03-25-11 11:54 AM
115 ... 2345
tools
    anyone stupid enough to pay a monthly fee for BBM should be shot...
    LOL, That reminds of something my Father used to say. Didn't work for Stalin, Hitler, Mao or Pot, It's not going work here either.

Our carrier is making money on either side of the bet. They share plan revenue with RIM, then the use the extra bandwidth to support the high demand devices.
    03-04-11 08:39 PM
    So how does RIM get paid for this Android offer? They need to get paid for network service that BBM runs on every month. If people jump ship, it's less money coming in.

Also, how about pin service? Does Android phones get a pin for it? Or a txt message type app that can send back delivered and read statuses (not far fetched) cased in a BBM style app?

It's a bit more complicated because pins are part of an encryption code for data such as emails that runs in the server. Everything via pin is encrypted by in part of that pin. To give the decryption method out (in an app that can reversed engineered) is a bit odd if not suicidal in RIMs part. But Last I remember, it was hardware coded.

I call all of this BS. But I've been wrong before
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    03-04-11 09:58 PM
    It wouldn't really be bbm if it expanded...
    03-05-11 01:51 AM
    So how does RIM get paid for this Android offer? They need to get paid for network service that BBM runs on every month. If people jump ship, it's less money coming in.

Also, how about pin service? Does Android phones get a pin for it? Or a txt message type app that can send back delivered and read statuses (not far fetched) cased in a BBM style app?

It's a bit more complicated because pins are part of an encryption code for data such as emails that runs in the server. Everything via pin is encrypted by in part of that pin. To give the decryption method out (in an app that can reversed engineered) is a bit odd if not suicidal in RIMs part. But Last I remember, it was hardware coded.

I call all of this BS. But I've been wrong before
    They get paid 2 ways...$1.99 for the app, and then they sell advertising. So since BBM is always on, and location aware, the ads can be locations. Near a starbucks, get a coupon for starbucks.

It wouldn't really be bbm if it expanded...
    Yeah like google Talk isn't Google Talk on ios or a BB???
    03-05-11 07:38 AM
    Interesting. It would be interesting to see how it gets implemented and what, if any, features get removed for the Android/iOS versions if they really do it.

If it doesn't have BBM Groups functionality, I wouldn't want any part of it and even with Groups, I wouldn't be so excited by the idea that i'd pay any sort of recurring fee, and likely not even a one-time fee, even if small.
    03-05-11 02:50 PM
    Reliability and speed. BBM is still tops amongst messengers in both regards.
    Yeah but that doesn't indicate how it would perform on another platform.
    03-08-11 12:15 PM
    In the long term will likely make no difference, BlackBerry for example in the UK are still cheap on Pay as you go and popular for that reason. Other smartphones are not.
    News at 11: Cheap Phones sell for Cheap Prices. Who would have known?1 Weather at 12.

Please don't tell me you're putting a Curve in the same category as an iPhone or high end Android device (Galaxy S, Droid X, nevermind the newer ones coming out)...

There are cheap mid-ranged Android phones that sell for comparable prices to Curves. There are eSeries Nokia devices that sell for comparable prices. 70% of the market is still on Feature phones because they're cheaper and functional enough.

I guess I'm just not seeing your point. Blackberry is popular in the UK? We knew that...
    03-09-11 12:44 AM
    is it too little to late? I just found out about LiveProfile and it looks on point.
    03-09-11 03:35 PM
    Terrible idea.....I can't even remember how many times I have read what a lot of BB users keep them with BB and this was a big one. (Don't matter to me as they isn't what ties me to mine.)

Big mistake, I don't see it being a halo effect to bring people back to BB in the future.

I do see big sales losses, market loss....so on and so forth. There are already cross-platforms like whatsapp and what not, so I don't get this at all.

Bad move rim...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 04:19 PM
    TBH, after using a BB, the BBM wasn't the thing that's good about it as far as messaging is concerned, the keyboard is. I'm one of those people who will just be content and use whatever I am given, but I never really seen the allure of it. They keyboard was a big refreshing, though...

On the blackberry bold screen the message tags (D and R) were too small to read unless you're face was almost plastered to the screen, and I have very good vision. I actually think changing the color of the check mark (one check for sent, two for delivered, and then change the color of them for read) would be a much more optimal solution on those small screens/low resolution, IMO...

Also, if there are still size limitations on the files you can send, BBM on Android/iOS will still be worse than WhatsApp, which got group chat recently and is going to be introducing bigger group sizes soon...
    03-20-11 03:12 AM
    I was given an iphone 4 to use - and I changed back to my 9700 within a month. The iphone is a "fun device", but it doesn't have the ability as far as I am concerned to match the BB. You can customize your BB out of the box, iPhone makes you use all the same sounds, looks etc.. as everyone else. C'mon - no LED even!

Only good thing with iphone IMHO is the fact you can use all your apps and email on wifi - where BB makes that a little more difficult (unless I am missing something). BBM or not on other devices - BB is a strong device.
    03-20-11 09:18 PM
    I have been an iPhone user for coming on 2 years, and apart from the battery life rate the iPhone above BB for an overall user experience much higher.

I use Whatsapp every day to communicate with almost all my freinds I contact regularly, in fact the figures prove my usage. I used to send 1131 texts on average each month, now I send 210 on average. My data usage has tripled and this is due to Whatsapp messenger.

BBM for iPhone would give you the opportunity for general communication to users on Blackberry. Whatsapp is already the soloution to this. it offer cross platform communication, including group chat up to 5 people and BB, if it were to go cross platform would be scaled down to users outside the RIM network.

But if you told someone they could do this for FREE using whatsapp (apart from the one off 0.59 price for iOS users) then I think they'd probably choose whatsapp. if BBM for Android and iOS is free, yes people would use it but if it didnt have media share or group chat capabilities, then Whatsapp would still be better.

I myself have been encouraging all my friends with nokia, blackberrys, android to all download whatsapp and use it and they have all loved. My hosuemate even uses whatsapp on his BB and prefers it to BBM.

The conveniece of BBM sells BlackBerrys, and being an iPhone user, I want a Blackberry now because I'm bored of the bad battery life on iPhones and like the actual keypad on a BB.

But BBM for iPhone, if it were free to all users and scaled down would just be another app on your phone, and not force me to delete Whatsapp from my apps.
    03-21-11 06:44 AM
    The iPhone battery life is shorter mostly because the hardware taxes it more, and you use the phone more - and when you use it, the hardware is taxing it more than a Blackberry.

I tried a Bold 9780. A Blackberry feels almost like a feature phone compared to the other smartphones. It sort of sits there, but I can't really figure out what to do with it other than SMS/BBM/eMail and make/recieve calls.

Browsing was better than on OS5, but the screen is so small it almost seems harmful to your eyes to start at that thing for extended periods of time.

With a Car Charger and a spare USB Cable I don't have any issues with battery life on any of my phones.

When I go to the rink I plug it into the wall while I'm on the ice. If I'm in the care I dock it and charge. If I'm at home it's trivial to keep it charged up.

And I have two phones (one Android/one WP7) so if one was to die it would be of little impact on my daily routine, since most of my stuff is cloud sync'd (Contacts, Calendar, etc.) and much/most of the information is duplicated on both devices...
    howarmat likes this.
    03-21-11 07:03 AM
    Yeah I see what you mean about a BlackBerry, it is very straight forward to it's usage. Email, BBM, texts & calls. The iPhone does all these tricks and more. The apps I use regularly on my iPhone are eBay, PayPal, WhatsApp, Built in Email, Wikipedia, Facebook, YouTube, TuneIn radio and Google translate.

On top of this, I have games such as tony hawks pro skater, fifa 11 which are all things I could get on an iPod touch and I am considering an BB now because I can get a 64GB iPod touch and let all my battery hungry apps go on that and not my phone.

Someone convince me to buy a BB now and get rid of my rapidly dating iPhone 3GS because I want there to be other reasons than BBM and the real qwerty keyboard apposed to touch screen for me to be attracted to BlackBerry.
    03-21-11 07:43 AM
    Yeah I see what you mean about a BlackBerry, it is very straight forward to it's usage. Email, BBM, texts & calls. The iPhone does all these tricks and more. The apps I use regularly on my iPhone are eBay, PayPal, WhatsApp, Built in Email, Wikipedia, Facebook, YouTube, TuneIn radio and Google translate.
    Slight irony that pretty much all of those apps you list are also on the blackberry.
    03-21-11 03:35 PM
    Slight irony that pretty much all of those apps you list are also on the blackberry.
    I-phone users don't realize that us bb users have most of the same everyday apps plus the battery life
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    03-21-11 04:59 PM
    You can laugh guys, but iPhone users have an app store of 300'000+ apps. How big a catalogue do we have? I think they have stuff they can do which us BB users can't, just I don't have an iPhone to check (I'm a Torch user)
    03-21-11 05:43 PM
    I-phone users don't realize that us bb users have most of the same everyday apps plus the battery life
    That's true but compare the apps, 9 times out of 10 the apps will be better on iOS......
    03-21-11 10:06 PM
    All I'll say is... if BBM goes over to iPhone/Android, I'm uninstalling it from my BlackBerry, but keeping the BlackBerry as my main device.
    03-21-11 10:17 PM
    All I'll say is... if BBM goes over to iPhone/Android, I'm uninstalling it from my BlackBerry, but keeping the BlackBerry as my main device.
    LOL...And why would you do that?
    03-22-11 02:11 AM
    They don't care what other platforms have in most cases because they are happy with what they have. They don't obsess over other offerings the way BB users do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 07:59 AM
    LOL...And why would you do that?
    I get a just about bearable amount of spam BBMs currently. If my iPhone and Android friends get it too, then it'll be an unbearable amount of spam. Simple disconnect myself from the BlackBerry Messenger network and the spam stops.
    03-22-11 09:03 AM
    They don't care what other platforms have in most cases because they are happy with what they have. They don't obsess over other offerings the way BB users do.
    You must be talking in general rather than about the ones on here because it seems more like the iphone and android users on here obsess far more about what is or isn't on a bb than the actual bb users do themselves.
    03-22-11 10:20 AM
    Look at it from the other way, though... Most everyday apps from BB is on the iPhone, and a ton of other apps that aren't on BB. That's why lots of people go there, cause there's a ton of apps that don't exist on other platforms (even Android), or the cross platform versions are terrible (try playing WWF on Andoid, it feels like a pre-Alpha compared to the iPhone version).

And while lots of people make their "toy" "i don't game on my phone" comments, if half the games from iOS were ported to BB 90% of those people would be raving about them on this very forum.
    03-23-11 03:17 AM
    And while lots of people make their "toy" "i don't game on my phone" comments, if half the games from iOS were ported to BB 90% of those people would be raving about them on this very forum.
    Very true. The BB is capable of being a "toy" too, albeit a sucky toy.
    03-23-11 10:09 AM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD