I have a 8320, and found out that it's possible to use the internet, bbm, IM, etc with the BlackBerry Voice Plan that was a grandfather feature.
    I also found out that I have that on my phone, but I still can't access the web. I spoke with a BB rep and he said it only allows phones that came out after January 08 to send MMS. But that's not true because I spoke with people who have 8320, 8900 who use the internet and all that good stuff with the Voice Plan.
    Why can't I access the web? My "edge" is in capital letters as opposed to lowercase.

Any help is appreciated. I am very frustrated because I spoke with many different BB reps/Customer Service people and keep getting contradictory points about this plan. (Some regular Customer Service people play dumb with me and tell me a "Voice Plan" is a plan for minutes, while the BB dept acknowledge the fact that it was a plan for older BBs to access the web. Ugh.
    10-13-09 02:30 PM
    Is your APN set to epc.tmobile.com ?

Default browser set to "internet browser"?
    10-13-09 03:00 PM
    Is your APN set to epc.tmobile.com ?

Default browser set to "internet browser"?
    Just set my APN to that.
    And my browser is set to "Hotspot browser"
    It still doesn't work.

This is the reply I got on another forum:

You hit the nail right on the head. when you said Grandfathered Plan. you have to of had the T-Zones or what they called the "blackberry enabler" for a LONG time. to use the WAP/BBM/AIM/Y!/Google Talk on your BB. After June 2, 2009 you have to have a BIS plan (for blackberries) or the the matching Internet plan for the WinMo Phones and Android Phone. I am actually grandfathered into the old BIS unlimited plan for 20.00$, which gives me everything of the 25.00 plan. And if would of had a BB longer than that i could of gotten all of the stuff for like 5.99$ per month.

Make a Long story short with all of the new fire walls in place i wouldn't plan on getting any internet or IM service untill you decide to spend the $$ for the BIS package. and the reason you cannot access the web even with EDGE is simple .... T-Mobile's firewalls are killing your signal,since you do not have a BIS plan.
    10-13-09 06:40 PM
    Did you set your default browser to "Internet Browser" yet? That browser goes through the BB infrastructure; HotSpot Browser bypasses BB infrastructure and goes directly to the site over WiFi. From how you've described the BB Voice plan, it sounds like it IS a BIS package.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 08:46 AM
    Did you set your default browser to "Internet Browser" yet? That browser goes through the BB infrastructure; HotSpot Browser bypasses BB infrastructure and goes directly to the site over WiFi. From how you've described the BB Voice plan, it sounds like it IS a BIS package.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I don't have the option of choosing "Internet Browser". I only have "HotSpot Browser" and "TZones". So I'm assuming it won't work then?
    That's weird because I have a friend who has this Voice Plan (and was told by a BB rep that she needed it) which allows her to use BBM, etc. And she has an 8900.
    10-15-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD