03-25-11 10:54 AM
115 123 ...
tools
    Wow. Not sure this is a good move on RIM's part, if true:

Exclusive: BlackBerry Messenger will launch on Android and iOS | BGR
    03-03-11 08:52 AM
    Wow, multiple threads already opened; mods please close this one.
    03-03-11 08:53 AM
    Wow, i was gonna say to delete all but the first one, but we all posted at the exact same minute it seems haha.

lets just use this one

im not sure what to think..
    it's a gamble. many bbm users will probably migrate to an iphone or android i think even if they get less featured versions of bbm
    03-03-11 09:01 AM
    I thought they should have done this a long time ago so it's nice to see that it will probably come to fruition. And it should. It helps make it a better platform overall, why give other third parties the opportunity when you have software that can be a lot more popular by brand name alone.
    03-03-11 09:07 AM
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out if true. What I'd be most curious about is whether or not Apple would accept BBM into the AppStore.
    03-03-11 09:10 AM
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out if true. What I'd be most curious about is whether or not Apple would accept BBM into the AppStore.
    I don't see why not. Apple doesn't have it's own IM system in place, and they know tons of BB users are hanging on to their BB just because of BBM. Allowing it would be an easy way to gobble up customers from RIM.
    03-03-11 09:12 AM
    I see the good and bad with this for RIM. Good is that more users can now use your program. Bad is that it gives those users that were hanging on to blackberry mostly because of BBM. Now they can go to another platform and still have their favorite blackberry feature. I'm not sure if creating a possible exodus is worth having the client on all platforms. We will see.

I can say for myself that if/when it becomes available on another platform, I won't use it. I don't have any more friends on blackberry and having to get everyone to get the app and add each other is like starting from scratch with any of the other clients. Especially if it's stripped down then it will have less features than what's already available. Again, we will see.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-03-11 at 09:24 AM.
    03-03-11 09:21 AM
    I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not. Apparently its stripped down so they won't have full BBM capabilities. Could be something to start to get people hooked on BBM, and then when QNX phones come out, they can say why not get a better OS and full BBM too.
    03-03-11 09:22 AM
    I see more of a massive exodus from RIM to iOS and Android.

Many stay with their BB's because of BBM, if true, they can have a choice to move on to other platforms.
    03-03-11 09:22 AM
    Nothing exciting to me.
    03-03-11 09:27 AM
    I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not. Apparently its stripped down so they won't have full BBM capabilities. Could be something to start to get people hooked on BBM, and then when QNX phones come out, they can say why not get a better OS and full BBM too.
    Yeah that's true but I'm not sure who would switch for an IM client. It's one thing to stay with a platform because you like the client (and the platform) but it's another thing to leave one platform to go to another just for their IM client. I know I don't consider an IM client when switching devices because I'll find a convenient way to talk to those I want to talk to.
    03-03-11 09:28 AM
    It doesn't surprise me. They were already talking about expanding BES to allow other devices to link in (I think it was called BlackBerry Balance). This would just expand something they were already working on.
    03-03-11 09:33 AM
    People also have to understand that this isn't only about offering features to other phone users, it's about having presence. Why do you think Google releases most of their apps in the app store, and so on. iOS devices are hugely popular and Android as well, having that Blackberry presence in those stores is a good idea.
    rollingrock1988 and Machzy like this.
    03-03-11 09:39 AM
    People also have to understand that this isn't only about offering features to other phone users, it's about having presence. Why do you think Google releases most of their apps in the app store, and so on. iOS devices are hugely popular and Android as well, having that Blackberry presence in those stores is a good idea.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they're hoping for a halo affect, where people who had never given BB a though might do so based on actually experiencing one of RIM's cooler apps. Otherwise, it's kind of a risky move.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 09:47 AM
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they're hoping for a halo affect, where people who had never given BB a though might do so based on actually experiencing one of RIM's cooler apps. Otherwise, it's kind of a risky move.

No halo effect if it's a stripped down version.
    03-03-11 09:49 AM
    Well think about it if it does happen how many people would be a user of it what 200million if not more by then now that is a lot of users and add in video chat and all the other features its been rumored to get and add maybe advertising to it it could become the largest social platform in the world
    03-03-11 09:52 AM
    Surprising for sure. I am not sure what to think about this. I'd like to hear some sort of official announcement. Of course they'll have to explain their reasoning to their shareholders.

Kind of insane...

Edit:

I also wanted to mention that this is probably becoming available because of their decision to allow android apps to run on BBOs. Easy to port etc.
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 03-03-11 at 10:09 AM.
    03-03-11 09:56 AM
    Well think about it if it does happen how many people would be a user of it what 200million if not more by then now that is a lot of users and add in video chat and all the other features its been rumored to get and add maybe advertising to it it could become the largest social platform in the world
    Sure that's possible but that assumes people that don't use BBM now are willing to start from scratch with a stripped down version of it. Not sure how many people that don't use BBM are willing to get another IM client and hope all their friends get it as well. With all the other clients and even now facebook chat, people aren't looking for another client. This seems to mostly appeal to current blackberry users, former ones who miss BBM, and those that have a lot of friends that use BBM. Which is probably a good number of users but probably not compared to the number of users that don't care at all.
    03-03-11 09:59 AM
    Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to know how many of you will jump over because of this and completely abandon BlackBerry?
    03-03-11 10:05 AM
    "At the same time, RIM could own the entire messaging app category on every major smartphone OS platform and could potentially draw new users in because it has given them a taste of what BlackBerry Messenger is all about."
    = halo affect.

Guaranteed? No. And granted, owning the entire messaging app category is a bit of an ambitious statement, but the point is that this is the potential that RIM sees as worth the risk.

Last edited by 18to12fitty; 03-03-11 at 10:12 AM.
    03-03-11 10:09 AM
    Wouldn't a lot of people just go with this as it's free and will soon be available for BB (already available for Android and iPhone):

LiveProfile - Stay Connected
    03-03-11 10:13 AM
    BBM is the ONLY reason why I recently switched from Android. If this is true, I will more likely go back to android. Depending on how good the next gen BB OS is. I miss Google navigation.
    03-03-11 10:15 AM
    That's the rumor but we wont really know if and when we see BBM on other platforms. Hopefully it wont be a stripped down version.
    03-03-11 10:16 AM
    Wouldn't a lot of people just go with this as it's free and will soon be available for BB (already available for Android and iPhone):

LiveProfile - Stay Connected
    I doubt it. The value in BBM is its already huge user base. It'll be even tougher for these start-ups to gain traction.
    03-03-11 10:18 AM
    BBM is the ONLY reason why I recently switched from Android. If this is true, I will more likely go back to android. Depending on how good the next gen BB OS is. I miss Google navigation.
    From past history I wouldn't expect anything spectacular.
    03-03-11 10:19 AM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD