Hey, im new to blackberrys and i got my blackberry messenger set up today. The only problem is everyone else seems to have a "unavalible" option on their blackberry along with a few other status's. My blackberry only has Avalible and Buisy? Is there nothing i can do to stop people sending me messages when im not using it, as i know theres no sign off for blackberry messenger.

Also will leaving blackberry messenger logged in and running in the background use my data plan? I have a data plan but unfortunatly it isnt unlimited and i do use it for other things quite a lot so i dont want to go over it due to blackberry messenger not having a log out option.

I have a blackberry 9700 bold on vodafone and i have all the new updates for it.

Any help would be great
    Thanks
    09-04-10 01:17 PM
    there is no way to log off the bbm. No way to stop people from sending messages either, that's the way bbm was made. You can just put it on silent and get to them when you get a chance.
    09-04-10 04:16 PM
    GO to BBM options and disable notifications. You won't be bothered until you log in. Make sure to uncheck the integrate with email/messages. This will stop the notifications in the messages folder.
    09-04-10 04:36 PM
    I think that BBM uses an very small amount of your data plan.Anyway, I found also this,very interesting:
    1. 1 bit is just 0 or 1. The ASCII standard uses 8 bits (1 byte) to represent a character. If your plan is charged per KiloByte, then you get around 1000 characters per kilobyte.

2.....if i send an average of 200 messages per day. each message consisting of an average of 50 characters. 50 bits/8 equals 6 bytes per message. 6 bytes x 200 messages per day equals 1200bytes per day or to keep it simple 1MB per day. 30 days in a month equals 30mb. i have a 6mb plan and have never gone over with my usage. also use the internet and internet based programs constintly. it`s fairly safe to say that you can get tens of thousands of words for a MB of data.

You do the math
    Last edited by macinmac; 09-04-10 at 06:49 PM.
    09-04-10 06:36 PM
    Thanks for the replys guys.

bad_boy321's - I dont seem to have that option under my BBM options?

macinmac - So i only get charged on my data plan if im actually using it to send messages? I dont usually use BBM to send any messages on. Its just there lol.
    09-07-10 12:18 PM
    I think you have to turn off BBM notifications in your profile settings. Edit the BBM part of your current profile.
    09-07-10 12:30 PM
    IAmBBJosh - Thanks got it set to silent now.
    09-07-10 01:19 PM
    bbm uses so little data that I wouldn't worry about it.
    09-07-10 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD