What does the Holster do?

1)If you set the 'ringer' to ring and vibrate always, it should still ring and vibrate in the holster.

2) I have found that the Lcd backlight is NEVER on while in the holster. Is that the secret of the amazing battery life of the BB in a holster?

3) IF I am running google maps while walking and i put the bb in the holster, does the GPS turn off? Meaning, if i get to a junction, and i pull out my bb, will my position be accurate or do i need to wait a few seconds for the signal again? [i might try that out later].

4) Why is the battery life amazing inside the bb holster? does it like ping the cell network station less, or reduce the radio output power?

5) Does Wifi turn off when the bb is holstered?
    If it is, can i still receive calls over UMA while the phone is holstered?

Thanks guys
    02-26-10 06:10 AM
    1)If you set the 'ringer' to ring and vibrate always, it should still ring and vibrate in the holster. - Yes, that is correct.

2) I have found that the Lcd backlight is NEVER on while in the holster. Is that the secret of the amazing battery life of the BB in a holster? - All BlackBerrys have a "sleeper" magnetic sensor. The OEM holster and many 3rd-party holsters and cases have a magnet that triggers this sensor and puts the BlackBerry into Suspend mode. This powers down the screen and all but critical functions to greatly reduce power consumption while the device is not being actively used. Yes, this is the secret to great battery life using a holster.

3) IF I am running google maps while walking and i put the bb in the holster, does the GPS turn off? Meaning, if i get to a junction, and i pull out my bb, will my position be accurate or do i need to wait a few seconds for the signal again? [i might try that out later]. - I think that Google Maps will update your position as soon as you unholster your BB. I have not checked to see how it updates while holstered, though. Regardless, it should not take very long to update if you are outside.

4) Why is the battery life amazing inside the bb holster? does it like ping the cell network station less, or reduce the radio output power? - See #1. I don't know exactly how radio behaviors are affected by Suspend mode, but since the radio is the most critical function on a BlackBerry, I would guess it's power output is not reduced, but only used when absolutely necessary.

5) Does Wifi turn off when the bb is holstered?
    If it is, can i still receive calls over UMA while the phone is holstered? - No, WiFi is not turned off while holstered. All critical BB functions should continue to function while holstered, especially receiving calls. I don't have UMA, but I would assume that you would still receive calls via UMA while holstered. Maybe someone on T-Mobile can confirm this.

Suffice to say, holsters are good. They protect your BB and increase your battery life. Style and use are personal preferences, but even most simple pocket pouches have the sleeper magnet. Make sure it is listed as a feature before buying, however, because many don't have it.
    02-26-10 08:40 AM
    Thanks for the info
    02-26-10 06:09 PM
    If you skin your phone you can still use a hyberpad to get the benefits as described by rrrebo.

Google "hyberpad" for more info
    12-19-10 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD