01-29-11 05:07 PM
27 12
tools
    Can someone explain to me why emails sent to my gmail account are almost instantaneously received on my BB, but comcast could be up to 15 minutes after?

I am hoping for a technical explanation or solution. Can I call At&t and ask for the frequency of checking my comcast account to be increased? I don't want to switch my primary email from comcast at this point, so that really isn't an option.

It just doesn't feel like "push email" with comcast. Shouldn't BIS be provider agnostic?

Thanks
    01-27-09 12:06 PM
    I had the same problem with my comcast email. So I opened up a Gmail account and it's never failed me.
    01-27-09 12:14 PM
    I know that's why I mentioned gmail in the OP. I don't want to change my email over to gmail at this point. At&t must be able to fix this. Does anyone have some inside knowledge of how a BIS server checks for emails?
    01-27-09 12:18 PM
    Its not ATT - Its Comcast, Gmail and Yahoo both have Push email set up with Rim/Blackberry so all mail thru these two main email providers are pushed...

Comcast and other ISP's do not have Push available thru blackberry so you Blackberry must Pull the data and it's only going to pull ever 15-20mins...Nothing you can do about this, its up to Comcast to put Push email inplace with Blackberry.

You really would be better off using Gmail or Yahoo.
    01-28-09 04:52 PM
    While I understand what you are saying the empirical data doesn't back it up. Sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes for email from comcast to reach my BB other times it is 2 minutes. Before you say it depends on how close to the 15-20 polling interval the email arrives, it also happens 2 minutes after receiving an email. If what your saying is true, wouldn't it be another 15-20 minutes for that next email to arrive on my BB?
    01-28-09 04:56 PM
    Gmails email is 2-3 seconds. I highly recommend a gmail account.
    01-28-09 05:01 PM
    Humor me. I don't want to change at this point.
    01-28-09 05:23 PM
    Humor me. I don't want to change at this point.
    Then if you fine with getting your emails every 15-20 mins then that's fine. Nothings gonna change.
    01-28-09 05:30 PM
    Ok...obviously you don't read the posts. It is not as simple as 15 minute delay because it isn't always the same. Feel free to let someone that knows how a BIS server is setup at at&t to respond.
    01-28-09 06:15 PM
    Ok...obviously you don't read the posts. It is not as simple as 15 minute delay because it isn't always the same. Feel free to let someone that knows how a BIS server is setup at at&t to respond.

All I'm trying to say is from personal experience I called comcast/sprint and there was nothing they could do about. All Sprint told me was to resend my service books and nothing changed after 5 times! I even had a Aol account and had the same problem. So after talking to about 10-15 BB users and all but 2 had a gmail account. Do I need to say more?
    01-28-09 07:42 PM
    If comcast supports auto forwarding that's another option.
    01-28-09 08:08 PM
    A little off topic, but my yahoo email has been coming in slow the last few days. The 2 way sync is slow too. I did the normal trouble shooting (soft reset, host routing table and re-send service books). Any ideas?
    01-28-09 08:21 PM
    RIM polls your Comcast account every 15 minutes, so if you are sent an email 2 minutes before your Comcast account is polled you get the email pushed to your Blackberry 2 minutes later. If you are sent an email 1 minute after your account is polled you are pushed the email 14 minutes later. Empirical data no, fact. I know that sucks, but gmail is really your best option.
    01-28-09 09:41 PM
    Ok I get what you are saying, but I can get an email then another email 2 minutes later, so the 15 minute polling doesn't seem to make sense. If it did I wouldn't ask. I guess the best solution to not change my email address is to forward to my att.bb address. Now to figure out how to change the settings so it looks like it is responding from my comcast address.
    01-28-09 09:50 PM
    Also with Gmail you can set it up as an Imap.....So how you direct the mail on the blackberry will effect your gmail inbox on the PC....

If you read and replay on your Blackberry it will mark it as the same on you desktop..Something else you dont get from you ISP email service.
    01-29-09 11:41 AM
    A POP email server will search for new messages every 15 minutes. Once it finds a new message it starts the rotation over at a 3 minutes interval, and will continue to do so until it finds no new mail. At this point it will revert to a 15 minute poll cycle. Hope this answers your question fully.
    01-29-09 04:11 PM
    JGibson7 - this does answer my question. Thank you. That information is consistent with my empirical data. Thanks...now to forward my comcast mail to my blackberry address and remove my comcast address from my bb without losing my calendar appts and contacts.
    01-29-09 04:15 PM
    I have been on the phone with verizon for about a total of 3 hours to why I am not getting emails from my comcast.net. or when I do 30 mins have passed (with first time blackberry) first they claim it was a blackberry outage, now they claim it is a server conflict between blackberry and comcast. I was told today that it is being fixed and it should be resolved in 1-2 days.
    02-16-09 03:01 PM
    If you log into comcast and go to your email settings you are able to have your email pushed to another address. Have you tried forwarding your emails to your blackberry address? If you do that then you should get your emails a lot faster than normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 11:02 PM
    In all reality, it is push and doesn't have to be instantaneously pushed. It can take up to 15 minutes on BIS for email to be pushed. BES is instant.
    03-09-09 09:30 AM
    I have a question about Comcast provider. I get email OK, but do not have email addresses. Is this a problem with Comcast? Is there any way I can get the email addresses from Comcast account to my BB? In the BB, I do have phone numbers from Verzion account.
    06-08-09 01:47 PM
    I have a question about Comcast provider. I get email OK, but do not have email addresses. Is this a problem with Comcast? Is there any way I can get the email addresses from Comcast account to my BB? In the BB, I do have phone numbers from Verzion account.
    Are you referring to your "contact" list from your comcast email acct?
    I believe you will need to add these manually, or I beileve there is a way to Sync Outlook with your blackerry. You should do a search..I've never done this myself.
    But simply adding the email acct will not sync contacts on BIS.
    06-08-09 02:32 PM
    Is this thread still relevant for comcast and BB users?

My wife has a new torch and seems to take up to 15 min to get emails from comcast. In contrast, my gmail emails are instant on my iPhone.

We are new to BB devices so i might be missing an option that would speed up delivery. It seems odd to me that the issue described in this thread would not be resolved after 18 months... however, it seems to apply in my case with this new Torch (9800).

Is there any way for me to get comcast emails instantly (like gmail) on this Torch?
    01-29-11 04:28 PM
    Unfortunately...yes. No change. Gmail is instant and comcast can be anywhere from 3 minutes (on the rare occasion) to up to 30 minutes. See JGibson's post above.
    01-29-11 04:39 PM
    wow! so are there any work arounds at all?

it seems comcast has changed their email options and they seems to be unavailable via their web interface and only accessible through your desktop email client... ???
    01-29-11 04:42 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD