08-03-10 02:45 PM
54 123
tools
    Even though this works, I am afraid it will be a temporary fix, or one that will have to be repeated multiple times. In BB Desktop Software 6 (beta), the BBM is listed as "required". I did the deletion of BBM you described, and it worked fine. However, as soon as I did a sync of my BB with my computer (for Outlook, etc.), the BBM is listed as pending reinstallation. If I ever click "sync all", or need to install something else, BBM will be put right back on my device.
    Open the Java folder of your OS on the PC. For most it's C drive->Program Files->Common Files->Research in Motion->Shared->Loader Files->"your OS->Java. Make a new folder called removed, and cut the qm api, all the qm peer, and all the bb group files. Open the created folder, and paste them in there. Now DM won't find it no more.
    08-02-10 10:31 PM
    Open the Java folder of your OS on the PC. For most it's C drive->Program Files->Common Files->Research in Motion->Shared->Loader Files->"your OS->Java. Make a new folder called removed, and cut the qm api, all the qm peer, and all the bb group files. Open the created folder, and paste them in there. Now DM won't find it no more.
    No joy. I found these files in the ApplicationData folder/Roaming, but no change. I suspect the DM software is looking on the net for the files.

Anyway, if I am stuck with having BBM on my BB, is there any way to simply have it not automatically load when the BB is turned on? In Windows, you can remove the link from the Startup folder for some programs, or for others you select an option not to automatically start with Windows. Is there any setting like that to start BBM only if/when I wanted to use it?
    08-02-10 11:09 PM
    No joy. I found these files in the ApplicationData folder/Roaming, but no change. I suspect the DM software is looking on the net for the files.

Anyway, if I am stuck with having BBM on my BB, is there any way to simply have it not automatically load when the BB is turned on? In Windows, you can remove the link from the Startup folder for some programs, or for others you select an option not to automatically start with Windows. Is there any setting like that to start BBM only if/when I wanted to use it?
    There's no way to turn off BBM, but you can turn off the internet before using DM.
    08-03-10 05:17 AM
    I'll, I'll...
    . . .keep at it until we get it right!

Thank you for your help with this, Wulf! And especially for the crash course in BBM features. It's time to get down to some serious exploring so I can learn to play this new instrument.
    08-03-10 02:45 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD