I found it weird when BBM works even on wifi with 3G turned off. Hows that possible if bbm only works when your on a data plan?

one more question: When i am on apps like google map, skype or any third party app with both wifi and 3G turned on, how do i know which bandwidth its using? Can i choose?
    07-24-11 09:17 PM
    What version of bbm do u have? I don't have a data plan, and would love to get on bbm via wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 11:59 PM
    BBM, email and the browser all work through Wi-Fi with the cellular radio turned off. However, it will only work if you are registered through a carrier data plan.
    07-25-11 06:41 AM
    I'm using a Prepaid SIM Card with my Bold 9700 and I don't reload my SIM with any credit and never register a data plan (BIS).

But I can use BBM thru WiFi at home, school, malls, etc.

I don't know how or why though. It just magically came out of nowhere. It's weird cause I've been using it for months and I had to reload the SIM and register a daily or monthly BIS in order for me to use BBM but one day I just received a BBM even If I'm no longer registered (it expired). So I tried sending one and it worked. Ever since then, I was using WiFi spots for BBM.
    07-25-11 07:59 PM
    Same here, I was abroad a couple of times and received bbms even thought I had no service, only wifi I was scared though that when I came home that I'd have a huge phone bill but I didn't
    07-28-11 09:25 PM
    How is it that I never knew this. Currently im working offshore (South China Sea) I've had my phone sitting in my bag for 2 weeks + all last shift!
    So I get the idea to try out my wifi and during fooling around I get a BBM from a friend
    How is it that I never knew this?
    I believe I've been visiting CB for near 2 years now and never has anyone ever discussed this. All I ever heard was that you need a cell signal.
    09-17-12 03:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD