when I open the maps application I get this

now I called my service provider and they said they don't have the service enabled, so I'm guessing there is no way around this?

my other question would be is there another maps program that I can use as my default maps program so when somebody shares thier location on BBM that I can view it on that instead? I've downloaded Google maps but can't choose as the default map program in the Map Advanced options
    10-11-09 04:04 AM
    Do you have a bb data plan? If you are on at&t, you won't be able to use bb maps as they block the application.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 06:00 AM
    Do you have a bb data plan? If you are on at&t, you won't be able to use bb maps as they block the application.

I do have a data plan, but I guess My service provider ( I live in Saudi Arabia) also blocks the application. What I need is an alternative that works with BBM and can be my default Maps application.
    10-11-09 07:10 AM

Not quite true. I downloaded the BB Maps link from the mobile.blackberry.com and the maps now work again on my bold.
    10-11-09 07:26 AM
    Not quite true. I downloaded the BB Maps link from the mobile.blackberry.com and the maps now work again on my bold.
    Just tried downloading off the blackberry website and it says my device doesn't meet the requirements, it seems that Saudi Arabia that isn't covered with the Maps app and that's why its not working.

Now I need another application other than Google Maps
    10-11-09 07:54 AM
    I think that is true on at&t as long as you are not using the "default" at&t theme.

10-11-09 08:04 AM
    I think that is true on at&t as long as you are not using the "default" at&t theme.

can you give an example of a theme that will show bb maps? I have tried three and none of them do. Still looking...
    10-11-09 01:19 PM
    If i attempt to view my location in 5.0- bbm i can not see it but if i send it my buddy can see where i was. I use google maps. Do i need bb maps? and is it free?
    10-11-09 02:39 PM
    MyU is the theme that I'm using that shows it. I did have to download one thing from blackberry.com.

10-11-09 03:28 PM
    i have to wonder if people saying they have bb maps running on at&t at this point are full of it. i've tried to on 4 bolds now. it simply won't go, despite themes. even loading the cod's manually.
    10-11-09 05:34 PM
    Up until switching over to BB 5, I had BlackBerry maps running - in fact, if you go to "mobile.blackberry.com" one of the choices is to download Blackberry Maps directly.

Won't download to a BB running OS 5 though as 5 is still an unreleased OS.
    10-11-09 05:55 PM
    Up until switching over to BB 5, I had BlackBerry maps running - in fact, if you go to "mobile.blackberry.com" one of the choices is to download Blackberry Maps directly.

Won't download to a BB running OS 5 though as 5 is still an unreleased OS.
    I wonder -- is it because your device is unlocked that you can run bb maps?

edit: after a few server time outs, I was able to load bb maps from mobile.blackberry.com and it's working great. I am using new theme that has an icon. I wanted bb maps because my Signal-Location Utilities app needs bb maps to plot all my saved cell towers' locations on a map. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Pema108; 10-11-09 at 07:16 PM.
    10-11-09 07:06 PM
    i have to wonder if people saying they have bb maps running on at&t at this point are full of it. i've tried to on 4 bolds now. it simply won't go, despite themes. even loading the cod's manually.
    I am running 4.6.0.297 on an AT&T Bold and I swear to you I have done no mods or fixes to have Blackberry Maps running. I used it last night. I even have Quickpull on auto schedule so I have battery pulls daily. My theme is Precision Silver, one of the themes that was provided. The icon clearly shows up with no issues.
    10-12-09 08:35 AM
    This is a theme issue. The blackberry maps -NA will be the default map, and you have the maps app. There is simply no icon for it. Two work arounds I have found:

1. Buy Quicklaunch, it has an option to open the bb maps app.

2. Use Poynt, and tell it to map out the location. This is free, but more cumbersome.

Hope that helps.

Also, I don't like the precision silver theme, as the icons are not colorful, and thats not cool, but using that theme should reveal the icon as well, as pointed out above.
    10-12-09 09:03 AM
    This is a theme issue. The blackberry maps -NA will be the default map, and you have the maps app. There is simply no icon for it. Two work arounds I have found:

1. Buy Quicklaunch, it has an option to open the bb maps app.

2. Use Poynt, and tell it to map out the location. This is free, but more cumbersome.

Hope that helps.

Also, I don't like the precision silver theme, as the icons are not colorful, and thats not cool, but using that theme should reveal the icon as well, as pointed out above.
    It's not a theme issue, as it does not appear for everyone who changes themes. (There are about a hundred threads on this forum Also, when I run QL I get an error that BB Maps has been disabled. My Bold is unlocked and I have had no success using a dozen different 'fixes' to the problem.

I will try downloading again, but I am not very confident that suddenly this issue has gone away...

I can open maps from World Mate Live but that is about 5 too many steps to be useful.
    10-12-09 10:06 AM
    It's not a theme issue, as it does not appear for everyone who changes themes. (There are about a hundred threads on this forum Also, when I run QL I get an error that BB Maps has been disabled. My Bold is unlocked and I have had no success using a dozen different 'fixes' to the problem.

I will try downloading again, but I am not very confident that suddenly this issue has gone away...

I can open maps from World Mate Live but that is about 5 too many steps to be useful.
    You're right that it is not a theme issue as I just changed to the Ed Hardy II and my maps still works. Again, simply download from mobile.blackberry.com and enjoy.

10-12-09 10:34 AM
    Wow...

I downloaded from the BB mobile page and lo and behold the icon has reappeared?!?

So what have we done to deserve this blessing from ATT?
    10-12-09 11:16 AM
    Manna from the heavens.
    10-12-09 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD