Blackberry Messenger 5.0 - Explanation of Recovery E-Mails and Switching to another device and using BBM 5.0 again

-Recovery E-Mail

What is Recovery E-Mail in BBM 5.0? Recovery E-Mail is pretty much used for storing your BBM 5.0 account in the Blackberry server. It stores your PIN information and backs up your contact list to the Blackberry server. To change your Recovery E-Mail, go to the menu and press Edit My Info. Scroll down to the bottom and it should list any e-mails you have set up on the device (make sure you have an e-mail set up first lol). You can change which one is the Recovery E-Mail if you would like to change it. I DO NOT recommend using a BES email address or corporate e-mail address. Use your own personal e-mail (Gmail, AOL, Yahoo!, etc) or your created Blackberry E-Mail address.

-Switching Blackberrys with BBM 5.0

Do you have BBM 5.0? Switching to a new device and want to keep using BBM 5.0 and update all of your contacts with your new PIN?

Follow this procedure carefully

**I have noticed with the new BBM 5.0, it does not present you with the option to Update all of your contacts about your new PIN like the old BBM. I dont know if this is because its the leaked version or not**

1. Do a Device Switch or Backup/Restore in Blackberry Desktop Manager
    2. Transfer all information to the new Blackberry
    3. Make sure you transfer your BIS Email Account to your new Blackberry (THIS IS IMPORTANT!!. Go to your carriers website or login through your Blackberry and go to Change Device and enter all the new information. Please verify that your E-Mail services and new Service Books have been pushed to your new Blackberry Device.
    4. Now go and install the new BBM 5.0 on your device (make sure you install the right one for your device and press YES to overwrite any modules when it asks you to. Pressing NO will result in your BBM being fd up)
    5. It will then ask you to REBOOT your device. Go ahead and do that and open up BBM 5.0
    6. Go to Edit My Info and scroll down. If your E-Mail addresses are listed then everything should be set up properly and your contacts should be updated with your new PIN.
    07-29-09 04:58 PM
    BBM 5.0 is screwing up again....I am going back to the old BBM
    08-04-09 01:40 PM
    I swiched from one Tour to a new one and it went on and on about my 'credentials' and i clicked through tons of stuff and finally when it was done, I restored my contact list (off my micro sd card ) and everythign is fine but I did go through all the steps you basically said on the list- basically in that order! lol
    08-18-09 07:17 PM
    incidentally, the new Tour doesn't have a squishy screen and the battery door is perfect- basically I have the perfect blackberry and am in blackberry bliss!
    08-18-09 07:21 PM
    I need help. I have my yahoo email linked to BBM but I want to set up my BIS email to it. I deactivated my yahoo email through BBM but it doesnt have an option to add my BIS email. Can anyone help me?
    10-16-09 11:18 AM