Ah. So when RIM releases QNX software next year that isn't compatible with any of RIM's previously sold devices, they'll be doing that to "force" existing customers to upgrade too, right? Got it.
    i think you missed my point. as long as any update doesnt brick my phone, then i wont see the need to upgrade. Apple, imo purposely released ios4 to 3g users in an effort to force existing 3g users to upgrade. If they would have told me that upgrading the os will render my phone almost unusable, then i would NOT have upgraded.
    if i buy the bb9900, and then qnx is released next yr, why would i care?? as long as my current phone still works, im good.

the point of this post was really to point out the fact that rim is not the only company that releases phones, updates, etc with bugs and glitches.
    06-20-11 01:53 PM
    So a device which "doesn't work properly" sold for an average of $625 per device 18.7 million times last quarter, while RIM's entire line of properly functioning devices sold 13.2 million at an average price of $279? Wow.
    How many of those people actually already purchased the device and the data plan before this was revealed and how many of those people were assured Apple would come out with a fix?

Answer: Most and All.

And all your correlation reveals is that millions more people accept a stupidly engineered product at a higher price than those accepting an average product at a lower price. I think you were somehow trying to draw the conclusion that Apple sold more phones that require a bumper at well over $600 a pop than RIM did- which didnt require a bumper- at $280 a pop. Can you say "Boat loads of stupid people"?
    ritesh, Jake Storm and gordongr like this.
    06-20-11 01:54 PM
    As someone who's seen official releases of OS6 for the 9700 this is not surprising.

But this leak appears to be about kicking RIM while they are down. AT&T continues to sell iPhones despite public acknowledgments that it performs poorly on their network. So what is it that they are testing?

What might be happening is actually a change in the relationship between RIM and the carriers, and the carriers don't like it. The root of the problem is that carriers still think the devices are their own products that they are selling to consumers and that RIM is some kind of OEM working for them. Then they assume responsibility for support and testing.

The carrier should only test reception and let RIM bear full responsibility for the rest of the device and OS and support it as well. The current relationship is distorting accountability for quality of the product and slowing down releases.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 02:13 PM
    BGR once again proving they are the fox news of the interwebs
    More like MSNBC
    I'm thinking they are competing with The Onion.
    06-20-11 02:14 PM
    Is that where Keith Oberdoof went???
    06-20-11 02:18 PM
    Well said Synth. It is all about the RIM carrier relationships right now. And they are not good. When RIM held a large market share, and released many devices annually, they had a ton of pull. Their NA market share has shrank and they haven't delivered a new device to any carrier in a year, and to several almost 18 months. Verizon especially has never warmed back up to RIM after the 9530. And calling out the carriers in their earnings call was not helpful. This is not BGR's fault, (though they do seem to be enjoying RIM's misery) and this is not the carrier's fault. This is RIM's fault. They screwed up and want everyone to move faster and do more to help them fix it. What was that old line about your mistake not being my emergency? That's part of it. But another part of it, is the carriers asserting themselves against a manufacturer.

RIM could roll the device and release all their phones on-line, unbranded for various networks. But if the carriers still refuse to allow the device on the network, then RIM is sunk. If RIM gets a million pre-orders for these 3 devices, carriers will change their tune in a heartbeat.

RIM is gonna have to stew in this for a while.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-20-11 02:23 PM
    Keith is now on Al Gore's new network. The new Countdown Premeires tonight with an internet simulcast. You asked for info I provided. No politics, no ad-hominem attacks. We should be at least above that.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-20-11 02:25 PM
    Well said Synth. It is all about the RIM carrier relationships right now. And they are not good. When RIM held a large market share, and released many devices annually, they had a ton of pull. Their NA market share has shrank and they haven't delivered a new device to any carrier in a year, and to several almost 18 months. Verizon especially has never warmed back up to RIM after the 9530. And calling out the carriers in their earnings call was not helpful. This is not BGR's fault, (though they do seem to be enjoying RIM's misery) and this is not the carrier's fault. This is RIM's fault. They screwed up and want everyone to move faster and do more to help them fix it. What was that old line about your mistake not being my emergency? That's part of it. But another part of it, is the carriers asserting themselves against a manufacturer.

RIM could roll the device and release all their phones on-line, unbranded for various networks. But if the carriers still refuse to allow the device on the network, then RIM is sunk. If RIM gets a million pre-orders for these 3 devices, carriers will change their tune in a heartbeat.

RIM is gonna have to stew in this for a while.
    Ummmm.......August 2010 isn't quite a year...yet

edit: November 2010 is even more recent
    06-20-11 02:26 PM
    So then all these loads of buggy Android devices and the iPhone 4 that lanuched on ATT and would DROP CALLS if you held it a certain way -- those all pass the "rigorous" testing then???

I am sure there are grey areas in all this testing, and which devices are pushed through and get market advantages is just who plays the politics the correct way.

So then why would BGR call RIM out on something that is likely very common practice?
    ritesh likes this.
    06-20-11 02:41 PM
    Thing is, Apple ios updates don't suffer from the same problem? Why is that? How is able able to release a new update world-wide without having to jump through hoops for each carrier?
    06-20-11 02:43 PM
    Ummmm.......August 2010 isn't quite a year...yet
    You're right Torch released in August. Was thinking June. Mea Culpa
    06-20-11 02:46 PM
    the funny thing with bgr is that it was this reviewhttp://www.bgr.com/2008/07/16/blackberry-bold-vs-iphone-3g-yeah-we-definitely-went-there/ that convinved me to buy ny first bb they just seemed pissed at rim now
    06-20-11 03:01 PM
    From what I read 9780 went to T-Mo (lol I know T-Mo hardly counts) in November 2010
    06-20-11 03:03 PM
    There was also the Curve 93xx and Style released in the October/November timeframe. Not saying they are great, but they were new and released. They should have released Torch on all carriers in US and just given AT&T a few month exclusive.
    06-20-11 03:11 PM
    Its not surprising considering how many awful builds have gone through carriers that have been leaked here on CB, and how some devices launch with just horrific OS builds on them (Storm anyone?) that should have never passed internal testing let alone get sent out to a carrier to test.

Still RIMs not the only one, many devices have launched with software issues or technical problems with some vastly overblown than others (sup "you're holding it wrong"). When millions of people start using a product/software that might have been tested by less than a thousand its easy for the public to find issues and fast.
    06-20-11 03:23 PM
    There was also the Curve 93xx and Style released in the October/November timeframe. Not saying they are great, but they were new and released. They should have released Torch on all carriers in US and just given AT&T a few month exclusive.
    9100/9105 also hit carriers around that time too. Completely forgot about Curve 93xx, it's so underwhelming!!!!
    06-20-11 03:25 PM
    Just last month bgr was saying RIM was telling the carriers to hold off on the 9900 launch. Whats it going to be bgr, your all over the board.
    06-20-11 03:36 PM
    Now don't go insulting The Onion. Their articles are well written and much more entertaining to read.
    06-20-11 04:01 PM
    Now don't go insulting The Onion. Their articles are well written and much more entertaining to read.
    Haha, that just goes to show the poor journalism from BGR. BGR has to be the most unreliable and biased source of information ive ever seen in the tech sectre. Like seriously? Every article about RIM is one that is stating how in doom they are!
    06-20-11 04:17 PM
    haven't been on this board much since i gave up on bb after selling off my brand new 9780 with 5 of more bugs and no fixes coming for months...

any who saw this on bgr today and just thought yes this makes a lot of sense. i wont even consider a bb9900 and not because of the bgr article but because of how disappointing the 9780 was.

rushing these phones out is actually losing them customers like myself. if the 9780 worked properly or got the necessary update(s) within a few weeks or a month i might still use one and in turn be looking forward to seeing their next and best.

instead all i can think of is frustration and waste of money

oh yeah and inferior lol
    zeteo likes this.
    06-20-11 04:20 PM
    haven't been on this board much since i gave up on bb after selling off my brand new 9780 with 5 of more bugs and no fixes coming for months...

any who saw this on bgr today and just thought yes this makes a lot of sense. i wont even consider a bb9900 and not because of the bgr article but because of how disappointing the 9780 was.

rushing these phones out is actually losing them customers like myself. if the 9780 worked properly or got the necessary update(s) within a few weeks or a month i might still use one and in turn be looking forward to seeing their next and best.

instead all i can think of is frustration and waste of money

oh yeah and inferior lol
    what bugs were they?
    06-20-11 04:26 PM
    Haha, that just goes to show the poor journalism from BGR. BGR has to be the most unreliable and biased source of information ive ever seen in the tech sectre. Like seriously? Every article about RIM is one that is stating how in doom they are!
    You don't really think BGR is "journalism," do you? Hint: it's not.
    ewakil12 likes this.
    06-20-11 04:51 PM
    its not surprising with some of the bugs that are still contained in carrier approved OS releases. Stuff is majorly broke sometimes that you know they had to know about and yet they still release it onto unsuspecting customers.
    I suspect they all play these games. Surely Apple knew about the death grip before it went to carriers for approval and surely carriers knew of it when they released it
    06-20-11 06:21 PM
    what bugs were they?
    Let me answer this : I use my 9780 as my only phone and am using it to type this and guess what ?
    The keeyboard is stuttering it reallyy is annoying, especially when you want to login and you go to the password field.
    This is true I believe BGR storm 1 and 2 had problems torch too, I mmean OS problems,
    The 9780 with stuterring keyboard what sort of rubbish is that ?
    I use BB only bcos all my friends are on BB if not I would burn the BB personally instead of selling it becauwe I hate it so much, the bb os 5,6,7 is rubbish - I would have used pre 3 as my primary phone bcos I love webos I consider it to be better for me over iOS,bb os,andrioid RIM thinks so too, that's why they copied webos into qnx..
    I would upgrade to 9900 and upgrade again to QNX phones but I see easily, why rim is in a mess

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 06:32 PM
    I suspect they all play these games. Surely Apple knew about the death grip before it went to carriers for approval and surely carriers knew of it when they released it
    maybe but i think any phone has issues when gripped around the antennas. I think being on atts spotty network just didnt help it much either. My buddy has an att iphone and it never has any issues. Its a day 1 phone too. So it truly can be hit and miss
    K Bear and reeneebob like this.
    06-20-11 06:35 PM
121 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD