Hi guys,

First post on here. I guess this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a solution.

When I receive an email and I read it on my BlackBerry, my email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) picks up that the email has been read and marks it as such in my mailbox on my computer. However, when I read an email on my computer, my BlackBerry fails to realise this and I have to go to the effort of opening the email again on my BlackBerry. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks
    11-02-09 02:21 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem. Unfortunately, it seems as though this cant be done without a BES, and so is unavailable via BIS (which is what I, and by the sounds of it you, have). If you go to google and search for

KB05133

The top hit is a forum post that links to an official looking set of tables that say that the only way to sync read/unread status from desktop to BB is with a Yahoo account.

The other solution I may have found (and I take no responsibility if this doesn't work!) is a website called astrasync, which sell a syncing package for $49 a year.

If you find a different solution, I'd love to hear it though!
    11-03-09 05:26 AM
    The reason is (using BIS) your BB and computer are only linked via the e-mail server. When you pick up the e-mail on your BB, your e-mail server tags the file. This tag is going over to your computer. So, if you get the e-mail on your BB and don't read it, it will still show as read on your computer (just means it was transferred to your BB, not actually read).

The Blackberry doesn't use tags, and it doesn't know what has made it to your computer, or what you ahve read.

It really isn't syncing "opened" emails on either end.
    11-03-09 07:53 AM
    +1 to what Xopher said....
    Good, clear explanation.... I was wondering why that was when I went from BES to BIS.....
    11-03-09 07:55 AM
    I also use Thunderbird on my home computer for email and get my email on my Storm. I read through, reply to emails and weed out stuff I don't want on my BB so that when I go to download emails to Thunderbird only the ones I want to save or for whatever reason couldn't reply from my BB are there to be downloaded. In Thunderbird I have it set to delete messages from the server once they are downloaded to Thunderbird. That way if I happened to get email while I'm in Thunderbird I don't get them again on my BB. I don't know if that is at all helpful.

As for marking them read in Thunderbird once you've read them on your BB, mine never does that. They are always new in TB.
    11-03-09 08:05 AM
    I have the same concern, here. I am a new blackberry user, and am very happy with my new storm2. But I am coming from a Treo 755 (Palm operating system), and I can't believe that the treo with chatteremail actually handled my imap accounts better than the blackberry. If I read it on my computer, it was marked as such on my handheld. If I moved it, it moved. Not so with my blackberry. I feel like I am doing everything twice.

Also, on my treo, I set up an e-mail "account" for all my flagged e-mails, so that I always had them with me, if needed. Can't do that with the blackberry.

Is there an e-mail program that actually handles IMAP e-mail as it should be handled?

Thanks, in advance.

Craig
    11-03-09 01:53 PM
    I have the same concern, here. I am a new blackberry user, and am very happy with my new storm2. But I am coming from a Treo 755 (Palm operating system), and I can't believe that the treo with chatteremail actually handled my imap accounts better than the blackberry. If I read it on my computer, it was marked as such on my handheld. If I moved it, it moved. Not so with my blackberry. I feel like I am doing everything twice.

Also, on my treo, I set up an e-mail "account" for all my flagged e-mails, so that I always had them with me, if needed. Can't do that with the blackberry.

Is there an e-mail program that actually handles IMAP e-mail as it should be handled?

Thanks, in advance.

Craig

I miss this so much from my wm device.....
    11-03-09 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD