05-05-11 05:16 PM
59 123
tools
    Does anyone actually use Bing? Other than people who never changed their IE homepage from msn.com?

There better be an option to change this...at the OS level doesn't sound good.
    The bing app on app world is nice! I just downloaded it and actually like it better than google. has more features and its gps works better to.
    grover5 likes this.
    05-03-11 04:29 PM
    I'm out of BB now. I was seriously thinking of getting a new RIM product but this isn't worth it. I'm tired of it now with Verizon anyway for search.
    05-03-11 05:05 PM
    Also, in the [...] UK, [...] Bing is on par with Google.
    It absolutely isn't. It's not even close.
    05-03-11 05:25 PM
    LOL if it were the greatest phone in the world and had android or ios on it but bing for search I'm sure you would all move to RIM if they had google right?
    05-03-11 05:30 PM
    LOL if it were the greatest phone in the world and had android or ios on it but bing for search I'm sure you would all move to RIM if they had google right?
    Can we skip the theoretical silliness? Bing isn't going to Android, thank god. 'nuff said on that subject.
    05-03-11 06:03 PM
    OK dave I'll quit being silly if you quit ranting on that storm of yours!
    05-03-11 06:05 PM
    Can we skip the theoretical silliness? Bing isn't going to Android, thank god. 'nuff said on that subject.
    not true, BING actually has been put on some phones. I think the LG revolution has been binged
    05-03-11 07:40 PM
    You is kidding yourself if you think anything is safe for all manufacturers/carriers on any platform... They get paid a ton of $ to put bing on the phones...
    05-03-11 07:42 PM
    My take on RIM's new cross-platform strategy: Investing Blog: RIM's new cross-platform strategy

Agree or do you think it's coincidence?
    05-03-11 07:43 PM
    not true, BING actually has been put on some phones. I think the LG revolution has been binged
    oh, yeah, I forgot. Bummer, as it has Netflix.

However, Bing won't replace Google across the Android line.
    05-03-11 10:03 PM
    OK dave I'll quit being silly if you quit ranting on that storm of yours!
    Tell Samsung to release the SGS II tomorrow and I assure you that you'll never hear me even MENTION the S2, much less complain about it. It will be gathering dust bunnies the moment I get an Android. I'll manage to live without BBM in order to leave all the unpleasantness of my S2 behind.
    05-03-11 10:06 PM
    Google mobile is a severely dumbed down, lacking, frustrating and limited experience on BB currently...

If Bing has the potential to offer near desktop capabilities on BB devices then it's welcomed...

Bing and Google currently offer near par search results...
    grover5 likes this.
    05-03-11 10:28 PM
    Google mobile is a severely dumbed down, lacking, frustrating and limited experience on BB currently...

If Bing has the potential to offer near desktop capabilities on BB devices then it's welcomed...

Not on my computers, they don't.
    05-04-11 12:03 AM
    Google offers nothing over Bing at this point. I don't use google anymore...oddly enough I still find what I seek.
    05-04-11 12:14 AM
    Google offers nothing over Bing at this point. I don't use google anymore...oddly enough I still find what I seek.
    I should correct myself...google works much harder to end net neutrality...they have microsoft beat on that count.
    05-04-11 12:16 AM
    The bing app on app world is nice! I just downloaded it and actually like it better than google. has more features and its gps works better to.
    Agreed... The bing app is pretty good. I'm going to try it out for a while and see how it stacks up agaisnt gmaps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-11 03:05 AM
    1. Default meand just that, default not the only search engine available

2. Google services for blackberry have been stagnating for a few years now, I haven't noticed any progress, if Bing can bring more, possibly OVI maps then let them.

05-04-11 06:38 AM
    Kevin and team need to post some video of the bing integration that was demod. I agree with most that this isn't good. But it really depends on the integration and how it works. If you can still choose other options then it is a non factor.

05-04-11 07:09 AM
    OVI maps are some of the best around, as long as we get these, and not the earlier bing ones, I would be very happy.

Its just how far this integration goes is what is worrying me.
    05-04-11 08:50 AM
    i think and hope you can just use google
    i really really think it'll be optional
    As long as there is an option to change it, I don't care.

As long as I have the option to change it to Google then OK. I won't use BING.
    On my S2, there is no option to change it. Bing is the search provider and I rarely if ever use it. I did download a Google app even though I hate Google, but not nearly as much as Bing. Dogpile is the search engine I use but they don't offer a mobile version. Search the forums or go to the Verizon forum and you'll see there isn't a way to change it.

RIM did this for money. Plain and simple. Putting Google in all the phones would have been expensive. Bing isn't as popular and they were able to get it cheaper.

Not hardly. Google offers a full page of results for one where as Bing only offers 2 on the mobile version unless you click the link for more. I may not find what I want in the first 2 links and it's a PITA to have to wade through a bunch of other useless junk. That's just one of my gripes with Bing.
    05-04-11 09:32 AM
    (sigh) after 15 years of Blackberry and 3 years of Curve I've been mulling what phone to go to next. This announcement seals it for me, I'll be getting the Samsung Infuse (Android). I'm not really looking forward to training my fingertips to type on glass, but it's better thana getting sucked down the binghole. It's not that I don't know how to type Google's URL. It's that I've lived through prior waves of Microsoft integration strategies, and what they all have in common is that they are like stepping onto an escallator. You use something sort-of useful, and it needs something else which needs another thing and soon all this bloatware is filling up your memory, complaining about versions and updates and quirks in the setups. I want my phone to be available for me to use, not to be showing me rotating hourglasses while the bits of microsoft software groom each other endlessly.

So long, Blackberry. You were the gretest.
    05-04-11 09:35 AM
    On my S2, there is no option to change it. Bing is the search provider and I rarely if ever use it. I did download a Google app even though I hate Google, but not nearly as much as Bing. Dogpile is the search engine I use but they don't offer a mobile version. Search the forums or go to the Verizon forum and you'll see there isn't a way to change it.

RIM did this for money. Plain and simple. Putting Google in all the phones would have been expensive. Bing isn't as popular and they were able to get it cheaper.

Not hardly. Google offers a full page of results for one where as Bing only offers 2 on the mobile version unless you click the link for more. I may not find what I want in the first 2 links and it's a PITA to have to wade through a bunch of other useless junk. That's just one of my gripes with Bing.
    (sigh) after 15 years of Blackberry and 3 years of Curve I've been mulling what phone to go to next. This announcement seals it for me, I'll be getting the Samsung Infuse (Android). I'm not really looking forward to training my fingertips to type on glass, but it's better thana getting sucked down the binghole. It's not that I don't know how to type Google's URL. It's that I've lived through prior waves of Microsoft integration strategies, and what they all have in common is that they are like stepping onto an escallator. You use something sort-of useful, and it needs something else which needs another thing and soon all this bloatware is filling up your memory, complaining about versions and updates and quirks in the setups. I want my phone to be available for me to use, not to be showing me rotating hourglasses while the bits of microsoft software groom each other endlessly.

So long, Blackberry. You were the gretest.
    it probably will be optional, at least for browser default search

look at the post by mchruss03 in this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/ri...58/index3.html

so stop overreacting T_T
    05-04-11 09:56 AM
    it probably will be optional, at least for browser default search

look at the post by mchruss03 in this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f235/ri...58/index3.html

so stop overreacting T_T
    Verizon users were not given an option. One minute we had choices then we were stuck with Bing and there is no way to change it unless you did what I did and download the Google app.

Overreacting would be saying I'm throwing my S2 away and going Droid or doing like Duard_F said, so they don't have to use Bing. I simply stated facts. I hate Bing and don't use it and got around it by downloading the Google app. There are ways around it, but as for swapping it to Google or MSN, there isn't an option for me to change it on my S2 and every other Verizon BB user says the same thing.

And men say women exaggerate. =X
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 05-04-11 at 02:29 PM.
    05-04-11 02:26 PM
    Verizon users were not given an option. One minute we had choices then we were stuck with Bing and there is no way to change it unless you did what I did and download the Google app.

Overreacting would be saying I'm throwing my S2 away and going Droid or doing like Duard_F said, so they don't have to use Bing. I simply stated facts. I hate Bing and don't use it and got around it by downloading the Google app. There are ways around it, but as for swapping it to Google or MSN, there isn't an option for me to change it on my S2 and every other Verizon BB user says the same thing.

And men say women exaggerate. =X
    Can you not just set your homepage to google? What's the big deal?

05-04-11 03:17 PM
    Can you not just set your homepage to google? What's the big deal?

You are missing the issue. My browser opens to the "go to" screen. On that screen, I can only use Bing search. not everyone wants to have the browser go explicitly to a "home" screen. Also, with tight OS integration of Bing into BBOS, I'm going to PRESUME that search is going to be STUCK on Bing for all BB menu "search" features that are added for (ahem) "convenience". IMO, Bing blows chunks.
    05-04-11 03:38 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD