07-01-11 02:11 AM
121 1234 ...
tools
    Since Rim is not exactly well known for releasing new models fast I call BS on BGR, look how long the 9900 is taking? If BGR was right I would have one in my hand right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 11:12 AM
    Since Rim is not exactly well known for releasing new models fast I call BS on BGR, look how long the 9900 is taking? If BGR was right I would have one in my hand right now.

+1 for a renaming the site BSGR
    ewakil12 likes this.
    06-20-11 11:17 AM
    And they had to know it would practically brick 3g phones, so why would they still release it to 3g users? Perhaps it was to the benefit of att and apple at the expense of the consumer by forcing existing customers to upgrade and pay $200 for an ip4 and extend for their contract another 2 yrs?"
    Ah. So when RIM releases QNX software next year that isn't compatible with any of RIM's previously sold devices, they'll be doing that to "force" existing customers to upgrade too, right? Got it.
    06-20-11 11:18 AM
    The entire VZW Storm2 OS release list comes to mind.
    I can't speak for the Storm 2, but the 4.7 OS Storm 1 was shipped in a nearly unusable state. Literally.
    1magine likes this.
    06-20-11 11:19 AM
    This is not news. RIM has done/ or tried to do this for a long time. Onl;y difference is that now carriers are fighting back because RIM has no bullets in the chamber to really fire at them. Whether other OS makers try the same thing, I don't know. But buggy, half baked software? That has been RIM's calling card for a while. Again, not just my opinion or BGR, several admins on this site have repeatedly questioned how this OS version or that OS version made it through carrier acceptance, missing major flaws - like broken bedtime mode, or 3d causing the device to reset, or camera operation causing the device to reset, or various media player glitches, or reduced color saturation, or speakerphone issues... Is BGR just trying to prematurely shovel dirt over RIM - - OF COURSE. But that's not to say its not true. RIM is acting like its failure to move quickly is now their engineer's and the carrier's fault.
    06-20-11 11:20 AM
    Bgr with more bs!

06-20-11 11:21 AM
    I can't speak for the Storm 2, but the 4.7 OS Storm 1 was shipped in a nearly unusable state. Literally.
    I agree, early 9530 builds sucked, but 4.7.0.148 was far better than any Storm2 official.
    06-20-11 11:23 AM
    Can someone please point me in the direction of a flawless smart phone released to the public?

branflakes likes this.
    06-20-11 11:27 AM
    Can someone please point me in the direction of a flawless smart phone released to the public?

BGR can..........
    06-20-11 11:28 AM

Up until a few weeks ago, dave's Storm2 was the only flawless one on the planet.
    06-20-11 11:29 AM
    I think blackberry devices are quite bug free out of the box, it's the apps the cause most of the problems.

06-20-11 11:35 AM
    Don't forget a flawed structural design that requires the use of a "bumper."

Honestly, I've bought an 8310, two 9000s, two 9700s, two Torches and one 9300. I could not begin to list the work BBerries I've used. In all of those I've *never* had a problem.

I think a lot of the reported problems are user errors.

Reeeeally believe that...

Edit: wait - THREE Torches. I forgot the one I have now is a refurb I got after I ran over my first one with my ATV!!!!!
    I must say that I agree with you on those accounts. Truth be told I'm not so sure about this one from BGR.

Though I'll be fair, if it's true, then all other Phone makers are probably doing the same thing.

06-20-11 11:37 AM
    BGR once again proving they are the fox news of the interwebs
    06-20-11 11:47 AM
    This is not news. RIM has done/ or tried to do this for a long time. Onl;y difference is that now carriers are fighting back because RIM has no bullets in the chamber to really fire at them. Whether other OS makers try the same thing, I don't know. But buggy, half baked software? That has been RIM's calling card for a while. Again, not just my opinion or BGR, several admins on this site have repeatedly questioned how this OS version or that OS version made it through carrier acceptance, missing major flaws - like broken bedtime mode, or 3d causing the device to reset, or camera operation causing the device to reset, or various media player glitches, or reduced color saturation, or speakerphone issues... Is BGR just trying to prematurely shovel dirt over RIM - - OF COURSE. But that's not to say its not true. RIM is acting like its failure to move quickly is now their engineer's and the carrier's fault.
    First off, exactly how are the carriers 'fighting back?' This is a supposedly quotes a single anonymous insider that may or may not actually exist. Secondly, you can bet you patootie that all manufacturers do the same thing. Name one phone that was introduced that was flawless from day one, or one OS that never received an upgrade to fix critical flaws or add necessary features or functionality. There are plenty of examples of hardware and OS's from all manufacturers that could also be considered hald-baked if evaluated equally with BlackBerry's.

06-20-11 12:04 PM
    Except a bumper wasn't/isn't "required." Will a bumper mitigate a particular issue which can result in dropped calls? Yes. Required? No.
    So something that takes a device that doesnt operate properly and makes it operate properly isnt required?

My favorite was when they told people they were holding it wrong. LOL!
    Jake Storm and gordongr like this.
    06-20-11 12:10 PM
    BGR once again proving they are the fox news of the interwebs
    More like MSNBC
    gordongr and dunerzr like this.
    06-20-11 12:11 PM
    Lol, anybody remember iphone's last "bug", the one that tracked and stored your location for a year? I wonder how did carriers approved that?

06-20-11 12:24 PM
    OMG OMG OMG!! You people finally figured it out. Well thank goodness some one did before too long. It's not RIM's fault, it's all BGR's fault. RIM is infailable and the stock (hence a good part of the so called 'cash on hand') which dropped more than 26% over the last several days is all due to the bad press coming exclusively from BGR, who does nothing but make up lies about RIMM, because they love Apple/ Android/ WP7 more than their mommas. The new 2011 devices are perfect, everyone who has one says so. And the Storm and the Tour, and the Storm 2 - never had real problems. It was all user error and bad applications that snuck onto App World with BGR's help, despite the herculean efforts of RIM.
    centsofreason and zeteo like this.
    06-20-11 12:30 PM
    So something that takes a device that doesnt operate properly and makes it operate properly isnt required?
    So a device which "doesn't work properly" sold for an average of $625 per device 18.7 million times last quarter, while RIM's entire line of properly functioning devices sold 13.2 million at an average price of $279? Wow.
    06-20-11 12:34 PM
    OMG OMG OMG!! You people finally figured it out. Well thank goodness some one did before too long. It's not RIM's fault, it's all BGR's fault. RIM is infailable and the stock (hence a good part of the so called 'cash on hand') which dropped more than 26% over the last several days is all due to the bad press coming exclusively from BGR, who does nothing but make up lies about RIMM, because they love Apple/ Android/ WP7 more than their mommas. The new 2011 devices are perfect, everyone who has one says so. And the Storm and the Tour, and the Storm 2 - never had real problems. It was all user error and bad applications that snuck onto App World with BGR's help, despite the herculean efforts of RIM.
    RIM should have given free therapy to anyone who owned a Storm or Storm2.
    zeteo likes this.
    06-20-11 12:38 PM
    So a device which "doesn't work properly" sold for an average of $625 per device 18.7 million times last quarter, while RIM's entire line of properly functioning devices sold 13.2 million at an average price of $279? Wow.
    your missing the whole point, the article is stupid for several reasons

1) no `actual` source, show me some proof
    2) speculation on a unreleased device, seriously? ok then lol
    3) the fact everyones acting like no other manufacturer does this. you dont think apple did this? you dont think htc/sammy/moto have done this? hmmm ok then
    maddie1128 likes this.
    06-20-11 12:40 PM
    Its still not entirely clear on their balance sheets, but the return/swap rate on those devices (9530/9550) with VZW was insanely high. From what I have overheard, nearly 1 in 4 total devices sold received at least 1 warranty replacement. Several thousand users received multiple replacements. This too, by the by, was entirely BGR's fault. They messed up the manufacturing and lied about the OS being buggy.
    K Bear, centsofreason and zeteo like this.
    06-20-11 12:43 PM
    your missing the whole point, the article is stupid for several reasons

1) no `actual` source, show me some proof
    2) speculation on a unreleased device, seriously? ok then lol
    3) the fact everyones acting like no other manufacturer does this. you dont think apple did this? you dont think htc/sammy/moto have done this? hmmm ok then
    I wasn't responding to the article; I was responding to another commenter's line about something I'd written. That's why I quoted what the commenter said.
    Last edited by Economist101; 06-20-11 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Grammar
    06-20-11 12:48 PM
    Sad that some people not only read BGR, but actually take the time to post the articles here. Very sad.
    06-20-11 01:09 PM
    This certainly isn't just RIM that pressures carriers to accept devices / software. It's a constant back-and-forth between the manufacturers and partners.

These days it's more surprising if there aren't bugs than if there are.
    06-20-11 01:46 PM
121 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD