I have a BIS connected BB. I have a personal private and public certificate. I cannot sign or encrypt mails or decrypt or verify signatures on my BB.

I have no possibility of deploying my own BES server, or a server with Djizgo or other server/client solutions.

It's 2012, and the functionality is built in from 2008 on, just not enabled if on BIS. Or am I getting it wrong? The certificates that the BB can load aren't there for data encryption/authentication?

Will it be sometime soon that the functionality will be accessible also to BIS users?

A simple search gives me this Secure-Mail - S/MIME mails on iOS - iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch for ios (for 4$), and this X509Tools for Android | AppBrain.com for android (for free). Are there any developers that would prepare something similar for the BB OS?

Being BB the "most secure mobile platform", could they make it also for us, poor BIS users?
    02-11-12 10:13 AM
    Check out Djigzo for BlackBerry - Djigzo Open Source Email Encryption - BlackBerry Email Encryption, that might help you out. Failing that, have you tried importing your certificate into the BB so that it's available for you to use? At the moment I think the easiest way to do that would be to send yourself a signed email and then open the email on your BB and then save the certificate to your BB. Your BB should ask you for a new password to store the certificate and then it'll be available to use when you send an email on your BB.
    02-11-12 12:24 PM
    I repeat: I cannot setup a whole server and keep it running 24/7 for the sole purpose of getting my signed or encrypted mail on my phone as I am getting it through thunderbird on my pc without any fancy setup. Djigzo needs to run on the mail server if I want its client to decrypt anything on the blackberry.

The BB on BIS won't understand what's in the attachment of a signed mail, thus it won't store the public certificate in its keyring nor it will sign or encrypt anything, if it has the certificate already on board (through the import procedure while connected with the desktop).

You can see the right certificates in the certificate collection, but you won't have the "encryption" pull-down menu while composing your mail. It will work though if you're sending a pin to pin message, but that's really not the case here.

Come on: how can I trust the signed emails the bank sends to me? Why is this functionality not enabled on BIS? Is BIS really only good for Facebook and Twitter?
    02-11-12 01:09 PM