Im new to the whole blackberry scene and am logged into blackberry messenger, if blackberry messenger is closed, does it mean im still logged in? also am i being charged?(as of right now i only have a basic email package set up, have not gotten to upgrade it)

if im being charged and need to log out, could someone tell me how

i would really appreciate the help... thanks
    09-30-07 12:06 PM
    BB Messenger uses BIS data not GPRS/EDGE...

As far I know you're always connected to Messeger, you can just change how other can see you -- avalible/unavalible...
    09-30-07 12:19 PM
    Mattmarenic is right! But, I wish the BlackBerry Pin Messenger had an on /off function, too. People don't seem to respect the 'unavailable' option. They still send you messages, sad really...
    09-30-07 12:22 PM
    Only was to disable Messenger is to remove it...

Yes Nav this is sad and would be nice to have sign in option like GTalk or Y!Messenger have it...
    09-30-07 12:34 PM
    Yes I was wondering why it didn't have a sign off option as with all other messengers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-07 02:27 PM
    I agree it is said but i just use AIM on my crack so i can sign on and off the only thing that annoyes me is that im also always signed on on my copmuter so i constently get a messege from aol saying im signed on in two locations.
    09-30-07 05:57 PM
    so this probably sounds dumb and i appologize, but since its using data insead of the text package, is it charging to just be logged into the messenger or only when messaging people on it? i just dont want to run up a bill without the correct package if it can be prevented. thanks guys
    09-30-07 09:40 PM
    It's data, so does it really matter? I'm sure it's when you receive / send a message since that's when 'data' actually transmits...

Also, are you on an unlimited plan? If yes, you have nothing to worry about...
    lkscales likes this.
    09-30-07 09:48 PM
    I am on a limited data plan and there was no noticeable difference between months that I had bbm installed and running and months when I didn't. Don't worry about it's data usage.
    09-30-07 09:53 PM
    hey guys...I want to do the same thing...disable bberry messenger...I am on AT&T and I do not have a data plan at all at the moment (just unlimited texts) and when I was playing around on my phone the other day I think I activated it because it comes up with a list of "current conversations" and "current contacts" now which it didn't have before...I have no contacts or convo's going and no one has my pin so I won't get messages

does bberry messenger charge you if you have it set up and open? or does it only charge you when you send and received messages like a text? if it charges you to keep it open (with no convos or contacts) then I definitely want to close it...

Can I just go to settings-mobile network-data services and turn that off and that will disable everything data related but text messages, right?

Thanks!
    Last edited by awin423; 06-21-08 at 08:07 PM.
    06-21-08 07:30 PM
    You can disable messages through Options>Security>Firewall. Enable the firewall and block PIN.
    05-11-10 09:07 AM
    Been tryin to figure this out all day...thanks!
    06-21-10 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD