Ok, Don't flame me, but I do not understand what the difference is between BBM and texting. Would someone fill me in with the basics?

thks
    11-09-11 11:16 AM
    BBM is BlackBerry only, so the other person will have to have a BB as well. You can send voice notes, photos and videos over BBM, have group chats, BBM groups. BBM also gives you delivered and read receipts and uses carrier data so no extra cost for SMS.
    11-09-11 11:27 AM
    There's also an element of personalisation, you can have a profile picture and personal message, also status' such as 'available' or 'busy' or a personalised one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 11:30 AM
    11-09-11 12:07 PM
    BBM is BlackBerry only, so the other person will have to have a BB as well. You can send voice notes, photos and videos over BBM, have group chats, BBM groups. BBM also gives you delivered and read receipts and uses carrier data so no extra cost for SMS.
    Actually if your contact doesn't have a BB you can run them through your BBM. You will not get the "received" and "delivered" notifications, but you can still run them through BBM. All the text messages through BBM go through RIM's servers. When you text SMS, those go through your carrier. So, if BBM goes down, you can still text your contacts.

My daughter has a 9800 and so does my brother-in-law. All the rest of my family are iPhones or other gadgets. I have them all go through BBM. When we had the last outage, I just sms'd them until BBM got back up and running.
    11-09-11 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD