07-01-11 02:11 AM
121 ... 345
tools
    Maybe, but I'm not sure more processor speed would help with spotty connections caused by an overloaded network.
    I find my 9700 to be very good at maintaining a connection when going back and forth between 2G, 3G and WIFI, even when connection completely drops briefly(in an elevator) and continues to load a page for example or restarts an interrupted download.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 10:20 AM
    I find my 9700 to be very good at maintaining a connection when going back and forth between 2G, 3G and WIFI, even when connection completely drops briefly(in an elevator) and continues to load a page for example or restarts an interrupted download.

Sorry if I was a little misleading in my statement. I was referring to the numerous comments and complaints regarding AT&T here in the US. I'm sure other GSM carriers provide very good service.
    06-21-11 10:32 AM
    Sorry if I was a little misleading in my statement. I was referring to the numerous comments and complaints regarding AT&T here in the US. I'm sure other GSM carriers provide very good service.
    Nah, I would say everywhere's the same. Depends a lot on the terrain around you, flat is good for signal, up and down hills not so good.

06-21-11 10:35 AM
    One of my favorite things is how any site not constantly pro-RIM is no crap and puts out articles not to be listened to that are just anti-RIM. BGR is not a bad site, and I see a lot of good articles on it. They also do quote people, who may not share your opinion. I think most of you slam any site not pro-RIM and discredit them quickly. Defensive much?
    How would anti-Apple information be handled on a Apple fan boy site? Its not rocket science here. You come to a RIM fan site and wonder why people vehemently defend RIM? Seriously?
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-21-11 11:13 AM
    How would anti-Apple information be handled on a Apple fan boy site? Its not rocket science here. You come to a RIM fan site and wonder why people vehemently defend RIM? Seriously?
    I thought "RIM fans" were supposed to be better behaved than "Apple fan boys."
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-21-11 11:23 AM
    Actually, on the Apple fan boy sites this thread probably would have been deleted.
    06-21-11 11:31 AM
    Actually, on the Apple fan boy sites this thread probably would have been deleted.
    On the contrary, the only difference between the various "fan/fan boy" sites is the corporation with whom they align themselves. On the other hand, the behaviors are remarkably consistent.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-21-11 11:39 AM
    On the contrary, the only difference between the various "fan/fan boy" sites is the corporation with whom they align themselves. On the other hand, the behaviors are remarkably consistent.
    If that's what you want to think, that's fine.
    06-21-11 11:50 AM
    Well, it may well be that RIM is applying pressure to the carriers, and I don't blame them. If my Storm 1 experience is anything to go by, consumers are being heldf to ransom by the carriers, whose interest isn't the phone manufacturers, but themselves.

So RIM release a flawed Storm 1. All too late they realise their mistakes and try to rectify them. Unofficial OS updates get leaked. Meanwhile the carrier is too busy "approving" the latest slew of phones from other manufacturers to be too concerned about the dud Storm. So approval takes weeks, or even months. Meanwhile I, dutifully waiting for an official update lest my warranty be made void, have to sit it out until (in my case Vodafone) decide to release the update that other users have had unofficially for months. Meanwhile, RIM incur my wrath because my phone still has faults that they cured months ago, and because I don't realise that it is not RIM's fault that I haven't had the update.

No phone manufacturer is perfect, not even Apple, yet the carriers have them over a barrel. That is why I am delighted that OS updates for the Playbook are pushed to it directly from RIM without any middlemen putting spokes in the wheel of progress. Thay need to do that for the phones too.

My Storm 1 by the way, now works perfectly.
    06-21-11 03:09 PM
    maybe but i think any phone has issues when gripped around the antennas. I think being on atts spotty network just didnt help it much either. My buddy has an att iphone and it never has any issues. Its a day 1 phone too. So it truly can be hit and miss
    Granted the Apple antenna issue was over hyped. I also know people who had zero issues. Apple doing such an unconventional design drew suspicion. But then if you look at how many Android phones come out, only to be followed by articles siting "fixes coming for this and that..". Lots of this stuff has to be getting pushed through before its time I suspect.
    06-21-11 03:11 PM
    Granted the Apple antenna issue was over hyped. I also know people who had zero issues. Apple doing such an unconventional design drew suspicion. But then if you look at how many Android phones come out, only to be followed by articles siting "fixes coming for this and that..". Lots of this stuff has to be getting pushed through before its time I suspect.
    My 6 or 7 year BB experience, especially the Storm1 & 2 years, involved basic, needed functions that were broken at launch or with software updates. While every single phone out there has bug fixes after release without fail, most are not functionally broken with updates. My Storms were horrible, and it took months or even more than a year for the Storm1 to be fixed, and the Storm2 was not much better (robotic voice anyone!). This is an area RIM has to address. Battery pulls, etc are not common on other platforms. People want their phones to work, period. They also want the features and functions to work.

Oh, and all fanboys are the same, regardless of allegiance.
    06-21-11 09:06 PM
    My 6 or 7 year BB experience, especially the Storm1 & 2 years, involved basic, needed functions that were broken at launch or with software updates. While every single phone out there has bug fixes after release without fail, most are not functionally broken with updates. My Storms were horrible, and it took months or even more than a year for the Storm1 to be fixed, and the Storm2 was not much better (robotic voice anyone!). This is an area RIM has to address. Battery pulls, etc are not common on other platforms. People want their phones to work, period. They also want the features and functions to work.

Oh, and all fanboys are the same, regardless of allegiance.
    Well maybe the Storms just sucked then. I have bought Tours and Curves and I believe the Bolds were fairly solid on release.

06-21-11 09:10 PM
    Well maybe the Storms just sucked then. I have bought Tours and Curves and I believe the Bolds were fairly solid on release.

Yes, the Storms were/are junk. Bug-riddled software running on shoddy hardware. A lot of people with them at my work every single one either has been replaced with an iPhone or soon will be. The CEO wants to 'get rid' of all of Blackberry's and the BES servers.
    06-21-11 10:14 PM
    I wonder... how can RIM apply 'pressure' on carriers anyway? They kind of depend on carriers to carry their devices don't they? I'm not an expert in this area but I'd think the carriers are in control here, not RIM. Especially right now that BlackBerries aren't all that popular I wouldn't know what RIM could possibly do to for example 'bully' Verizon into lauching their handsets....

Anyone?
    06-21-11 10:24 PM
    BGR is owned by Jonathan Geller who loves his iphone. How can he create a shred of unbiased journalism when talking about RIM?

Jonathan Geller the Boy Genius from The Boy Genius Report Switches Back to AT&T | James Poling
    06-22-11 12:40 AM
    I don't see HTC, Samsung, or Apple complaining about how their success is being hindered by this process of technical acceptance...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 06-22-11 at 02:09 AM.
    06-22-11 02:00 AM
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with the post I was quoting and responding to. I was not referencing behavior at all but the fact that he obviously could not comprehend why people would be defending BB's on a BB site.
    06-22-11 07:06 AM
    I think that RIM should just strip the BIS servers away from the carriers completely and just go to a carrier agnostic model that is all RIM controlled. Also I think that the BIS experience should be brought into line with the BES experience.
    06-22-11 07:08 AM
    all i can say is im on my 2nd BB Bold 9780 and i still have the stutter key issue

not as bad as my first 9780 but its still here to annoy the ish out of me while im typing a detailed email/text/bbm

i cant understand whats so hard about making these devices work right the 1st time around? especially with hardware! i can understand bugs with software that ish happens... but hardware..?!

i dont want to risk trying to exchange for a 3rd 9780 that could have a worse stutter key pad than the one i have now... so i shall wait for the 9900 and hope i dont have as many issues as iv had with this one

the 9780 was a waste of an upgrade i should have held on to my 9700 and waited it out
    06-24-11 09:14 AM
    This really isnt news. I had a Droid 2 that was the worst POS cell phone I have ever used. Constantly froze and required constant reboots. Motorola still sold hundreds of thousands of them and Motorola still makes them.
    Must have been spit out at the same factory that produced my Milestone. I had the same opinion even after it was sent in for "repairs". They made it worse.
    06-24-11 09:25 AM
    all i can say is im on my 2nd BB Bold 9780 and i still have the stutter key issue

not as bad as my first 9780 but its still here to annoy the ish out of me while im typing a detailed email/text/bbm

i cant understand whats so hard about making these devices work right the 1st time around? especially with hardware! i can understand bugs with software that ish happens... but hardware..?!

i dont want to risk trying to exchange for a 3rd 9780 that could have a worse stutter key pad than the one i have now... so i shall wait for the 9900 and hope i dont have as many issues as iv had with this one

the 9780 was a waste of an upgrade i should have held on to my 9700 and waited it out
    if I hear about the shutter reset issue on the 9900 series of devices on OS7, I am surely going to laugh hard before I eventually cry in sorrow for RIMs demise lol
    07-01-11 02:11 AM
121 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD