10-15-10 05:40 AM
36 12
tools
    The only reason we have unlimited SMS/MMS plan is that one of our daughters doesn't have a BB, and lives on texting her friends. She's looking at a smart phone this Christmas, so that may change to GTalk (most of her friends have Androids).

I have over 40 BBM contacts, with a few friends outside the US. I'm on BBM every day, either in individual conversations, groups, or even group chats. With BBM, I dnt hv 2 mk up 4 sm txt lngth.

If you are chatting locally, with just a few people, then it makes sense to use SMS. If they have a different smart phone, it makes sense to use GTalk, or some other IM service. There are even native IM apps for BB, as well as multi-chat apps like Trillian and BeeJive that will help get around paying for SMS charges when you have friends who don't have unlimited messaging. If someone has a data plan and doesn't have unlimited SMS message, it makes more sense to use a chat method (BBM, GT, YM...) and not bring up the cost of your bill.
    10-14-10 08:07 AM
    How do you talk to people not on BBM?.....
    Why I use that little feature called "phone"......

10-14-10 08:15 AM
    I have read people talking about using groups in BBM. What does that entail? Is it just a conversation between multiple people?

I know this may be a dense question, but I have also seen the term group chat used when talking about BBM and didn't know if those were different terms or one in the same.
    10-14-10 08:24 AM
    I have read people talking about using groups in BBM. What does that entail? Is it just a conversation between multiple people?

I know this may be a dense question, but I have also seen the term group chat used when talking about BBM and didn't know if those were different terms or one in the same.
    When you send a message everybody in the group gets that message, if you create a calendar entry, everybody in the group gets it inserted in their group calendar, if you add a photo to the group everybody gets it, files, songs, voicenotes etc etc, they all get it. For free

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 08:31 AM
    Bbm is useful for me as i have friends using BBs living in UK and the US , so it's better for me to use bbm rather than text. For all my other friends living in france i use both ( i have unlimited text), depend if they're bb owner or not;
    10-14-10 08:47 AM
    When you send a message everybody in the group gets that message, if you create a calendar entry, everybody in the group gets it inserted in their group calendar, if you add a photo to the group everybody gets it, files, songs, voicenotes etc etc, they all get it. For free

Thanks....that is pretty cool.
    10-14-10 08:58 AM
    I think BBM is cool if you can use it. I know very few Bb users and with sending and receiving a lot of texts each day it was a pain to keep to with another messaging system. An then groups function is nice but drained my battery fast
    10-14-10 09:59 AM
    I am in 2 BBM groups, both of which are active. The only time I notice battery drain is if a new member joins a group, or if somebody needs to be re-added if he loses the group after an OS upgrade.
    10-14-10 10:10 AM
    I use Yahoo Messenger if I remember to sign in and bother to check it.

Unfortunately the people who don't have BlackBerrys don't get as much attention from me.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Thanks for answering that for me Laura, exactly what she said!!
    10-14-10 10:40 AM
    To me BBM is just another social network haha! I text ALOT, and I talk on BBM more than texting. It's a good way to keep me entertained when im bored and at work. And of course the fact that it is free. My phone is for business and personal use, and I dont have unlimited texting which is weird. So I use bbm to talk to any friends and family that have it as well
    10-14-10 10:59 PM
    I don't use bbm but its a good/better option to have than some
    Other useless features we've all seen . Plus I refuse to use/accept
    Sms texts on principal. Try doing a search on the true costs
    Of sms texting.

10-15-10 05:40 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD