A few years back on one of the other blackberry forums someone asked the same question, and the answer was pretty much no - the messages are sent in plain text. I'm hoping this has changed now, but can't find anything from RIM or on this site.

Over here there are a few threads where the question is can messages be logged with BES? To which the answer is yes.

My question is are they encrypted in anyway, and if not can they not simply be intercepted and read? My phones on BIS not BES..
    01-06-09 07:08 AM
    A few years back on one of the other blackberry forums someone asked the same question, and the answer was pretty much no - the messages are sent in plain text. I'm hoping this has changed now, but can't find anything from RIM or on this site.

Over here there are a few threads where the question is can messages be logged with BES? To which the answer is yes.

My question is are they encrypted in anyway, and if not can they not simply be intercepted and read? My phones on BIS not BES..
    Yes, BBM messages are encrypted end to end.
    02-03-10 02:21 PM
    Documented where? I'd like to see where this is explicitly stated from RIM, rather than just a comment from some guy I don't know on a forum.
    08-03-10 07:20 AM
    Having done some digging here:
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-3.0-US.pdf
    I believe this disputes your statement since BBM uses PIN and email messaging which are stated as NOT encrypted? Are you aware of some BBM document that supercedes above regarding general BIS security?
    08-03-10 08:04 AM
    Documented where? I'd like to see where this is explicitly stated from RIM, rather than just a comment from some guy I don't know on a forum.
    Hey genius, I specialize in data security and have been a member here quite a while. You can listen to people who know or not; your choice. But I'll give you two links you can look over but beyond that, Google it yourself and learn as the rest of us do.

Link 1

Link 2

Edit: Here are several more lazy:

Next

Next

Next
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 08-03-10 at 10:30 AM.
    08-03-10 10:27 AM
    Hey genius, I specialize in data security and have been a member here quite a while. You can listen to people who know or not; your choice. But I'll give you two links you can look over but beyond that, Google it yourself and learn as the rest of us do.
    Well, let's see. I don't know you and you don't know me. What, just because you've been here "quite a while" I'm supposed to take what you say as gospel, especially when the DOCUMENTATION from RIM themselves contradicts your assertion? Read the BIS Security document again.

Did you actually bother to READ that article to which you linked? For a link that supposedly supports your contention that all BBM traffic is encrypted, it's a bit curious that it states:
    "The authorities were able to trace the organizer, known as “Saud,” because he included his BlackBerry PIN in a BBM message he sent calling for the protest."

Now, enlighten us all as to exactly HOW if all BBM traffic is encrypted, how exactly did they trace him by reading information in a BBM message?

Listen, my request to you wasn't intended to be some personal attack, but you chose to take it personally and go on the attack. I was hoping you could point me to some RIM documentation (not supposed "news" articles on other web sites where it is clear what is being discussed is BES). Whatever floats your boat dude, but for someone who specializes in "data security" as you claim to be, you sure seem to place a lot more faith in hearsay about the web than documentation directly from RIM.

I'm not arguing that end-to-end encryption isn't in place on a fully BES device, but as soon as you open that device up to BIS you no longer have the end-to-end encryption and security of the BES Platform. At least, not according to the RIM documentation I've been able to track down. I would LOVE to find contrary documentation from RIM if you could point me to it I'd be greatly appreciative. The OP stated he is on BIS, not BES, and all documentation I can find from RIM relative to security and encryption is that the end-to-end encryption of data traffic ONLY applies to BES.

Be Well brother.
    08-04-10 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD