03-25-11 11:54 AM
115 1234 ...
tools
    Wow, yea if that is true, maybe a lot of BBers will step over to an other phone..
    03-03-11 11:21 AM
    BBM on other platforms. Android apps running on a Blackberry. now that's exciting!

even if BBM is offered on IOS or Android, i wouldn't be jumping ship, it's not the major factor why i prefer to use a blackberry.
    03-03-11 11:25 AM
    That's the rumor but we wont really know if and when we see BBM on other platforms. Hopefully it wont be a stripped down version.
    I agree. Definitely don't see the point of a stripped down version if people are already using another client with more features to talk to the same people.
    03-03-11 11:31 AM
    i wouldnt go back to using it either. I dont have enough BB friends left, they are all on android or iOS now too basically. There are alot of people that will just see this as another IM program. They do not know anything about BBM or BB for that matter. There has been talk about this for atleast a good year now too so im not sure if RIM really wants to go down this road with the current BB lineup. As mentioned i think BBM is what is keeping some people on their BBs right now as it is
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    03-03-11 11:32 AM
    Why would you not jump ship if you aren't tied to your company using BB? When you stare at a dual core 4g droid that can run my slingbox crystal clear AND now has BBM versus a 3g Blackberry tell me you'll stay. My phone premise as to why I'm still on my Storm 1 has been that the other phones were never a big enough upgrade and that if I waited long enough, RIM would release a phone that can run all these added apps that now exist for Droid and iOS. Did that happen? Nope but wasn't a game changer yet because I wanted to stay on BBM. I have already been considering 4g to be a game changer and now if you tell me I can have BBM on it too? Then theres no reason for me to stay.

And slimmed down version? Like what does that mean? No groups? I can live with that. No sending pics? I have unlimited pics messaging so if I want to send a pic I'll MMS it. To be honest I'm not even quite sure why I even love the texting portion of BBM so much but I do. As long as that exists with the D and R feature.. then hello 4g droid.
    dcorx likes this.
    03-03-11 11:39 AM
    IMO, RIM should be smart enough not to do this. They might lose some smartphone market share (for non-corporate users). I've been asking my friends who use BB and they ALL said that BBM was the only feature they want from BB phones.

But if RIM does it, I'd be happy to wait and see how good the next gen BB OS is before I go back to my android for its Google Nav. The rumor said the BBM for android will be out by the end of this year.
    03-03-11 11:41 AM
    IF Qnx turns out to be groundbreaking and revolutionary to the point where it generates a huge media buzz around it..thus bringing over iPhone and Android fans..then this could be a big plus.

However..generating media buzz isn't one of RIM's strongpoints. They like to generate buzz..and then let that buzz die down to the point know one cares anymore. Much like a magician fumbling around forgetting whether the pigeon is up his sleeve, in the hat, or down his pants. Or the comedian ruining his own punchline.

If they offer BBM as a full version for $4.99 or something then it could be a way of generating revenue from other platforms..but I definately see it affecting their "marketshare" as those on the fence can now happily jump to another platform and still use their favorite feature.

But these other IM's are already out there. I use Whatsapp (as do all my friends, family etc) which offers EVERYTHING bbm does (deliver/read, voice notes, video/pic sharing, group chat, push notification) AND is cross platform already. Not to mention its FREE.

Would I buy BBM on Android? Sure. Just to have it as a way of communicating with those few people who can't be bothered to try anything other than BBM.
    03-03-11 11:43 AM
    i like the idea...cross platform BBM this is a socail world now and RIM will make billions selling this to apple and android

this can only benefit RIM and bb users
    03-03-11 11:51 AM
    i like the idea...cross platform BBM this is a socail world now and RIM will make billions selling this to apple and android

this can only benefit RIM and bb users
    Not sure if they actually make money (or even a lot) by making this available. If it's treated like other apps then Apple/Google will make money off every purchase (given that it's not free). Maybe RIM will have an agreement or something but I don't see why Apple or Google would pay tons for this UNLESS they see it as a way to get blackberry customer which is an investment they'll gladly take if it's worth it.

It's interesting to see now RIM is willing to play nice with Apple and Google after being closed and taking pride in having certain things only a blackberry users can experience.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-03-11 at 12:24 PM.
    03-03-11 11:56 AM
    Not really happy about this if true...its one of the things that make a blackberry a blackberry along with the email features etc. Making it cross platform is a step in the wrong direction imho....keep it blackberry RIM....you have whatsapp and other cross platform messaging systems so why do it to BBM...its no longer going to be called Blackberry messenger because on an iphone or Android it wont make any sense to keep that name.

Not good RIM not good
    03-03-11 12:21 PM
    If this happens, it will definately push me in the direction of switching over to a droid based phone. The only thing left that will keep me a BB user is the battery life and if the Droid companies figure out how to keep their phones running for days rather than just hours then I will more than likely be leaving BB unless the new phones coming out impress me enough.
    03-03-11 12:28 PM
    its no longer going to be called Blackberry messenger because on an iphone or Android it wont make any sense to keep that name.
    It's the name of the software. The device which it is on does not matter. RIM/BlackBerry still makes it. I doubt they want to call it "RIM Messenger", because more people know the name BlackBerry than RIM.
    03-03-11 12:42 PM
    If this actually happens and is widely adopted, it will give even more users a chance to see how frustrating a rim outage is.

They better beef up their servers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 12:51 PM
    This sounds like a good idea, I don't see why RIM wouldn't want to release their app to other platforms. I really don't see it being any different then Apple allowing itunes or safari on non Apple Computers.

You can't force people to use your smartphone / computer to run your applications, so make the people happy and give them alternatives. Sounds like great business strategy to me.

I'm pretty sure after years and years of being in business RIM knows what they are doing by releasing BBM to the MILLIONS. How many iphone users in world? 20 30 40 50 million? .99 cent app on a yearly fee ( same this whatsapp does for bb user ) .... RIM gets a quarter of the user to buy the app, 5million ppl based on 20mil, $5million profit, minus what they would have to share with apple. Sounds good to me .... and then we add our Droid friends to the mix.……………….. Money Money Money.

Sounds like a nice profit on application that is being HEAVY advertised recently. Seems that RIMS strategy is to advertise BBM to the mass with all their TV ads …. BBM FLIRT 
    03-03-11 01:29 PM
    This sounds like a good idea, I don't see why RIM wouldn't want to release their app to other platforms. I really don't see it being any different then Apple allowing itunes or safari on non Apple Computers.
    It's a huge difference when BBM is a major reason why many blackberry users still stick with their devices. That's not the same as having iTunes or Safari on PCs because Apple isn't risking losing Mac users to PC just for these apps. When a person dumps a computer platform, it's for more than an app. But since this is a big reason many users still keep their blackberries that makes this totally different.
    03-03-11 01:34 PM
    why get a blackberry when a better phone right next to it, wether its Android 4g or Iphone 5 is sittin there with BBM
    03-03-11 01:36 PM
    I think all these claims that bbm on other platforms will lead to a mass exodus are just unfounded hyperbole from people looking to bash rim for something else while keeping up their quotas of negative posts for the day. This whole meme that bbm is the only worthwhile thing about blackberry remains as tedious as ever when people continue to trot it out.

While they may lose some people, the odds are that most of those would have gone anyway as there isn't a single app on any platform that would keep somebody there for good.
    03-03-11 01:43 PM
    BBM is a major reason people have blackberry's and it will also be a major $$$ for RIM when they release it to our platforms. Apple knew the had to release itunes to PC's cause it would generate more $$$ for them then forcing ppl to buy a MAC .... BBM will generate more $$$ for RIM then buying a blackberry.

It's all personal option on what is a better phone .... Don't see why an Andriod 4g or iPhone 5 is better then a blackberry. They all have a market they cater too.

RIM has just added another market of people by releasing BBM .... If they do
    03-03-11 01:46 PM
    I think all these claims that bbm on other platforms will lead to a mass exodus are just unfounded hyperbole from people looking to bash rim for something else while keeping up their quotas of negative posts for the day.

While they may lose some people, the odds are that most of those would have gone anyway as there isn't a single app on any platform that would keep somebody there for good.
    How can you say that? There are posts on this site every day saying that BBM is the only reason they still have a BB. There are people who even switched back from other platforms JUST because they missed BBM.

I don't think anyone is posting here just for the sake of being negative. It is just an opinion base don what people hear/see on this site of from people they know. I know several people who want to switch to Android but stick with BBs because of BBM, even though I tell them there are apps just like it, but they have a big BBM list and do not want to change app. If they can get BBM on an Android device they will be gone in a second.
    03-03-11 01:47 PM
    Apple knew the had to release itunes to PC's cause it would generate more $$$ for them then forcing ppl to buy a MAC .
    Apple had to release iTunes because before the iPod there was no reason to need iTunes. But since they probably didn't expect the success they had with iPod and subsequent gadgets they had to so people would buy their iPods and stuff but not so people won't leave MAC for PC. People don't switch computers platforms for a media application. If anything Apple put iTunes on Windows so it will make iPods more appealing to everyone, not to keep mac users.

RIM on the other hand will have to deal with people that are on the fence about leaving and BBM is a major thing keeping them. These are 2 totally different scenarios because it's easier to switch phones than make an expensive change to a different computer platform. Apple wasn't worried about Mac users leaving they were more concerned with PC users purchasing their products.

RIM could probably make a good amount of money from this but I'm not sure it's worth the risking of giving more people a reason to defect. Device sales are more important than 4.99 app downloads because most people on iOS and Android will see it as just another IM app and no need to pay for another one when I already have my contacts on something else.
    03-03-11 01:54 PM
    How can you say that? There are posts on this site every day saying that BBM is the only reason they still have a BB. There are people who even switched back from other platforms JUST because they missed BBM.
    My point isn't that there isn't some comments that people have stayed or returned due to bbm, but people trying to claim that it is going to be a significant amount are making the crucial mistake of thinking that anecdote is the singular of data.

I don't think anyone is posting here just for the sake of being negative. It is just an opinion base don what people hear/see on this site of from people they know. I know several people who want to switch to Android but stick with BBs because of BBM, even though I tell them there are apps just like it, but they have a big BBM list and do not want to change app. If they can get BBM on an Android device they will be gone in a second.
    Are you for real, there are a number of posters who seem to live to jump in with negative comments about any possible subject and indeed some even abuse or try to ridicule anyone who might dare to consider the blackberry as a good platform and the right option for them without them being clueless and/or not knowing what ios or android offers, it is by far one of the most annoying things on this site which still claims to be for blackberry.
    03-03-11 01:57 PM
    My point isn't that there isn't some comments that people have stayed or returned due to bbm, but people trying to claim that it is going to be a significant amount are making the crucial mistake of thinking that anecdote is the singular of data.
    I'm not saying mass exodus, but they will lose A LOT of customers.

Are you for real, there are a number of posters who seem to live to jump in with negative comments about any possible subject and indeed some even abuse or try to ridicule anyone who might dare to consider the blackberry as a good platform and the right option for them without them being clueless and/or not knowing what ios or android offers, it is by far one of the most annoying things on this site which still claims to be for blackberry.
    I'm talking about this thread so far, not the other threads.
    03-03-11 01:59 PM
    I don't think there will be a mass exodus but you will have given those on the fence a reason to lean more to another platform is BBM was the main sticking point for that person. I think that's feasible.
    03-03-11 02:05 PM
    Give me a break. Very rarely does anyone ridicule anyone for using a Blackberry. More often it's just people pointing out flaws with RIM/BB and users take these platform criticisms to heart. Rather than being subjective about things (as most people who have used BB's but are using different platforms now are), most BB users just seem to have the "RIM is perfect because it works for me" attitude. Which is great that it does what you need it to do..but there is nothing wrong with admitting short comings in a phone either. Every platform has them.
    scorpiodsu and Machzy like this.
    03-03-11 02:16 PM
    So, Playbook supporting Android apps and Android OS supporting BBM. RIM is clearly moving towards cross platform compatibility and communication.

Will bb users immediately jump ship? No, not necessarily.

The iPhone 4 is a great phone, real nice but there's no keyboard. There are some nice Android phones out there too, in fact the Droid Pro almost got me if it weren't for the so-so battery life and plagued problems with exchange push emails. While my 9700 isn't perfect nor is it cutting edge, I like my Blackberry for a number of reasons of which no other phone currently provides.

My top priorities in a phone:

- communications performance (phone, email, messaging)
    - battery life
    - compact build with hard keyboard (nothing like pressing a real button)

Apps and games come second for me.

Ultimately, I think this is step in the right direction, where everyone can just talk to each other no matter the phone OS or service operator. Voice communication is on track, but instant mobile messaging via ancient SMS technology is in serious need of an overhaul. Enter a universal "BBM" to bring us all together and up to speed.
    Last edited by ewuzh; 03-03-11 at 02:29 PM.
    03-03-11 02:21 PM
115 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD