So I guess this means another app to add to my multi platform app directory, I think this is good for BB, and good for users.
    03-03-11 03:14 PM
    In the long term will likely make no difference, BlackBerry for example in the UK are still cheap on Pay as you go and popular for that reason. Other smartphones are not.
    03-03-11 05:36 PM
    For the people saying its a bad idea for RIM to bring BBM on to other platforms, I just don't see how this is a bad thing no matter how you spin it. If someone I need to talk to decides to go with an iPhone or Android phone then i might think about switching too since I can't BBM them anymore and if I am not gone already this only proves that no matter what blackberry faithful sticks to the BB brand. But in this case it only boosts the Blackberry awareness among other platform users and BBM will help then realize how great of an app/platform it is, this inturn will in promote the Blackberry brand value which still has not reached to the roots of the Nokia's traditional markets. One good example is Blackberry was not known in Indonesia a few years ago and when it initially appeared in the stores people there assumed it as a KIRF brand or cheap Chinese knock off but now you will be surprised how BBM popularized the Blackberry there. Price, key board and Blackberry brand value are the key factors that will ensure success for Blackberry in the emerging economies. RIM will be back in shape with the devices slated for 2011 and QNX HH's slated for 2012 to compete for the high end market in the developed nations.

Apart from the BBM news I really like the Blackberry future strategy. The android application framework will be adopted to take advantage of the large app pool. Their new OS for playbook and phones going forward will be their proprietary qnx kernel and web browser along with their own app store with only approved android apps.They can control the experience and the app store to cut down on the crap apps and provide a more seamless interface.Something both samsung and motorola tried but failed miserably.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-03-11 at 08:14 PM.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    03-03-11 08:05 PM
    How can you say that? There are posts on this site every day saying that BBM is the only reason they still have a BB. There are people who even switched back from other platforms JUST because they missed BBM.

I don't think anyone is posting here just for the sake of being negative. It is just an opinion base don what people hear/see on this site of from people they know. I know several people who want to switch to Android but stick with BBs because of BBM, even though I tell them there are apps just like it, but they have a big BBM list and do not want to change app. If they can get BBM on an Android device they will be gone in a second.
    Ive also read time and time again about some going back to BB just for BBM which I find completely asinine.
    03-03-11 08:13 PM
    I use bbm all the time, but I can't see it keeping me or anyone using a BB. I think its a great idea and wil open up the possibility of regaining my defected friends and making new ones. That's what BB is touted for right? COMUNICATIONS!!!! Now if they would make groups that don't lag that would he awesome !!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 09:57 PM
    If this actually happens and is widely adopted, it will give even more users a chance to see how frustrating a rim outage is.

They better beef up their servers.

That's one of the first things I thought too. Users who have never experienced Blackberry won't be happy when their first outage hits.... And it will hit, that's a given.

03-03-11 10:40 PM
    I wonder, how much does RIM get each month from each person's monthly bill? I've heard that Apple gets $12/month per iPhone (but don't quote me on that). If RIM can get $5-10/month for a cross platform BBM, they could substantially add to their monthly revenues. Yes, there are those that might still leave, but at least they would be paying money back to RIM even though they aren't using a BlackBerry.
    03-03-11 11:01 PM
    how is RIM going to get 5-10 a month for just BBM per user?
    03-03-11 11:10 PM
    I wonder, how much does RIM get each month from each person's monthly bill? I've heard that Apple gets $12/month per iPhone (but don't quote me on that). If RIM can get $5-10/month for a cross platform BBM, they could substantially add to their monthly revenues. Yes, there are those that might still leave, but at least they would be paying money back to RIM even though they aren't using a BlackBerry.
    Apple is a device seller, they don't get any money from the carrier other then for the cost of the device. What they do make money off of you is when you buy apps from their app store.

Think about it, google gives the OS away but they still make money off of users for ever app sold in the Android Market.
    03-03-11 11:40 PM
    Why would Apple make $12 a month for the Iphone? Apple makes the iphone and sells it to service providers or through their own stores. Now RIM making $5-$10 per phone is crazy. My cellphone plan is $40 for unlimited talk, text, and data. How could my service provider pay RIM $5-$10 for my phone? Where are you getting your information from?
    03-03-11 11:57 PM
    It seems rather on the high side, but maybe that's the average they make per iphone user from apps, music etc.
    03-04-11 04:40 AM
    Read this on the crackberry blogs. Wonder when it'll reach windows mobile/CE 6 & 7??

03-04-11 06:25 AM
    My understanding was that the handset maker receives a portion of your monthly bill. I heard that AT&T and Apple agreed to $12/month. I think RIM is under $10. Either way, it would be a way for RIM to collect revenue (either through a monthly subscription fee or advertising) from people who have switched to other platforms.
    03-04-11 09:01 AM
    My understanding was that the handset maker receives a portion of your monthly bill. I heard that AT&T and Apple agreed to $12/month. I think RIM is under $10. Either way, it would be a way for RIM to collect revenue (either through a monthly subscription fee or advertising) from people who have switched to other platforms.
    Where did you hear this from? I'm not saying you are lying I just never heard that. All I ever heard was that Apple gets the full profit when AT&T sells a device. This is different than other companies who sell their devices to the carrier at a discounted price and then the carrier sells to us. So whatever they get when they sell to the customer is theirs. Just would like to know where you got that info from.

In any case, even if that is true, what does Apple making 12 bucks per iPhone/month sold have to do with an APPLICATION being on devices? This is not about RIM selling their blackberries this is just about them making an application available for other platforms. I don't see how these are remotely close to being the same thing.
    03-04-11 09:21 AM
    It's been reported by analysts over the years. Here's an article I found from cnet: Piper Jaffray: AT&T paying Apple $18 per iPhone, per month | Apple - CNET News. In it, a Piper Jaffray analyst suggests Apple earns $18 per month from AT&T. You can find other links on Google.

All I'm saying is that this presents RIM with an opportunity to boost their revenue from non (and former) BB users (either from a subscription model or advertising revenue).
    03-04-11 09:58 AM
    It's been reported by analysts over the years. Here's an article I found from cnet: Piper Jaffray: AT&T paying Apple $18 per iPhone, per month | Apple - CNET News. In it, a Piper Jaffray analyst suggests Apple earns $18 per month from AT&T. You can find other links on Google.

All I'm saying is that this presents RIM with an opportunity to boost their revenue from non (and former) BB users (either from a subscription model or advertising revenue).
    That article is old and when the iPhone was sold only unsubsidized. I'm not sure if it was the same once it became subbed. But anyhow....

I see what you are saying but I don't see how an App will function in the same way as a phone agreement. I see 0 incentive for Apple or Google to pay RIM anything for BBM. They've been getting along pretty well without it and people aren't leaving their platforms for BBM. If anything, RIM would only make money if the end user has to pay for it. I doubt they get any money from Apple or Google. They only way would be to try to make an agreement like Microsoft when they wanted Bing implemented on the phone and not just an app you can download from the app store and RIM gets some revenue when it's used or if it wants to become the preferred messaging client for each platform and implemented as a native client.

That's a lot different than just making an app but remember before Microsoft got any revenue for this they had to pay Apple a boatload so Apple could implement it into the OS and make it an option as a default search engine. So I would think if RIM wanted to do this and not just have an App in the store they would have to pay a lot of money. Otherwise if it's just an App, they won't get any money from Google or Apple..... just the end user.

Doing what Microsoft did with Bing may be the way to go. It would cost RIM a lot of money upfront but they would share in the revenue since it would be apart of the platform and people would use it then. But just making an app and putting it in the store is just going to lump it up with all the other clients available that are free and hope people download it. Making it apart of the platform is a sure fire way to get people to use it and make a lot of money of a period of time. But would Google want to do this? Sure they say Android is open but they didn't allow Motorola to use a different location service because it would undermine Google's own services. Would they implement BBM when they have GTalk or just make it an app? And who knows if Apple is going to come out with their own client for iPhone. If they are then they surely won't allow BBM to be implemented in the OS and it would be merely another client in the app store.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-04-11 at 11:18 AM.
    03-04-11 10:54 AM
    The article did make a point of separating out hardware revenue and monthly profit-sharing. I found other articles / analyst reports that estimates RIM's monthly revenue from handset users at $3.50 to $6.00 for consumers (BIS) and $6.00 to $8.50 for business users (BES). Of course, I will point out that these are analysts estimates.

I'm not suggesting that the app will work in the same way as a phone agreement. I'm suggesting that if RIM derives $x/month from each of its BIS and BES users, this would be a way for it to expand its revenue from non-BB users (from which RIM currently earns a bit fat $0). Nor does RIM need to pay anyone to make it part of the platform. They can give it away / sell it from any number of sources and make money off the end users by either charging them a monthly access fee or advertising. Remember, RIM makes nothing off Android users now. If RIM can make $1 or $2 a month off every Android BBM user, that's a lot more than they're making now. It might even convince a few of them to switch back for the "full BBM flavor", who knows.
    03-04-11 11:38 AM
    anyone stupid enough to pay a monthly fee for BBM should be shot...
    03-04-11 11:58 AM
    The article did make a point of separating out hardware revenue and monthly profit-sharing. I found other articles / analyst reports that estimates RIM's monthly revenue from handset users at $3.50 to $6.00 for consumers (BIS) and $6.00 to $8.50 for business users (BES). Of course, I will point out that these are analysts estimates.

I'm not suggesting that the app will work in the same way as a phone agreement. I'm suggesting that if RIM derives $x/month from each of its BIS and BES users, this would be a way for it to expand its revenue from non-BB users (from which RIM currently earns a bit fat $0). Nor does RIM need to pay anyone to make it part of the platform. They can give it away / sell it from any number of sources and make money off the end users by either charging them a monthly access fee or advertising. Remember, RIM makes nothing off Android users now. If RIM can make $1 or $2 a month off every Android BBM user, that's a lot more than they're making now. It might even convince a few of them to switch back for the "full BBM flavor", who knows.
    I see what you are saying but if you really think an end user is going to make a monthly fee for BBM then I'd say that's crazy. That gives users even less of an incentive to use it. It's 1 thing to charge a 1 time small fee but a recurring fee for end users? That model that Apple used with AT&T does not work in this case. I am not sure why you think anything remotely similar to that would work for an application.
    03-04-11 12:06 PM
    I know right. So I'm already paying high data charges every month and now I'm going to pay to use BBM on my iPhone or Android when there are plenty of other FREE options out there that I was already using. Be for real.
    03-04-11 12:07 PM
    Completely agreed.
    03-04-11 12:27 PM
    That's true, lol. If it's a stripped down version, how does it make itself different from anything else that's already out there.... like KiK, WhatsApp, etc....?

A one time fee would make more sense...
    03-04-11 08:12 PM
    Why would Apple make $12 a month for the Iphone? Apple makes the iphone and sells it to service providers or through their own stores. Now RIM making $5-$10 per phone is crazy. My cellphone plan is $40 for unlimited talk, text, and data. How could my service provider pay RIM $5-$10 for my phone? Where are you getting your information from?
    It is a fact, the premium that your carrier pays to RIM is about $5.00 per month. That provides BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) and your carrier will make some money off the data.

Your total package is fantastic, bring on the competition.
    03-04-11 08:30 PM
    BBM on other platforms. Android apps running on a Blackberry. now that's exciting!

even if BBM is offered on IOS or Android, i wouldn't be jumping ship, it's not the major factor why i prefer to use a blackberry.
    I agree.
    03-04-11 08:32 PM
    So, let's take the different scenarios and how it would pan out around me and my friendship circle:

1. RIM makes full BBM available on Android/iOS for free - that's like all my friendship networks on BBs leaving for Android/iOS
    2. RIM makes stripped-down BBM available on Android/iOS for free - People will leave, see the other options, then wave goodbye to RIM. Certainly, there will be no iOS/Android pickup from non-BB users.
    3. RIM makes full BBM on iOS/Android for a fee (one-time/monthly) - Won't be justified. No one would pick it up, and all iPhone/Android users in my network would say "FU RIM!" My BB friends would think RIM are morons and ditch their platform.

The only way RIM can win around my large friendship circle, and keep any number of BB users, is to keep it BB exclusive. I hate to say it, but I'm sure that would be the general consensus in the UK too. Following any of those 3 options, would probably result in me being the ONLY BB user left in my circle of 1'000+ people that I have on FB, plus everyone else I know at Uni.
    03-04-11 08:36 PM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD