Sorry for my ignorance. Got my first BB yesterday.

My last smartphone would access my email via a send / receive command.
    the BB, in contrast, gets email pushed from the server. So there is no send / receive.

Now, i'm someone who was trying to limit my cell phone bill and wanted an option to check my email only when i'm out of town. Given that I have a microsoft exchange email account, i can ONLY access that email account through BES?

And there is no way to regulate how often i check my email to keep costs down, correct? So BB users who use email must get BIS or BES access?

thanks for your time and wisdom
    10-16-08 05:25 PM
    if you have a blackberry plan to have the email pushed to you, i don't think it uses data services...it's all part of the plan.

BES is for business email accounts//BIS is for personal use
    10-16-08 05:45 PM
    You can still get your Exchange email through a BIS account.

When you go to setup the BIS account, put in your work email.. it'll auto detect your Exchange server settings based off the @blah.com you put in, and connect in.

This only syncs emails, and contacts I believe.
    10-16-08 06:23 PM
    The short answer to your question is yes, you need BIS/BES access to get your e-mail, and no, you can't just query when you want to, it's always pushed down.

The long answer is, if you really want to, you can get an IMAP client to do the old, inefficient "pull" method and use a non BB data plan. Don't quote me on this, though. Keep in mind that the BB solution is much, much more efficient for e-mail, and you can optimize it more if you want (for instance, only send message headers).
    10-16-08 07:41 PM
    what you can also do is go to options > mobile network > and change data services to off. this way it will not use any data. otherwise you can go to email settings and remove the address then just set it back up when you go out of town and it will start recieving again
    10-16-08 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD