07-01-11 02:11 AM
121 123 ...
tools
    Mod edit: Copyright image removed

Launching new products is always difficult. Launching new products with hundreds of different carriers is exponentially more difficult. Apparently there’s is an easy way and a hard way to do things, however, and RIM has been making carriers offers they can’t refuse. BGR has learned from a trusted source that RIM has been strong-arming several carriers, essentially forcing them to approve devices they normally would not move through the Technical Acceptance phase.

Here is how it works: once an OS software build (bundle) has been tested internally at RIM, and the OS performs well, it moves up to be a Technical Acceptance candidate. The OS is then sent to the carrier to test and approve, or test and reject. If a carrier rejects a build, it can take weeks to get a new build tested and approved, and it can slow down a device’s release by months — as evidenced many times with different BlackBerry products in the past.

What’s the problem, then? We have been informed by a very reliable source at a major carrier that RIM has been putting an enormous amount of pressure on carriers to approve the upcoming BlackBerry smartphones like the BlackBerry Bold 9900 — phones that have to hold RIM over until its next-generation platform launch in 2012 — and that certain carriers will be approving the devices, “no matter what — with bugs and problems.” Additionally, RIM is putting huge pressure on its internal engineers to deliver Technical Acceptance bundles even when there are serious problems with the OS. In short, RIM is pushing unfinished OS builds from its engineers to the carriers, and demanding that the carriers approve them.

The thing is, this isn’t something new, and it’s part of the reason your BlackBerry is so buggy, reboots randomly, and there are possible signal and connection issues. There have been multiple devices, we have been told, that have been forced through the Technical Acceptance process with multiple carriers, and it’s one of the reasons some carriers launch devices sooner than others (barring any exclusivity arrangements) — some play ball but others won’t. Remember how Rogers was one of the first carriers to launch the BlackBerry Bold 9000 while AT&T didn’t launch the device until November? The device constantly failed Technical Acceptance on AT&T, but Rogers pushed the device out anyway as a result of pressure from RIM. And Rogers is most certainly not the only carrier that has found itself in that position.

Spokespeople from RIM and Rogers did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An AT&T spokesperson declined to comment.

Source: BGR
    Last edited by rroyy; 06-20-11 at 10:29 AM.
    howarmat, fire6 and mustangv8 like this.
    06-20-11 10:23 AM
    Well....I wonder whether Barnes and Noble will sell this under Fiction or Science Fiction.

Not slam to you OP. Just another load of hogwash from BGR.
    06-20-11 10:28 AM
    Hey look an an 'anti RIM' story from BGR.

You go RIM. Force those OS's down the carriers throat........
    The Wal-mart of cell phones manufacturers
    its not surprising with some of the bugs that are still contained in carrier approved OS releases. Stuff is majorly broke sometimes that you know they had to know about and yet they still release it onto unsuspecting customers.
    K Bear and eth555 like this.
    06-20-11 10:29 AM
    so what, a lot of manufacterers do this, HTC, nokia, mostly a lot of android devices come out half baked and with lotta problems. apple just barely puts anything into thier OS and brain washes their people to think it's great. (no MMS, no copy and paste, notifications, all very innovative)
    06-20-11 10:29 AM
    For all the work the carriers are supposedly doing certifying these things, an amazing number of them get released with bugs anyway - and not just BlackBerry's, as this article would suggest. Just more RIM-bashing and attention-grabbing by BGR if you ask me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 10:32 AM
    well, i don't know why this would be news. phone companies im sure have always been doing this.

But further....BGR...I want to know this "reliable" source. and at a major carrier.

Please....make us believe ...like we give 2 sh*ts
    06-20-11 10:32 AM
    so what, a lot of manufacterers do this, HTC, nokia, mostly a lot of android devices come out half baked and with lotta problems. apple just barely puts anything into thier OS and brain washes their people to think it's great. (no MMS, no copy and paste, notifications, all very innovative)
    Don't forget a flawed structural design that requires the use of a "bumper."

Honestly, I've bought an 8310, two 9000s, two 9700s, two Torches and one 9300. I could not begin to list the work BBerries I've used. In all of those I've *never* had a problem.

I think a lot of the reported problems are user errors.

Reeeeally believe that...

Edit: wait - THREE Torches. I forgot the one I have now is a refurb I got after I ran over my first one with my ATV!!!!!
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-20-11 at 10:39 AM.
    06-20-11 10:36 AM
    In short, RIM is pushing unfinished OS builds from its engineers to the carriers, and demanding that the carriers approve them.
    If this is true, and the Bold is released with bugs and a half baked OS, the reviewers will cream RIM once again like they did with the PB. Stock will continue to fall and RIM's image will be tarnished!

Let's hope this is not the case.
    trsbbs likes this.
    06-20-11 10:39 AM
    If this is true, and the Bold is released with bugs and a half baked OS, the reviewers will cream RIM once again like they did with the PB. Stock will continue to fall and RIM's image will be tarnished!

Let's hope this is not the case.
    This really isnt news. I had a Droid 2 that was the worst POS cell phone I have ever used. Constantly froze and required constant reboots. Motorola still sold hundreds of thousands of them and Motorola still makes them.
    06-20-11 10:42 AM
    apple just barely puts anything into thier OS and brain washes their people to think it's great. (no MMS, no copy and paste, notifications, all very innovative)
    And the difference between "iPhone without copy and paste" and "PlayBook without native e-mail, calendar and contacts" is exactly what? In both cases, consumers were aware of the products' features, and chose these products as they were offered.

Don't forget a flawed structural design that requires the use of a "bumper."
    Except a bumper wasn't/isn't "required." Will a bumper mitigate a particular issue which can result in dropped calls? Yes. Required? No.
    Last edited by Economist101; 06-20-11 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
    06-20-11 10:48 AM
    The Wal-mart of cell phones manufacturers
    Published by the Wal-Mart of gadget gossip sites
    06-20-11 10:50 AM
    Wish the "unfinished" product was the qnx phones, i'de be willing to get a halfbaked version of thise rather than 6.1\7
    DAMION99 likes this.
    06-20-11 10:51 AM
    Call me cynical, but this just sounds like a lot of reverse FUD. There's this general sense that carriers are a major roadblock in RIM's getting these devices out. Heck - even Mike Lazaridis mentioned that carrier acceptance was slowing releases, and when's the last time he said anything bad about carriers? At any rate, the carriers have been taking a lot of flack for RIM's phone delays, and suddenly, here we have a person - supposedly from inside the carriers - saying that it's all for your own good. That carriers play the role of "knight in shining armour" for consumers: protecting you against bugs and worse. Sounds like someone's trying to change the narrative.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. No doubt RIM is slow in getting out OS releases, and that its OS releases aren't bug free (which software isn't?). But it also sounds like the carriers are slow in performing acceptance testing, and I'm sure the BlackBerry phones are at the bottom of their TODO list for multiple reasons.
    Last edited by allengeorge; 06-20-11 at 10:54 AM.
    06-20-11 10:52 AM
    its not surprising with some of the bugs that are still contained in carrier approved OS releases. Stuff is majorly broke sometimes that you know they had to know about and yet they still release it onto unsuspecting customers.
    The entire VZW Storm2 OS release list comes to mind.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-20-11 10:52 AM
    After seeing how un-ready the PB was for release in both the US and UK and the comments made during the conference call about this very issue (Carrier cert) it appears that dumb and dumber (co-ceo's) are still not getting it.

Until one or both are removed and the unreal bubble they live in is popped they will continue to hurt RIM in a major way.

The next thing to look for is folks jumping ship.. oh yea, the COO is out sick and one of the marketing big wigs already bailed.

The only reason this Titanic keeps hitting ice is the Co-Captains are lost at sea.

investors its time to let them know its time for a change at the top.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 06-20-11 at 11:04 AM.
    06-20-11 10:56 AM
    BGR......
    who cares what they've got to say?

especially jonathan s. geller, he has to be the most pathetic apple-fanboy i've ever heard of, anyone read the "iOS 5 reviews day 1,2 and 3" ?
    so pathetic... and BAD
    so sad
    ewakil12 likes this.
    06-20-11 10:56 AM
    Published by the Wal-Mart of gadget gossip sites
    haha, touche'
    06-20-11 10:59 AM
    The entire VZW Storm2 OS release list comes to mind.
    Yep!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-20-11 10:59 AM
    And the difference between "iPhone without copy and paste" and "PlayBook without native e-mail, calendar and contacts" is exactly what? In both cases, consumers were aware of the products' features, and chose these products as they were offered.

Except a bumper wasn't/isn't "required." Will a bumper mitigate a particular issue which can result in dropped calls? Yes. Required? No.
    Mitigate a particular issue that can result in dropped calls? I think we're going to have to rename you spin 101.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 11:03 AM
    Another RIM bashing story from BGR, yawn!
    ewakil12 likes this.
    06-20-11 11:05 AM
    BGR was correct about the low sales of playbooks, so why can't they be right about this?

I agree, however, that a lot of phone manufacturers push out buggy phones, but RIM is in no position to be able to handle more negative reviews on their products. Anyone testing the phones will not buy them if they are bugged out ,except for the crackberries.

More bad news....
    06-20-11 11:06 AM
    you want to talk about broke and halfbaked phones? lets talk about the iphone 3g, with the ios 4.0 and later upgrades. i currently have an iphone 3g, it was almost unusable when i upgraded to ios4. its sooo bad, that i had to borrow someones 3gs to hold me over until the new 9900 comes out. yes im going back to blackberry b/c i FckN hate apple.

And they had to know it would practically brick 3g phones, so why would they still release it to 3g users? Perhaps it was to the benefit of att and apple at the expense of the consumer by forcing existing customers to upgrade and pay $200 for an ip4 and extend for their contract another 2 yrs?

you know in the investment industry there was a saying i once heard from a wholeseller, "the insurance company wins, the broker wins, and the client loses. hey 2 outta 3 aint bad."
    branflakes likes this.
    06-20-11 11:07 AM
    Mitigate a particular issue that can result in dropped calls? I think we're going to have to rename you spin 101.
    You cut me I bleed.
    06-20-11 11:12 AM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD