So I'm fairly new to Blackberry and after my iPhone suddenly died two months ago, I decided to get the BB Torch. I used to have a Pearl two years ago and didn't really like it. Anyway, I've never used BBM and I'm not sure what the advantage to BBM is versus just texting someone. Only a selet few of my friends use BB, my husband and in-laws all use iPhone. If someone could point out the major differences between texting and BBM I'd be very grateful.

- Heather

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 08:34 AM
    IMO- not much...
    A few perks:
    -no character limit (that i know of): texts have 140 or so characters before the text gets broken up into multiple messages. somewhere along the tubes when sending multiple part texts, they seem to get sent out of order (from my personal experience)
    -if you travel abroad, you can chat over bbm via wifi with no extra charges vs roaming texting fees
    -status messages, able to hit do not disturb if you're doing something and wish to not be messaged.
    -be able to tell if your recipient has received/read the message (a bit of a double edged sword if you receive messages from obsessive people and just want to ignore them lol)
    -they seem to send faster than texts, more reliable - or you can at least see if your message failed to be delivered

those are a few off the top of my head. fellow hardcore blackberriers might be able to list a few more. otherwise, IMO, bbm is a glorified text message system. Its synonymous to instant messaging clients like msn or yahoo but you're always online, and it's built right into your phone.

Hope you're enjoying your torch so far though!
    11-10-10 08:41 AM
    BBM is free with your data plan, will show when a message is delivered and when opened (read is another matter ), does not incur international rates and can send and recieve a vast array of media formats and has "virtually" no charcter limit. You can also delet anyone that annoys you and never hear from them again.

Texting is not device dependet as BBM is.

Personally, I loathe texting.

Posted from my phone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-10-10 at 08:45 AM.
    11-10-10 08:42 AM
    Thanks guys! It just seems that with social networks like Twitter and Facebook coupled with texts, I wasn't sure what advantage BBM had. It's so easy to stay connected with people which is nice.

- Heather

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch.

11-10-10 08:49 AM
    just an aside...if you receive a BBM message from someone and dont want them to know youve read it and just want it gone...if you click 'End chat' will that just show as Delivered on their device or as read?
    11-10-10 08:53 AM
    It will only show as delivered. Only when you open it will it chage to Read.

Posted from my phone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 09:08 AM
    With BBM you can also send video's, pictures, files, voice notes etc..which is a great way to stay in touch with people. Yes..i know you can send pics via MMS but it's so much more convenient using BBM. My relatives pretty much all use BBM..so it's nice to send pics of my son doing everyday silly stuff to the grandparents and whatnot. It sure helps them feel connected.

On a sidenote..if all your other family members use iPhone..check out the app called Whatsapp..it works very much like BBM but between Blackberry and iPhone users. I use it with my wifes iPhone and it's soo much better than just conventional texting because again you can send pics and videos thru it.
    11-10-10 09:13 AM
    With BBM you can also send video's, pictures, files, voice notes etc..which is a great way to stay in touch with people. Yes..i know you can send pics via MMS but it's so much more convenient using BBM. My relatives pretty much all use BBM..so it's nice to send pics of my son doing everyday silly stuff to the grandparents and whatnot. It sure helps them feel connected.

On a sidenote..if all your other family members use iPhone..check out the app called Whatsapp..it works very much like BBM but between Blackberry and iPhone users. I use it with my wifes iPhone and it's soo much better than just conventional texting because again you can send pics and videos thru it.
    Thanks for the app suggestion for iPhone and BB users! I'll check it out!

Last edited by hmutt; 11-10-10 at 04:08 PM.
    11-10-10 09:23 AM

There is another inter platform BBM type app called Kik, never tried sending files, such as pics or through it though.
    11-10-10 11:30 AM
    BBM gives you access to groups. In groups, members can see all group conversations. Everyone gets to participate.

One more advantage is quick and easy use of emoticons.
    11-10-10 12:02 PM
    Also ... The ability to send Broadcast messages to several BlackBerry Messenger contacts and the ability to have a "conference" type conversation. That is, several people on one conversation. (You invite the BlackBerry Messenger contacts you want). I much prefer BlackBerry Messenger to text as I can set my status and (if the option is selected) they can also see what music I am listening to. I can even send the the song file via BlackBerry Messenger.

11-10-10 12:56 PM
    You can even share your calendar with your group ... Such as family members.

11-10-10 12:58 PM
    BBM is more reliable and a bit faster.

Texting can occasionally run into issues since it crosses from one providers sms server to another.

Not terribly uncommon to have occasional instances where certain text messages are randomly received hours after they were sent.
    11-10-10 01:03 PM
    In a nutshell...BBM is an IM pgm for blackberry users.

All of what everyone said about BBM make it awesome. Unfortunately, you don't have very many friends who use blackberry. I highly suggest investing in a little app called Whatsapp ($1.99/year)....

IM programme for smartphones. Your friends will have to get it too...but it's a cross platform data based messaging system, using...not names....but phone numbers. =)~

~LB
    11-10-10 02:44 PM
    You can also use AIM or WLM and add phone numbers. Only issue is that they receive the messages as sms

11-10-10 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD