10-15-10 05:40 AM
36 12
tools
    This is a general question about the benefits of BBM vs SMS.

I have seen a lot of people tout BBM as a reason to stay with a Blackberry device as opposed to something else. I am a former Blackberry user (9000 & 9700, would still have my 9800 if RIM could get the hardware issues worked out) and going from those devices where I did use BBM to my iPhone where I obviously don't....I really don't notice any difference. Outside of the D/R notification (which I always thought was kind of intrusive), what are benefits of BBM over SMS to everyone else? I get that texts cost $$ where the data for BBM doesn't, but most folks seem to have unlimited texts these days anyway so I have a hard time latching on to that line of thinking.

Just trying to get an idea of what others think and if I am just overlooking something obvious.
    10-13-10 12:41 PM
    I don't pay for txt, so my advantage is BBM.
    10-13-10 12:47 PM
    How do you talk to people not on BBM? I'm not sure if I am in the minority here, but I know just as many people with iPhones or Android based phones than I do with Blackberry devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-10 12:52 PM
    I have a lot of friends/family with BBM. We've tested the time it takes to get a BBM and to get a SMS. BBM is faster by a noticeable difference. Not to mention BBM is longer than 160, Which most phones still are stuck on 160. Profile pics, status, groups, all the emoticons D,R, ...is writing. You really can't compare BBM with SMS. SMS is just really primitive compared to BBM.

BBM only has one drawback and that is not everyone has it.
    Last edited by Witmen; 10-13-10 at 01:46 PM.
    10-13-10 01:41 PM
    I look towards using BBM more than SMS when it comes to messaging most people (who have BBs). The main reasons are:

• Not limited to 140/160 characters per message.
    • The D/R notifications come in really handy. My wife works at a hospital and can't always read messages right away. I can look at the notifications and can tell if she is busy or not.
    • Sending photos back and forth (wife at clothing store: which one do you like better?).
    • Using BBM Groups

With BBM Groups, we do a lot of things:
    • Family calendar to keep track of family events we all need to attend.
    • Keeping a grocery list. Anybody can add items to the grocery list. Whoever goes to the store has the list and can check things off.
    • We have additional lists for household chores and projects, as well as Christmas/birthday wish lists.

For us, it is much more than just sending text messages.
    10-13-10 01:50 PM
    Biggest reasons for me are character limit, inviting multiple people to the conversation, and cost. Many of my messages go outside the U.S. Even unlimited sms plans charge you for international sms. BBM does not.

I do think BBM is somewhat interchangeable with other IM clients though.
    10-13-10 01:52 PM
    How do you talk to people not on BBM? I'm not sure if I am in the minority here, but I know just as many people with iPhones or Android based phones than I do with Blackberry devices.

I use Yahoo Messenger if I remember to sign in and bother to check it.

Unfortunately the people who don't have BlackBerrys don't get as much attention from me.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-13-10 02:23 PM
    BBM only has one drawback and that is not everyone has it.
    That's a plus in my book... blackberry can have it... Google Talk/Yahoo IM/ AIM is cross platform with Smart phones...

And try BBMing someone with a non Blackberry... it won't happen... it cannot happen...

for those reasons alone SMS/MMS for the WIN.. .. ..
    10-13-10 02:32 PM
    That's a plus in my book... blackberry can have it... Google Talk/Yahoo IM/ AIM is cross platform with Smart phones...

LAnd try BBMing someone with a non Blackberry... it won't happen... it cannot happen...

for those reasons alone SMS/MMS for the WIN.. .. ..

So its a plus that you don't have bbm? That makes zero sense. Lol. BlackBerry users have , aim, msn, gtalk ect. Just like everyone else. but only BlackBerry users get bbm. how can you having one less IM option available to you be considered a plus?

Also having bbm doesn't magically make SMS/MMS stop working. In fact you can use your SMS contacts with bbm. So it looks like your bbming them.

Last edited by Witmen; 10-13-10 at 03:52 PM.
    10-13-10 03:46 PM
    So its a plus that you don't have bbm? That makes zero sense. Lol. BlackBerry users have , aim, msn, gtalk ect. Just like everyone else. but only BlackBerry users get bbm. how can you having one less IM option available to you be considered a plus?

Also having bbm doesn't magically make SMS/MMS stop working. In fact you can use your SMS contacts with bbm. So it looks like your bbming them.

1) i know one person /in real life/ that uses blackberry. So why would i want an option that doesn't work with everyone.
    2) BES/BIS is down so frequently that it almost makes it unreliable, as long as you have signal you can SMS someone. And without BIS/BES options like Android/Apple/WinMo as long as we have data we have peer to peer.
    Last edited by mjneid; 10-13-10 at 03:58 PM.
    10-13-10 03:54 PM
    Dude an option is an option because its optional! Lol. If you don't know anyone with bbm then don't use it. Either way having the option is still better than not having the option.

And are you serious? I've lost BIS for maybe an hour that I know of in the 4 years I've used a BlackBerry.

10-13-10 03:59 PM
    Dude an option is an option because its optional! Lol. If you don't know anyone with bbm then don't use it. Either way having the option is still better than not having the option.

And are you serious? I've lost BIS for maybe an hour that I know of in the 4 years I've used a BlackBerry.

I am serious are you aware that there are several server bays scattered throughout the planet. Just because "you" have good service doesn't mean everyone does.

And having the option and not being able to use it, is like owning a RUF modified Porsche 944 and living in NYC... sure you can use it.... once every blue moon.
    10-13-10 04:15 PM
    The only real advantage of BBM is the ability to transfer large files (around 6mb).

Groups were interesting but made my 9630 lag terribly on a frequent basis.

The biggest downside is that non-BB folks can't use it, whereas other options work well between platforms. Gtalk would be nice because then whether folks are on a pc or their handheld you could chat with them.

SMS is handy since it is essentially niversal without needing anything special to use it and even dumbphones can use it.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-13-10 at 04:20 PM.
    10-13-10 04:17 PM
    BIS outages are becoming the new battery pull lol.

10-13-10 04:20 PM
    For me BBM is kind of a waste now. I'm actually going to delete it from my phone. I like it, but the only other person I know who was a user just dumped her BB, so now I have no BBM contacts. Sucks because she was the one person who I most needed to use BBM with (deaf woman). Communicating with her via texting is a PITA!
    10-13-10 04:22 PM
    I am serious are you aware that there are several server bays scattered throughout the planet. Just because "you" have good service doesn't mean everyone does.

And having the option and not being able to use it, is like owning a RUF modified Porsche 944 and living in NYC... sure you can use it.... once every blue moon.
    ah, that's a p i s s poor comparison--having BBM on one's phone doesn't increase the cost, and for anyone with contacts that have BBM, it's an EXCELLENT means of texting. SMS is a fall-back for contacts not on BBM.

I use BBM every day.
    10-13-10 04:25 PM
    ah, that's a p i s s poor comparison--having BBM on one's phone doesn't increase the cost, and for anyone with contacts that have BBM, it's an EXCELLENT means of texting. SMS is a fall-back for contacts not on BBM.

I use BBM every day.
    How is a porrt comparison?

Okay Owning a STOCK Corvette in NYC.... Owning a Mustang GT... or a Camero SS .... what ever have you... you still cannot use it. so why bother having it.

I know that i am swimming upstream here on a Blackberry forum. But having BBM is good when your whole family/friends circle uses it... calendar, notes, conversation is easily in one place. but for someone who would be a lone ranger.... what good does it do?
    10-13-10 04:31 PM
    BBM has been sold to BB users who now feel they can't live without it. The fact is, SMS/MMS does the exact same thing except the receiver can have any phone they want to and aren't limited to Blackberry. It's a hoax. Now said users feel they can't live without it. Steve Jobs does. I'm sure you can too but maybe I'm just spitballing there who knows.
    10-13-10 05:10 PM
    BBM has been sold to BB users who now feel they can't live without it. The fact is, SMS/MMS does the exact same thing
    Holy crap! When did SMS/MMS get groups, profile pics, status messages, D, R, ...is writting, calendar, categories, chats and barcodes? its a great time in technology.

10-13-10 05:43 PM
    Holy crap! When did SMS/MMS get groups, profile pics, status messages, D, R, ...is writting, calendar, categories, chats and barcodes? its a great time in technology.

IT did when it only affects one person you know with Blackberries.

10-13-10 08:15 PM
    I have over 40 contacts, so I utilize it quite often.

I actually use more than BBM though as I know other people with different phones and then my family with many different phones, so we just use SMS, which is considerably slower than BBM....

BBM IMO is the best IM around. Lighting fast, bigger transfer files, groups(yes I lag, but once in a while) and can customize more.

Next to that, I use Yahoo messenger at times, but pails in comparison...

There is a lot I am forgetting about.

10-13-10 09:20 PM
    Sadly, there are a lot of people out there who only use a BB for BBM only. I myself thought I was one of those users till I switched to Android for a month. The advantage of BBM over text is pretty big imo, what with groups, the notifications, and the ability to easily send files over.
    10-14-10 12:56 AM
    I for one uses BBM alot. I have lots of friends and relatives outside of the country and this is really cheap. Plus is the D/R Notification, I mean, you are not left hangging, wondering if they received and read it and just ignored you or if the received it but to busy to reply. For other things, I use YM. For others that don't have BB and YM capable phone then that's the only time i SMS them.
    10-14-10 01:42 AM
    BBM doesn't compete with sms/mms, it competes with gtalk/yahoo messenger/windows live messenger.
    When you're abroad all your sms/mms cost you extra even if you're receiving and international sms/mms is extra in the first place even if you're in your own country.

10-14-10 06:07 AM
    personally i use both. i have unlimited txt with my service but i have a few people that i would send BBMs internationally.
    10-14-10 06:25 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD