06-16-11 08:10 AM
42 12
tools
    So a small little rant. I've been waiting for RIM's newest all touchscreen device since... well I can't even remember when I first heard rumor of it. I'm on Verizon and have no wish to go AT&T. So I stuck with S1 for the longest time, eventually broke down earlier this year and got an S2 even though there were a decent amount of rumors of an all touch screen device comming (the monaco).

Still sitting around waiting for it. Seems like I was waiting for it, this time last year and I'm starting to feel like a fool. Simply because androids are catching up with what a BB can do and so is the iPhone. Everything I used to say "Yeah well my BB can do this and yours can't"... that list is dwindling big time. Then add in the application list for each. Android and iPhone have an ever expanding app list, the 2 most common platforms I see apps listed on. I saw RayWilliamJohnson even has an app for both. At this point I gotta question if people even consider making BB apps as an option.

And now as of late... the iPhone5, has a release date. Seems like the iPhone4 was released and I was waiting for the monaco... and now the iPhone5 is coming out. And it seems like the time when rumors started about it and when it was announced to be released was fairly short.

Seems like when the phone I want comes out, it's going to be 2 years behind everyone else (at least hardware wise, unsure about feature wise).
    (Yes it's important for me to be all touch screen, I can't stand the qwerty keyboard)

Does anyone else feel like this? I'm not looking for someone to say when something is going to come out, cause if they knew that I'd expect they would have already told people. I'm just looking to see if anyone else kinda feels like a fool.
    ksmontoya and mssca like this.
    06-14-11 02:49 AM
    No I get it. A friend of mine was wanting to upgrade her 9000 yesterday. She asked what she should get. It really really pained me that I didn't have anything I could tell her to go buy from RIM. I could have told her to go buy a Torch (she's on AT&T) but at this point that phone's almost a year old. She isn't the type that goes and buys a new phone every other week. This is something she's committing to for the next two years. I couldn't with good conscience tell her to go buy a Torch and keep it for two years. But at the same time she wasn't about to wait "Question Mark" amount of time for some magic new Blackberry to fall out of the sky.

I never did hear if she decided on an Iphone or an Infuse but that's beside the point. It's just frustrating that there is really nothing to even point people to at the store anymore.
    06-14-11 03:17 AM
    Guys, RIM's stock price today just fell to its lowest level since October 2006. It's a sinking ship. Dead man walking.
    06-14-11 03:57 AM
    I think it will go back up. It almost has no where else to go. There are analysists adding fuel to the "sinking ship" fire. They are making it seem worse then it is. Sure it's not good that the stock is down but it will drive the company to come out with something to raise it back up.

I've had a few people ask me what to get when looking into a new phone. They asked about BlackBerry phones and I tell them to hold on for a little bit till the new ones come out. I feel its a waste to buy a new one right now. The best one if they did buy now would be the torch I guess. And then they could upgrade to the QNX ones in a year and a half or two years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-11 05:42 AM
    Oh my God, the stock price fell -- it's all over!

Lowest since 2006 -- means it was lower in 2006 (and before), yet RIM still lives and breathes...
    06-14-11 06:02 AM
    why do people always feel to share their "thoughts" ??
    there are at least 1000 threads like this
    06-14-11 06:09 AM
    why do people always feel to share their "thoughts" ??
    there are at least 1000 threads like this
    Give the guy a break - it looks like he's legitimately disappointed and not just bashing RIM.

Hang in there buddy. We are all in the same boat licking our chops for the new BB. Realistically we are probably looking at a Sept / Oct release date but the sooner the better obviously.
    06-14-11 06:15 AM
    Your story reminds me of the PlayBook. To be quite honest, I was actually looking forward to the Cisco Cius prior to hearing about the iPad or the PlayBook.

Well, iPad 1 came out, was hyped for the PlayBook to launch soon....

Then the iPad 2 came out and was getting a little bothered still waiting for the PlayBook.

Then it launched way before it was ready (even though other tablets were on their second generation hardware)... without an Email client! ...and I got laughed at.
    06-14-11 07:18 AM
    At this point I gotta question if people even consider making BB apps as an option.

Seems like when the phone I want comes out, it's going to be 2 years behind everyone else (at least hardware wise, unsure about feature wise).
    (Yes it's important for me to be all touch screen, I can't stand the qwerty keyboard)

Does anyone else feel like this? I'm not looking for someone to say when something is going to come out, cause if they knew that I'd expect they would have already told people. I'm just looking to see if anyone else kinda feels like a fool.
    I don't understand why anyone who "can't stand the qwerty keyboard" would still be using a Blackberry. It's the only reason I have for sticking with them. If you like touch screens the iPhone is a much better device.

BBM is almost useless for me now, most of my friends don't have BBs anymore.
    06-14-11 07:22 AM
    I don't understand why anyone who "can't stand the qwerty keyboard" would still be using a Blackberry. It's the only reason I have for sticking with them. If you like touch screens the iPhone is a much better device.

BBM is almost useless for me now, most of my friends don't have BBs anymore.
    You do know that RIM is slowly moving away from QWERTY keyboards as well, right?
    06-14-11 07:26 AM
    You do know that RIM is slowly moving away from QWERTY keyboards as well, right?
    you do know that this is not true, right?
    chiefbroski likes this.
    06-14-11 07:29 AM
    No, they are not.
    06-14-11 07:29 AM
    you do know that this is not true, right?
    It's an afterthought now, I went to the University of Waterloo, I know about 2 dozen RIM employees. They are phasing out QWERTY on all their flag ship phones and keeping it on their crappy phones... they even hint and poke at it publically:

I can tell you that its going to come in to the higher tier value propositions first. Itll probably come into an all-touch first, more than likely but I cant tell you timings specifically. But it looks marvelous!

Plans are AFAIK to eventually remove it from their crap phones as well so they don't have to continue developing on multiple sets of hardware, they're streamlining their operations.
    06-14-11 07:32 AM
    i know about that quote, because i saw it on berryreview and made a thread about this
    you do realize that this is only happening because the only device which currently runs QNX, is the playbook (a full touscreen device), therefore it'll be easier to make QNX compatible with a smaller full touchscreen device (phone)

and if you read the quote again, do you see the word "first" ?
    Last edited by Seijuro; 06-14-11 at 07:42 AM.
    06-14-11 07:37 AM
    Bold line = high end, flagship device with full qwerty keyboard.
    Torch line = high end, current flagship device with a full qwerty keyboard.

Both have a new model coming out, with guess what? A full qwerty keyboard. Having a full keyboard is what makes a blackberry a blackberry. I highly doubt they will go away from this form factor.
    beamolite likes this.
    06-14-11 07:41 AM
    What's gonna be our excuse when RIM decides to have more touch screen smartphones than smartphones with keyboards? I can imagine so many of us are gonna be PISSED
    06-14-11 07:43 AM
    Bold line = high end, flagship device with full qwerty keyboard.
    Torch line = high end, current flagship device with a full qwerty keyboard.

Both have a new model coming out, with guess what? A full qwerty keyboard. Having a full keyboard is what makes a blackberry a blackberry. I highly doubt they will go away from this form factor.
    Neither are running QNX OS, their new models will not be able to upgraded to the QNX OS anyways.

Regardless, leave my post there so in a few years I can quote it back to you guys.
    06-14-11 07:43 AM
    It's an afterthought now, I went to the University of Waterloo, I know about 2 dozen RIM employees. They are phasing out QWERTY on all their flag ship phones and keeping it on their crappy phones... they even hint and poke at it publically:

I can tell you that its going to come in to the higher tier value propositions first. Itll probably come into an all-touch first, more than likely but I cant tell you timings specifically. But it looks marvelous!

Plans are AFAIK to eventually remove it from their crap phones as well so they don't have to continue developing on multiple sets of hardware, they're streamlining their operations.

WOW! what a load of bullocks!
    06-14-11 07:46 AM
    Neither are running QNX OS, their new models will not be able to upgraded to the QNX OS anyways.

Regardless, leave my post there so in a few years I can quote it back to you guys.
    And QNX is coming on handhelds when? Exactly what I thought no one knows. Could be 2012 could be never.

What I can see is having a combination of both, Torch, new bold 99XX. A full qwerty keyboard is what keeps most of us still hoping and clinging to the next RIM release. If we wanted an all touch screen device, iphone and several android devices do it much much better.
    ADGrant and AbuYazeedUK like this.
    06-14-11 07:49 AM
    If they do stop producing devices with high end keyboards (I doubt they will) that will make my decision about what to replace my current BB with much easier.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-14-11 08:01 AM

Horsehockey. They may be adding more higher-end touch-only models, but there's absolutely no *#@%ing way RIM abandons full QWERTY keyboards. You can keep this quote as long as you want - you won't be pulling it out of mothballs any time soon.

06-14-11 08:16 AM
    They would lose so many customers if they dropped the qwerty keyboard. I don't believe it for a second that they would even consider it. They know that its their bread and butter.

06-14-11 08:31 AM

“I can tell you that it’s going to come in to the higher tier value propositions first. It’ll probably come into an all-touch first, more than likely… but I can’t tell you timings specifically. But it looks marvelous!”

That quote is taken out of context and is refering to the first all touch QNX phone that should be coming out sometime in 2012... unless the world comes to an end before that!
    Why did you leave out the part when he said first QNX slate. He said nothing about removing the physical keyboard from all phones. You left that out on purpose to spread false rumors and BS.
    Last edited by Sparro; 06-14-11 at 08:50 AM.
    06-14-11 08:46 AM
    Kids today don't even know what a mouse is.

06-14-11 01:44 PM
    Are there really not that many people aware that full touchscreen devices (including iPhone) have Qwerty keyboards too?

Semantics I know... but it's one of those little details that gets to me.
    06-14-11 02:09 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD