08-03-10 02:45 PM
54 123
tools
    This is good! Now I just need to convince my friends and family to get blackberries. Evo seems to be where the lemmings are running to now.
    It seems to be that way for users that prefer a higher need in multimedia.
    The EVO and BlackBerry are both nice devices. The thing that as kept me with BlackBerry is BlackBerry Messenger of course. As well as AutoText, keypad shortcuts (especially with QuickLaunch), notifications (especially with BerryBuzz), push Email for all accounts (not just GMail), one handed operation, battery life, and how easily the BlackBerry comes out of standby mode when reading messages (taking device out of magnetic holster.
    Good luck trying to convince others.
    Especially if they have their mind made up on what they want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 07:04 AM
    All of this--for me--and Messenger filled with nothing but potential. I love the way that I can make my bb do what I want it to do. None of this being forced to live with whatever updates are available from bIG bROTHER. Personally, I could not abide such an existence. Do you know that the biggest objection I get from my iphone/evo friends is that their screen is big enough for them to see without glasses? How can I answer that? Shed your vanity and don the specs? You know you need them! (I love you anyway)
    08-02-10 07:14 AM
    All of this--for me--and Messenger filled with nothing but potential. I love the way that I can make my bb do what I want it to do. None of this being forced to live with whatever updates are available from bIG bROTHER. Personally, I could not abide such an existence. Do you know that the biggest objection I get from my iphone/evo friends is that their screen is big enough for them to see without glasses? How can I answer that? Shed your vanity and don the specs? You know you need them! (I love you anyway)
    If you adjust the Font on your BlackBerry to 14, you shouldn't have any issues not being able to see. Except for the browser. On my 9650, if I set it to 14, it's still rather small. Even though the other devices have more screen real estate, when I read I only read one line at a time. I may have to scroll more, but the reading pane is still the same (when reading actual sentences).

08-02-10 07:33 AM
    It seems to be that way for users that prefer a higher need in multimedia.
    Isn't it interesting how we are all so different?

If a friend wants to send me a newsworthy or persuasive item, I would so much prefer seeing the text over viewing a video or listening to an mp3. It is so much faster for me to skim written material than it is to sit around long enough to see/hear a thing at someone else's pace. Am i weird or what?
    08-02-10 07:56 AM
    Isn't it interesting how we are all so different?

If a friend wants to send me a newsworthy or persuasive item, I would so much prefer seeing the text over viewing a video or listening to an mp3. It is so much faster for me to skim written material than it is to sit around long enough to see/hear a thing at someone else's pace. Am i weird or what?
    I prefer text as well. I can skim and get to the good points faster. I've really gotten into RSS feeds lately. I can quickly read articles from all of my popular sites. It's a lot faster and efficient, than having to use a browser.

08-02-10 08:02 AM
    OK, my karma has caught up with me. I've downloaded bbm and installed, and now I can't find an icon to launch anywhere! I repent of my disbelief!!! what am i to do?
    08-02-10 08:14 AM
    OK, my karma has caught up with me. I've downloaded bbm and installed, and now I can't find an icon to launch anywhere! I repent of my disbelief!!! what am i to do?
    Since I'm on the mobile forum, I'm unable to see what phone and osure using. If you're using OS 5.0 it probably won't be in the Download Folder, it will be in the Instant Messaging Folder.

08-02-10 08:17 AM
    This seems to be my problem: I can't find an instant messaging folder anywhere.
    08-02-10 08:22 AM
    This seems to be my problem: I can't find an instant messaging folder anywhere.
    Check and see if the icon for BlackBerry Messenger, or the folder is hidden.

08-02-10 08:26 AM
    Well, yeah, I've been navigating everywhere I can think of with "Show All" checked. I installed the new OS with bbm included, I downloaded the newest bbm. what can be going wrong? Am i doomed, truly?
    08-02-10 08:32 AM
    Well, yeah, I've been navigating everywhere I can think of with "Show All" checked. I installed the new OS with bbm included, I downloaded the newest bbm. what can be going wrong? Am i doomed, truly?
    Check and see if the app is installed properly and working. Disable "Dial From Homescreen" and press the "N" key on your keypad. That should open BBM.
    08-02-10 08:37 AM
    Disable "Dial From Homescreen"
    Can you talk me through this?
    08-02-10 08:45 AM
    Can you talk me through this?
    Press the Green Call button > press the BlackBerry button to open the Menu > Options> General Options> Dial From Home Screen> No

This will disable the feature of being able to Dial phone numbers from your homescreen. If you need to dial a phone number using this feature, just simply press the green call button and proceed. It then allows you to use your keypad to quickly open apps or perform tasks. Such as:

Tasks = T
    Calculator = U
    Options = O
    Address Book = A
    Search = S
    Notes = D
    Help = H
    Calendar = L
    Messages = M
    Browser = B
    BlackBerry Messenger = N
    Saved messages = V
    Compose = C

Profiles = F
    Lock keypad = K

The last two may not work on certain devices and OS's
    08-02-10 08:55 AM
    No joy. Pressing N just asks me if I want to assign a speed dial.

08-02-10 09:15 AM
    No joy. Pressing N just asks me if I want to assign a speed dial.

If the Speed Dial option popped up, then you're holding the button down too long.
    If you press it down for at least a second or longer, you will get that pop up.
    You have to press it extremely quick, and quickly let go of the key.
    08-02-10 09:19 AM
    With a quick press, northing happens. I'll try downloading one more time, then one more battery pull, then I'm going to bed.
    08-02-10 09:29 AM
    This is the strangest thing. Nothing will bring that icon back! When I get home from work in the morning I'll try wiping and reloading the OS, being careful about how I restore apps. Not sure what else to do . . .
    08-02-10 04:21 PM
    This is the strangest thing. Nothing will bring that icon back! When I get home from work in the morning I'll try wiping and reloading the OS, being careful about how I restore apps. Not sure what else to do . . .
    I'm stumped too. Hope reloading the OS will put everything back in order.

08-02-10 04:56 PM
    Way over complicating this. Just hold the menu button, and BBM has to be in the app switcher menu if it's installed. There's absolutely no need to reinstall the OS for it. Are you possibly using a 3rd party theme, and just not recognizing the icon?
    08-02-10 05:57 PM
    See that's just the thing. It shows up in the applications list but not in the task switcher. For some reason it's not running. Just the stock zen theme and I've examined every icon and folder. Am I supposed to have a folder called Messaging or something like that? If I am, it's missing too.
    08-02-10 07:37 PM
    If it's in a folder, it would be instant messenger. Try installing this one:
    http://bbtweeps.com/files/ota/BBMV5....66/BBM66en.jad
    08-02-10 07:42 PM
    Same result. It installs "successfully" but won't start.
    08-02-10 07:51 PM
    Ok gosh darn! I want you to do a battery pull with the Onyx on, wait a minute, put the battery back in. Then go to Options->Advanced Options->Host Routing Table->menu key->Register Now->OK. Then go to the Setup folder->Personal Email Setup->log in->menu key->Service Books->Send Service Books. After the emails all come in, and you see your data transfering has halted, repeat the battery pull. That dang icon better show up, or I'll, I'll...
    08-02-10 07:58 PM
    Simply install this version here:
    BBM5.0.0.57 OTA
    And it will now be in Addon. Now you can delete it. Sad loss on your part though. It's one of my favorite apps.
    Even though this works, I am afraid it will be a temporary fix, or one that will have to be repeated multiple times. In BB Desktop Software 6 (beta), the BBM is listed as "required". I did the deletion of BBM you described, and it worked fine. However, as soon as I did a sync of my BB with my computer (for Outlook, etc.), the BBM is listed as pending reinstallation. If I ever click "sync all", or need to install something else, BBM will be put right back on my device.
    08-02-10 09:50 PM
    Ok gosh darn! I want you to do a battery pull with the Onyx on, wait a minute, put the battery back in. Then go to Options->Advanced Options->Host Routing Table->menu key->Register Now->OK. Then go to the Setup folder->Personal Email Setup->log in->menu key->Service Books->Send Service Books. After the emails all come in, and you see your data transfering has halted, repeat the battery pull. That dang icon better show up, or I'll, I'll...
    It's truly puzzling, everything worked about this procedure except for getting bbm back on. It's my fault, I know. Remember how bad I wanted it off of here?

Gotta get back into work for another 5hrs then play with it some more...

Thanks for hanging in there with me!
    08-02-10 10:30 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD