01-27-11 03:42 PM
34 12
tools
    SD card slot would be nice
    01-27-11 05:38 AM
    Just out of genuine curiosity, what specs would you like to see change? Side by side with the xoom, the pb has the best specs out there- the screen size being the only major difference. I guess what I am saying is is that if the playbook isn't up to snuff, are you just waiting for the tablet market to evolve and improve throughout? As of today, nothing has better specs in the tablet market.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    For me, the lack of a card slot is essentially the show stopper. I would consider the PB if it had one. My other concern is, or was, the availability of apps. Seems they may become more compatible with some apps that are written for Androids. For instance, my bank has an app for the Ipad and Android, but no BB app. Unfortunately, that is all too common with RIM products, although it is getting better. There are also too many unknowns with this device and nobody from RIM is in a position to answer or more likely know what the answers are, again unfortunate. At least the forerunner of the Honeycomb has been running on devices for a while now,albeit, on phones. From what I understand QNX has never been run on mobile devices before. These are just some things that make me a bit wary, whether it's justified or not. I plan on running whatever tab I buy for a few years and I want to make the best decision I can.
    01-27-11 08:37 AM
    Does BBM go towards data usage?

I really don't see the point of BBM anymore when you can use skype,msn message, yahoo and others that will allow you to converse with friends who don't have BBM.

Care to give me a quick run down why it stands out? I'm curious. I've seen it but don't know what sets it apart
    I can't really set WHY it is different, I keep trying other IM clients, but none of them keep me like BBM does, as friends move away from blackberry's I talk to them far less as I don't remember to fire off and SMS when I'm flying into town, nor do I remember to boot up IM app X.

BBM would be data but its extremely small usage

BBM data uses about half the data of other IM apps, or at least IM apps available on the iOS platform. This is an approximation based on 2 Canadians being in the US for 1 week and our data usage being Billed in 1MB blocks we notices that I used 4MB of data with BBM he used 7MB of data using 2 or 3 IM apps,
    volume of messages sent, I was probably 20% more messages sent than he was,
    01-27-11 09:01 AM
    For me, the lack of a card slot is essentially the show stopper. I would consider the PB if it had one. My other concern is, or was, the availability of apps. Seems they may become more compatible with some apps that are written for Androids. For instance, my bank has an app for the Ipad and Android, but no BB app. Unfortunately, that is all too common with RIM products, although it is getting better. There are also too many unknowns with this device and nobody from RIM is in a position to answer or more likely know what the answers are, again unfortunate. At least the forerunner of the Honeycomb has been running on devices for a while now,albeit, on phones. From what I understand QNX has never been run on mobile devices before. These are just some things that make me a bit wary, whether it's justified or not. I plan on running whatever tab I buy for a few years and I want to make the best decision I can.
    Ah okay excellent points. I do rather regret a lack of it. I won't be looking forward to having to tether or rely on email attatchments to transfer files. I am rather surprised at this decision on rim's part, as one of their claims to fame is the micro sd card comparability with their cell phones. Surely -1 to rim's score card. This will be a very competitive market, and I bet this will be the first thing addressed in the next generation of playbook.

Which won't be out till 2013.

01-27-11 09:04 AM
    I have had BB's for years and have never used BBM. Have always used AIM which works on any phone or computer, therefore never a problem communicating. I only have one friend out of many that even has a BB. They all have Iphones or Android based devices. So I guess it is a good thing I never got into the BBM mode. If I was interested in the PB, which I'm not, it wouldn't matter one way or the other. Wi-fi only will be just fine for me, PIN or not.
    And as I said, there are tens of millions of people who use BBM. If you don't use it and have no intention of buying a PB then you really only need to state these things once.

01-27-11 09:41 AM
    I have 2 BlackBerrys currently, and I only use BBM on one of them. Having 2 BBMs is confusing for everyone. Trust me, you won't want to have a separate BBM on your PlayBook. It would take away from part of the main appeal of BBM. With BBM, you know you are sending a message to the person's phone which is always on and always available to them. The reason BBM is better than AIM, MSN, and the others is because you know where the message is going and that it will be received.
    01-27-11 10:44 AM
    I have 2 BlackBerrys currently, and I only use BBM on one of them. Having 2 BBMs is confusing for everyone. Trust me, you won't want to have a separate BBM on your PlayBook. It would take away from part of the main appeal of BBM. With BBM, you know you are sending a message to the person's phone which is always on and always available to them. The reason BBM is better than AIM, MSN, and the others is because you know where the message is going and that it will be received.
    I thought about that too. If I didn't have a bb but wanted bbm then that is different but on that note how many people without a bb will want the messenger?

I don't know. Maybe people are just looking for something to gripe about.

The Legendary likes this.
    01-27-11 02:13 PM
    I thought about that too. If I didn't have a bb but wanted bbm then that is different but on that note how many people without a bb will want the messenger?

I don't know. Maybe people are just looking for something to gripe about.

I agree, and if I'm not mistaken the 4G one sprint, and other carriers this summer, release this summer will have BBM without tethering, so those who want both worlds (BBM and Android or iPhone) will just buy the one with cell bands.
    01-27-11 02:50 PM
    I have 2 cousins that have had BB's for years. One has one for work email the other has one because it's the IN thing.

Neither one of them had a clue when I asked them for their PINs so I could add them to bbm.

REALITY CHECK: I have one work contact and one personal contact in my BBM. I could easily live without it. I don't "chat" much from my phone, just send some SMS texts once in a while.

But then, I'm not a 15-28 year old "girl" that can't put it down even in church. LOL.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 01-27-11 at 03:45 PM.
    01-27-11 03:42 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD