isnt going to cost us both a stupid abmount!? Any one got any idea?!
    Just us local simcard , you'll be ok

09-18-10 10:31 AM
    I need a serious man for a serious relationship,let me know if u want my pin,I don't give it out
    08-06-13 05:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD