Hi

I am an iPhone user but however my wife hates iPhone, She prefers a blackberry.

I went to the O2 Shop to order a blackberry with Simplicity sim card which is 7.50 a month unlimited text with no mins/internet but however the man in the shop said she wouldn't be able to use BBM with that sim card ( Simplicity ).

Then the man said that she has to use the blackberry sim card which only gives " 300 texts " with a 15 a month... with BBM... My wife is a text frantic, She need the unlimited text, Internet don't matter just only " texts ".

So my question is, If she gets the Blackberry ( 9360 ), Would she be able to use BBM maybe from somewhere like " Cydia on iPhone " ? Does the phone have to be rooted or something? ( Sorry if I'm not allowed to talk about this, Mods you can edit if requried. Thanks ).
    11-01-11 07:27 AM
    Can you just use a multiplatform IM like PingChat?
    11-01-11 07:38 AM
    Can you just use a multiplatform IM like PingChat?
    Would rather use BBM messenger cos my wife friend has a couple of friends on BBM.
    Any suggestion anybody?
    11-01-11 10:08 AM
    Unfortunately to use BBM you need a blackberry specific data plan(BIS).

To answer your other question, there is no way to "root" or "jailbreak" a blackberry. So no there is no other way around it.
    11-01-11 10:23 AM
    On O2 there is a "bolt-on" for blackberry services that costs 5.

I'm nto sure about PAYG or Simplicity, but I gave my friend my old 9700...so she called O2 to find out how to get the blackberry services working as she was on a 15 a month contract. She has had to take out a new contract and pay an extra 5 for the proper use of the blackberry.

Your wife would probably be best calling O2 customer support who wont be on a Sales target and ask them what the best and cheapest way to get the blackberry working.

Just checked the O2 website and they have the "Txt & Web for BlackBerry - Pay & Go" option:

Text and Web for BlackBerry - Pay & Go

Key benefits
    Top up 15-29 and get 500 UK texts, 500MB UK data plus BlackBerry email & unlimited Wi-Fi
    Top up 30+ and get unlimited UK texts, 500MB UK data plus BlackBerry email & unlimited Wi-Fi
    Terms
    Free allowance is based on the amount that you top-up in the previous month.

Hope this helps!
    11-01-11 12:08 PM
    On O2 there is a "bolt-on" for blackberry services that costs 5.

I'm nto sure about PAYG or Simplicity, but I gave my friend my old 9700...so she called O2 to find out how to get the blackberry services working as she was on a 15 a month contract. She has had to take out a new contract and pay an extra 5 for the proper use of the blackberry.

Your wife would probably be best calling O2 customer support who wont be on a Sales target and ask them what the best and cheapest way to get the blackberry working.

Just checked the O2 website and they have the "Txt & Web for BlackBerry - Pay & Go" option:

Text and Web for BlackBerry - Pay & Go

Key benefits
    Top up 15-29 and get 500 UK texts, 500MB UK data plus BlackBerry email & unlimited Wi-Fi
    Top up 30+ and get unlimited UK texts, 500MB UK data plus BlackBerry email & unlimited Wi-Fi
    Terms
    Free allowance is based on the amount that you top-up in the previous month.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers mate, Thanks for your help.

Thanks everybody for your help...
    11-01-11 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD