Hi all I have recently upgraded to BlackBerry 9700 bold, Im not to sure about BBM, I travel alot with my job and when I took my phone to Germany last week I could not use the BBM function. Is this because I turned my data services off while roaming as I didnt want to be charged for data being sent to my phone i.e. emails etc.

Please can anyone advice if there is a way to use BBM abroad without being charged.

Thanks

Will
    01-09-10 09:01 AM
    I don't think you can, only because bbm uses DATA services to send messages instead of messaging.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 09:49 AM
    BBM runs off data. Sorry.
    01-09-10 09:51 AM
    You will have to have data service to use BBM.

01-09-10 09:52 AM
    Yes, your correct. Your BBM didn't work in Germany is because you didn't have your data services enabled. There no way you can use BBM outside your country without being charged extra unless if you have some type of out of country/overseas data plan (no idea if they exist) or you go on some type of prepaid data plan in the country you are visiting.
    01-09-10 09:55 AM
    Won't BBM work with wifi-only? So if you were in the area of a hotspot or a wireless router, could you not essentially use BBM in that way?
    01-09-10 10:57 AM
    Won't BBM work with wifi-only? So if you were in the area of a hotspot or a wireless router, could you not essentially use BBM in that way?
    I thought it did I will have to test this
    01-09-10 11:06 AM
    My mom just left to go abroad and apparently on tmobile the 19 dollar add on my dad put for her phone includes bbm, but if she goes on the web browser it'll cost extra. Weird, but cool.

01-09-10 11:08 AM
    I found this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bbm-over-wifi-112465/

But I just tested it and it doesn't appear to work..
    01-09-10 11:41 AM
    I found this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bbm-over-wifi-112465/

But I just tested it and it doesn't appear to work..
    tried this on my onyx, it works...
    but when i tried on my fren's it doesnt...
    weird..
    01-09-10 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD